Free France Campaign

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Re: Free France Campaign

Post by bru888 »

Free France 1940-1945 v0.62 has been uploaded. It includes the new Indochina scenario.

Free France 1940-1945 (twenty-one scenarios)

Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (535.53 KiB) Viewed 1544 times
Screenshot 2.jpg
Screenshot 2.jpg (517.93 KiB) Viewed 1544 times
Screenshot 3.jpg
Screenshot 3.jpg (539.13 KiB) Viewed 1544 times
Screenshot 1a.jpg
Screenshot 1a.jpg (118.23 KiB) Viewed 1544 times
Screenshot 2a.jpg
Screenshot 2a.jpg (115.13 KiB) Viewed 1544 times
Screenshot 3a.jpg
Screenshot 3a.jpg (126.13 KiB) Viewed 1544 times
Screenshot 4.jpg
Screenshot 4.jpg (238.47 KiB) Viewed 1544 times
Screenshot 5.jpg
Screenshot 5.jpg (150.48 KiB) Viewed 1544 times
Screenshot 6.jpg
Screenshot 6.jpg (189.6 KiB) Viewed 1544 times
Screenshot 7.jpg
Screenshot 7.jpg (183.28 KiB) Viewed 1544 times
Screenshot 8.jpg
Screenshot 8.jpg (171.56 KiB) Viewed 1544 times

Timing and gameplay balance are the issue here. I have played it through a couple of times; once with no enemy opposition and once with no friendly efforts. 18 evacuation vehicles exited in 36 turns seems to be the right combination, but we will see.

For alterations, I would prefer not to change the French OoB. Instead, I would like any opinions on adjusting the following, in decreasing order of preference:
• Number of exited vehicles.
• Enemy strength, up or down.
• Resources per turn, either side.*
• Number of turns.

*Note that this is one scenario in which the player has very little resource income compared to the enemy. This is intentional. It must be understood that the French are NOT supposed to win this battle! That would be ridiculously ahistorical. The player wins by holding off the ever-increasing Japanese forces long enough to evacuate 18 vehicles.

EDIT: I just realized that I neglected to include a couple of messages that briefly explain the SOE Force 136 and Corps Léger d'Intervention units. These will be in version 0.63, shortly, and will be the only difference between versions 0.63 and 0.62.
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

ColonelY wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:15 am Ah, Flying Tigers! :P

Considering the number of French planes available at the start, I believe that :idea: we would need at least 3 units of P-51 Mustangs, what do you think? :?:
Of course, they could be named "Flying Tigers". :wink:
Heh, I thought of this and I wanted to, but I could not include Flying Tigers in this scenario. I got so far as to (unnecessarily) include the Communist Chinese faction to use for Flying Tiger planes (I had already used Nationalist Chinese as a neutral faction to represent China and their border troops) but then I remembered: This is 1945.

According to Wikipedia, "On 4 July 1942 the AVG [American Volunteer Group, or Flying Tigers] was disbanded and replaced by the 23rd Fighter Group of the United States Army Air Forces, which was later absorbed into the U.S. Fourteenth Air Force with General Chennault as commander." The 14th Air Force was flying its own planes, with U.S. markings, after that. So, the four P-51 Mustangs appear as U.S. planes. Which is just as well, because the Communist Chinese markings on the P-51s would have bothered me.

The Communist Chinese faction remains in the scenario, but neutral and unused. I learned long ago not to delete factions or AI teams from a scenario due to the risk of file corruption.

Incidentally, as we discussed earlier, there are no campaign variable triggers in this one. Each type of troops is assigned an appropriate level of experience. We may be finished with those triggers since I am thinking that from here on out, troops will be starting scenarios with advanced experience anyway.
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

bru888 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:54 pm EDIT: I just realized that I neglected to include a couple of messages that briefly explain the SOE Force 136 and Corps Léger d'Intervention units. These will be in version 0.63, shortly, and will be the only difference between versions 0.63 and 0.62.
Free France 1940-1945 v0.63 has been uploaded. It includes the new Indochina scenario with the following messages added.

BACK-TO-BACK ON TURN 3:

Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (194.2 KiB) Viewed 1525 times
Screenshot 2.jpg
Screenshot 2.jpg (193.1 KiB) Viewed 1525 times
Screenshot 3.jpg
Screenshot 3.jpg (189 KiB) Viewed 1525 times
Screenshot 4.jpg
Screenshot 4.jpg (192.84 KiB) Viewed 1525 times
Screenshot 5.jpg
Screenshot 5.jpg (195.55 KiB) Viewed 1525 times

VICTORY MESSAGES:

Screenshot 6.jpg
Screenshot 6.jpg (188.21 KiB) Viewed 1525 times
Screenshot 7.jpg
Screenshot 7.jpg (210.31 KiB) Viewed 1525 times
Screenshot 8.jpg
Screenshot 8.jpg (131.93 KiB) Viewed 1525 times
Screenshot 9.jpg
Screenshot 9.jpg (132.23 KiB) Viewed 1525 times
Screenshot 10.jpg
Screenshot 10.jpg (142.95 KiB) Viewed 1525 times

Victory messages, inserted just after the primary objectives have been completed, have been working out well. I assume that will be the case here.
- Bru
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

First glance at French Indochina: 8)

Well, I’ve not had the time to play it entirely yet (it will come soon :wink: ), but here are already few elements I’ve noticed (besides the fact that it’s looking really awesome :D ):

-> Two French tank units are useless now :? because they have the French flag (and no AI setup, in case...) instead of the Free French flag that they should certainly have… 1 stands near Hanoi, 1 stands near Cao Bâng (in the North). :wink: Fixed.

-> SW Jap group (Zone 1): perhaps deploying the artillery closer to the colored “border” :wink: , so that it’s much more likely to fire at least a few shots at the first French garrison when their infantry attacks it? Moved it up to second in line. Noticed it bombarding Dien Bien Phu in a test run.

-> S Jap group (Zone 2): no arty yet? :| Perhaps "another" ( :wink: ) mobile armored artillery unit there as well :idea: one able to switch to AT-mod and vice-versa as well. :twisted: Swapped a recon unit for mobile artillery.

-> A cool and immersive event :idea: would be welcome about Zone 3, when the times come… I won’t spoil it here, you know what I mean! :D And we should have enough pictures related to this, already. :wink: Added:

Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (178.87 KiB) Viewed 1493 times

-> For Zone 3, perhaps directly replacing the initial regular infantry by :idea: marines... (Only the initial units, NOT their later reinf. :wink: ) Replaced three infantry with three marines.

-> To let the Japs have some special forces too, what about :idea: spawning in some forests, somewhere around the Luc Nam River, perhaps 2 units of Japanese snipers and 2 units of Giretsu Kuteitai? (There are basically 3 nearby possible spots to group these 4 units, hidden between trees.) They could start there, wait a little until either enough turns have passed or until some French (land) unit come close enough, couldn't they? :D Let's see about the gameplay balance first. Besides, I am skeptical about the Japanese deploying snipers during a coup d'état — it doesn't seem like something they would waste time doing. I like the marines; Zone 3 needs to move along more. Jap commandos are weak, but could be interesting as Chindit hunters. Let's see how it goes; if the French have it too easy, maybe we can add some Giretsu Kuteitai.
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Free France 1940-1945 v0.64 has been uploaded. It includes all of the changes in Indochina discussed in the preceding post.

- Bru
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

21Indochina: 8)
(v0.64, lvl III)

Truly an awesome scenario, enjoyable to play! :D

And it changes: environment, climate (it's monsoon, my word! :o :lol: )... number of objectives for once lower. :D

I'll try to keep it short. Anyway, let's dive into another feedback, shall we?

MV end of turn 34, start of turn 35 (out of 36 turns) => it’s perfectly manageable, even if I’ve been rather “unlucky” (the random aspect! :roll: just excellent! :D ) to see Japanese bombers destroying several evac vehic almost one after another… which was excellent, by the way, for immersion, but at that time a little worrisome! Anyway, once the (major) victory was achieved, I had 2 other vehicles ready to be evacuated within one turn or two. So, perfectly doable anyway in due time. And I’ve tried not to use more RPs that those from the Free French income… :wink:

:arrow: So, about your questions:

1. I would say, no, no need to modify the number of exited vehicles, nor the number of turns, nor the Free French income! :wink:

2. Yes, the two victory messages are shown before the actual end of the scenario, so it’s indeed working as expected. :D

3. Now, related to enemy strength, first an overall impression and then few suggestions:

Overall impression: :D This is excellent, because several times and at different points of the battlefield, the player can (or "could") hold the Japanese in check and make them lose several units... so that he can start to believe that he will hold on at all, and then with the reinforcements arriving, he still must start withdrawing... perfect from a tactical point of view, very pleasant to play.

Local observations:

A) The Japs from Z3 had strong difficulties to somehow leave the coastal sector (as you’ve already noticed, according to what I’ve understood from your comment when switching to initially Marines there) and they haven’t managed to take Hanoi at scenario end (well, I’ve had concentrated some defensive means there, but still).

B) Air superiority gained with the help of the US planes… (French bomber & ground-attacker/interceptor sent to help in the West, safely away from enemy planes; French dogfighters not lasting very long, but baiting enemy dogfighter to come over efficient AA units… Japs fighters strongly damaged by AA… fighters even attacking AA units, taking heavy damages in return! :shock: :? once US came, they’ve cleaned the skies… then not much more in the skies until scenario end, as the Japs have no air reinf yet - well, no, they should have had :? , it's just that they've never taken Hanoi :lol: )

:idea: Suggestions:
-> Reduce “Aggression” level of both enemy fighters and bombers, perhaps to 75 (?). :wink: Why? Well, otherwise they tend not to respect orders :roll: (their respective “target definition”, that is).

-> Plan adding another possibility for Jap air reinf… Indeed, what if the player defends well Hanoi, including it’s Aéroport? Now, if he keeps it during the entire scenario, no Jap air reinf at all! :shock:
So, I suggest duplicating your actual trigger and modifying this copy like this: :wink:
Conditions: Turn from 22 to 24 (you’re pick!), Aéroport (still) belonging to Free French
Effects: Spawn the very same planes that you’ve already selected BUT dispersed above Cat Ba and Ha Long… & modify the event text (and title) to perhaps something like “As the Japanese are still struggling to gain air superiority, much to the surprise of Japanese HQ, some additional units have been allocated to this front.”
Important: A last adaptation to BOTH of these triggers: I recommend that the activation of any of these triggers do actually disable the other one. So that the Japs may have their aerial reinforcements, whatever will happen on this battlefield, but only once, not possibly twice! :wink:

-> For immersion, adding from scenario start one Jap recon plane patrolling first over the coastal area (around Ha Long and Haiphong) and later deeper inside, like around Viet Tri, Hanoi and the flags Luc Nam River and Câu River (so above and a little northern of Hanoi), etc. As candidate, perhaps a H8K Seiku:P

-> At some point, what about adding one single flametank unit for the “regular” Z3 group? Perhaps once they’ve taken their third target? :twisted: (Or, at least another "regular" tank for them. :wink: )

The “regular” Z3 group? :o Yes, because I suggest adding another component to this group, maybe like this:

-> Once they’ve captured their second target (the “regular” Z3 group, I mean), then spawning (where the Marines have spawned, more or less) a rather small detachment, let’s say 1 recon Sumida and 2 regular infantry with armored transport capability (like the Type 1 Ho-Ha). 8)
AI setup? First “move to hex”, targeting somewhere east of the flag “Luc Nam River” (near a road or something), not ignoring the enemy. Then straight north, towards “Lang Son”. :wink:

-> To compensate this immersive addition, one could grant another bunker for the player… let’s say, from the “Lang Son” flag: 3 hexes south, then 1 hex SE… so in the forest, next to the road…
Won’t it be too much for this area, having two bunkers? :| Not necessarily, and it could even be introduced as well using History, with a cool, nice and immersive reference to the “Fortress of Mac” :lol: (or rather “of the Mac Dynasty” :roll: ), as this area has been known to be well protected ( https://www.vietnamonline.com/attractio ... g-son.html )... So, as modernized remnants of this period, having some extra defenses here and there, well… :wink:

-> Definitely, we could add from 2 to 3 Giretsu Kuteitai at some point :P (randomly spawned?), but I would say not much more than that.

Otherwise, well, you did a pretty good job describing the pri obj, but I got a little bit confused when reading this “b) there is a friendly land unit within one hex of the VP at both ends.” Because, on map, near China, we’ve actually 2 VPs each time, right?, one primary (checkpoint) and one secondary (actual town)… I was wondering if moving southwards the tank, for example, would “kill” this sector, then I’ve compared the deployment around these 4 French towns to see that, definitely, no it shouldn’t (and it doesn’t, of course!)… I don’t know, maybe one could add “[…] of the sec VP […]” or “[…] of the secondary VP at both ends […]”?

Et voilà ! :D
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

Oh, and now the description of the campaign event "Amherst Drop" ends with a "[...] It is being called 'Opertion Amherst.' " Well, small typo: Operation! :wink:
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Free France 1940-1945 v0.65 has been uploaded. It includes all the changes in Indochina listed below.

• Removed the one-turn delay for activating the Japanese destroyers. Now they attack in Turn 1 which will move up the Zone 3 attack and the appearance of the enemy airstrip and planes by one turn as well. As far as attacking Hanoi, I already have done what I can without changing the premise of Zone 3 being a naval landing. Naturally, they would secure Ha Long, Haiphong, and Hai Duong first. They do eventually get to Hanoi but if the player chooses to fortify it, they will be delayed. Remember, Hanoi is just another evacuation staging point; defending it merely because it is the province capital may cost the player other staging points. (Now, if the player is doing so with the idea of delaying the Zone 3 attack which he knows will be from east to west, then more power to him. That is the kind of tactical thinking that I look for and admire.)
• Indeed, the Japanese air reinforcements should not have to wait for Hanoi to fall. Therefore, I took your suggestion to create another Air Reinforcement trigger to fire on Turn 22, spawning the same planes over Cat Ba. Since the Hanoi airport was supposed to lend more air supply, the same trigger spawns another airstrip east of Ha Long. Now, if the player does not defend Hanoi, perhaps the AI gets more planes earlier. If not, the AI receives aerial reinforcements on Turn 22. Each trigger turns the other one off.

Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (682.21 KiB) Viewed 1438 times

• Just to be sure, I added a couple of enemy airstrips in Laos. That led to the idea of dispersing some of the spawned planes to these locations, to spread them out a bit.
• Dialed back enemy plane aggression from 99 to 75 "to respect orders." The tactical bombers are supposed to concentrate on the evacuation vehicles, and no plane should be attacking AA guns. They may still do so, but 75 is the lowest we can go before planes start returning to base and hibernating.
• Added a Japanese recon plane (I chose the Aichi E13A instead of H8K Seiku which looks too imposing to me, more like a bomber) and gave it a patrol assignment with points all over the map. The player can have repeated joy shooting this plane down, because if it is killed, a new one will spawn!
• You know my soft spot: historical monuments (and feisty women). Included a Fortress of the Mac Dynasty near Lang Son:

Screenshot 3.jpg
Screenshot 3.jpg (642.18 KiB) Viewed 1438 times

• There is now a "Jap Detachment" that spawns once the enemy has taken Ha Long and Haiphong. It is 1 recon Sumida and 2 regular infantry with armored transport capability (Type 1 Ho-Ha) plus 1 Soko Sagyo Ki flame tank. This AI team proceeds west, then north to the Fortress of the Mac Dynasty. After destroying that, it moves to Lang Son, Cao Bâng, etc., all of the border crossing towns in reverse of the Zone Attack 1 agenda. This is a real threat that we have introduced. See note below.*
• See if this explanation of the primary objective mechanism is more understandable:

Screenshot 2.jpg
Screenshot 2.jpg (712.01 KiB) Viewed 1438 times

• Corrected the spelling of "Operation Amherst" in the campaign message.

* Note: These are the recent changes that have made Indochina more difficult:
- Moved the threshold of exited evacuation vehicles from 16 to 18 (this was just before I released the scenario).
- Swapped an enemy recon unit out, replacing it with artillery.
- Exchanged three enemy infantry units for marines, a stronger unit.
- Began the attack in the east one turn sooner.
- Guaranteed the Japanese aerial reinforcements.
- Spread bombers and fighters across the map.
- Gave the enemy "eyes in the sky."
- And above all, added 4 more highly mobile land units with a special mission to kill the fortress and take the border crossing towns.

To balance this, the French were given a crumbling old fort.

You played this through, and you came within a turn or two of defeat by not completing 18 evactuations until Turn 34/35. You are a superior player (witness "French bomber & ground-attacker/interceptor sent to help in the West, safely away from enemy planes; French dogfighters not lasting very long, but baiting enemy dogfighter to come over efficient AA units… ") and you barely made it. Before release, I timed it several times; 36 turns is rather good timing for the task given the circumstances at the time. Not too difficult.

Now though, I feel we may have overbalanced it in favor of the Japanese. If you are willing to replay the scenario, please do so and see what you think.

Now that we have added these elements, here's my thinking:
- No more Japanese units. This is a sudden and brutal coup d'état with Japanese forces targeting garrisons and proceeding directly to them for subduing. I don't see them bothering with dispersing guerillas and commandos into the interior.
- Besides, if we do that, then that takes even more away from the human player in that his Force 136, CLI, and 5th Foreign Legion units will be battling snipers and Giretsu Kuteitai in the jungle instead of trying to delay the enemy from taking the towns. So no, let's skip these extra Japanese units.

If we have overbalanced this in favor of the Japanese, I don't want to dial back what we have done up until now for the Japanese. I like the special detachment idea! And I love the fortress ... So I would propose to add a tactical U.S. bomber or two when the 51st Fighter Group appears, or perhaps a few more French bunkers (regular, not concrete) here and there.
- Bru
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

Hey, hey, this is shaping up even more beautifully. :D

Yes, to me this explanation of the primary objective mechanism is now perfect, thanks.

Okay, let's forget about snipers and Giretsu Kuteitai.

Indeed, I'm convinced that 36 turns is a good timing.

You're right, perhaps it's a little overbalanced now in favor of Japanese forces... :? perhaps, we'll see... :wink:

:arrow: Oh yes, I'll replay this scenario relatively soon - you can count on it! :D

I agree with you about anyway not dialing back what has been done for the Japs. But, in case, some extra Allied units could become welcome. 8)

1. One or two tactical US bombers? :| It would be interesting, but I would rather vote against this idea, because it may be in opposition to the (historical) event "No Assistance" (that has to be kept :wink: ).

2A. A few more regular Free French bunkers here and there? That's definitely an option, and a nice one. :D

2B. ... Though, one could consider instead :idea: a few Free French MG-foxholes here and there... It would add more visual variation on the map, would contribute to slow down a little enemy units and anyway MG-fox are weaker against infantry attacks than bunkers... :wink:

:idea: What could perhaps still be added, without giving details as to the location(s) - of course! - could be an event with a nice picture of a bridge in the jungle... a bridge that is intact or exploding or has already exposed, to see... to give the player a little hint (why not?), to draw his attention to the fact that many of his units are capable of blowing up bridges... also, if the player spots a bridge in a good strategic location, then he might consider doing something about it.
Such an action costs 10 RPs, but that's precisely the value of the Free French income, so it's playable - no pun intended... well, yeah, just a little indeed! :lol:
This event could even come :idea: with the info that some explosives have been taken from some tactical reserve for this purpose -> +10 RPs (a gift, somehow, enough to blow up one bridge... or to be used differently, according to the player's wishes, like a single turn double-income :wink: )
(Two bridges were blown up when I played! It may be worth it.)
bru888

Post by bru888 »

I love the flat lowlands of Holland. Much farm terrain means no mountain arranging and less tree decorations.

But, the place names! ¡Ay, caramba! :shock:

"Amsterdamscheveld"? "Beetsterzwaag"? "Gasselternijveen"? "Hollandscheveld"? "Klazienaveen"? "Musselkanaal"? "Oosterhesselen"?

I could go on and on ...

You are going to need a magnifying glass to read these names in this Amherst Drop scenario. :roll:
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

bru888 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:44 pm I love the flat lowlands of Holland. Much farm terrain means no mountain arranging and less tree decorations.

But, the place names! ¡Ay, caramba! :shock:

"Amsterdamscheveld"? "Beetsterzwaag"? "Gasselternijveen"? "Hollandscheveld"? "Klazienaveen"? "Musselkanaal"? "Oosterhesselen"?

I could go on and on ...

You are going to need a magnifying glass to read these names in this Amherst Drop scenario. :roll:
My favorite so far: "Vroomshoop"

This is a town that is famous for selling racing cars? :)
- Bru
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

:shock: Good luck with all those names! :lol: ( :wink: )
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

21Indochina: 8)
(v0.65, 2nd test)

You’re right, it's much better with the Japanese destroyers active from the start - they go straight to the attack in effect, which increases the impression of being in defensive mode, so that one is directly "plunged in". :twisted:

And it's also much better with the Japanese planes spread out like this... they still have the luxury, from time to time, to target a "target of opportunity", without insisting, so it's all good. And we’ve more opportunities to keep some of the Free French dogfighters a little longer in these skies! :D

Very good also the couple fortress & Japanese detachment... :wink:
8) The randomness is great in itself, but then the luck factor can have a pretty big role to play... maybe too big, in fact. :o

I usually don't trust luck too much, they say it's a capricious mistress... :roll:

Look: In the short term, Dien Bien Phu and Son La, both in the southwest, are doomed. So are, in the southeast, the cities of Ha Long, Haiphong and, a little later, Hai Duong... => So, 5 down out of 12, so almost half of the towns to be lost, that can’t really be avoided. :?

But then it means that, there is then almost 50% chance to see no evac vehicle being spawned per turn… and, if the player gets a little unlucky, this can be like this several turns in a row. (I’ve encountered this situation this time! :x )

Then, probably the bombers will destroy one or two of them (that’s excellent! :wink: ), and now this may happen at various places over the battlefield (instead of “only” in the East as in the previous version – so that’s even better! :D )…

At the very last turn, I’ve seen one evac vehicle being spawn at Hanoi :shock: , starting to move… and being directly ambushed by a Japanese infantry unit hidden between trees! :lol: But so much in the South, at that time, it would have no chance at all to exit the map anyway… :(

At scenario end, there were three or four evac vehicles moving on the map… but only 16 out of 18 evacuated for good! :oops:

Well, I’m not really known for being a lucky guy! :lol: :roll: ( :wink: )

:arrow: Anyway, here is :idea: bunch of suggestions about French evac:
1. Delete both “Random trigger T35” and “Random trigger T36”, and perhaps even “Random trigger T34”… no real need to spawn a few of them that won’t have time to leave the battlefield anyway. :wink:
2. In case of the “Lose Border Crossings” (nope, I haven’t lost any of them!)… why setting an idle AI status? :| One could instead use a “move to hex” targeting the next closest border checkpoint. Ok, it’s rather unlikely to happen anyway, but there is no reason to then just sit down and wait death… they would try to find another exit, wouldn’t they? So, just in case…
3. To compensate for the “unluck” possibility (doesn’t matter how good the player actually is, if it happens there is not much he can do), I’ll suggest to increase evac rate at some point… one way to do it would be to eliminate, from a certain point in time, the four towns that we’re sure they can’t be defended for long (namely the border towns Dien Bien Phu and Son La, as well as the coastal towns Ha Long and Haiphong). But, seeing the amount of “Random trigger” it wouldn’t be very nice for you… Another option, coherent anyway on overall as there is NO indication in the pri obj description about the NUMBER of units possibly spawned per turn, would be to choose several turns around the middle of the scenario (3 or 4, but that don’t necessarily have to be taken in a row!), so to open the corresponding “Random trigger TXYZ” and to increase the amount from 1 to 2!
Well, and one could :idea: stop the enemy from getting land reinforcement towards scenario end as well (the 2 or 3 last turns, I mean). At that time, it makes less sense, as they shouldn’t have enough time anyway to reach actual fighting areas… (And may slow, a very little bit, of course, but still, the turns because unless the player does a decent amount of damages to Japanese units, there’ll be more and more that the AI will have to manage.)
Having failed (but not from much!) the pri obj, the scenario ended in a “Minor Defeat”, which lead then to a campaign defeat… :| Well, well… But this has allowed me to make two observations:
1. Awesome choice for picture, in case of a defeat! :D Very immersive (and giving the envy to start immediately to do better! :wink: ).
2. :shock: There is this bug related to the campaign defeat text… I don’t remember where, but it has been mentioned somewhere in the Forum: now, one may encounter this text which comes from, well, I think it was from the Pacific DLC… => It’s not the proper message (the phrase you’ve written, I mean) that appears there, but I don’t know if we can do something about this (I doubt it). :?
Let’s forget about my previous suggestion related to bridge… the problem is that the player has to think about it, to move one unit able to blow up a bridge and to let it wait here when it’s the AI turn… and there may be some Japanese unit charging from some nearby trees and, in a single attack, doing a blasting attack against this unit of ours, making it retreat one or two hexes backwards… and thus missing the opportunity to actually blow the bridge, as being no longer over it!
And the fact that many hexes could contain enemy hidden units make this tactical maneuver somewhat aleatory... thus a risk-taking, in spite of a reflection which can be correct, which has great chances not to carry these fruits. :?
As consequence, probably simply "just" a gift of 10 extra RPs for the player… becoming less and less meaningful in this scenario… :roll:
When I’ve played, Hanoi was kept under control throughout the entire scenario. Nghia Lo was lost only around the last turns of the scenario. But there was some concern about Lào Cai (threatened but never lost), with reinforcements sent in rather urgently on that side.

Around Lang Son, the fortress was destroyed, but the Jap detachment whipped out soon after that… and now the AT-unit near Lang Son is perfectly relevant! 8)
:arrow: To help the player a little bit, I’ll suggest two elements:

1. One could :idea: blow up a bridge using triggers… If yes, which one? I would then suggest the one that seems most relevant: east of the city of Son La (evac town), there is a Black River flag... southeast of it, a bridge (about 7 hexes from Son La, then).
When? When Japs have taken Son La and have their first unit closing in at perhaps 2 or 3 hexes away (or even less!) from this bridge… Then, yes, a nice and immersive event would be welcome.
That shall definitely delay them a little: They can pass anyway, but slower, or use the bridge upstream or the bridge downstream (which one is which? :| :lol: ), thus making a small detour...

2. One could :idea: add 2 Free French MG-foxholes, in the western sector, on mountainous hexes… From Lào Cai (border town), if we follow the road westwards, we’ll find (at about 6 hexes away) a crossroads from which three roads start... just 1 hex southeast of there, there is a mountain... There, the first one!
Then, if we follow the road roughly southward, on about 10 hexes, we find another similar crossroads, close to another mountain... There, the second one!
They will offer a small visual on this sector as well as a support... that will delay a little the enemies while allowing to make them some damage.
Then, well, I’ll replay this a third time, looking especially at evac numbers… :wink:

Speaking of which, well, one last idea, perhaps. It might help the player, in terms of overview and clarity, to :idea: add a counter of remaining evacuation towns. :D

For example with a new secondary objective: "Don't lose all evacuation towns", starting enabled and checked directly, showing "XYZ/12" and switched to failed only in the (very unlikely) case if these 12 places have the Japanese flag! :wink:

Et voilà! :D
bru888

Post by bru888 »

ColonelY wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:42 pm 21Indochina: 8)
(v0.65, 2nd test)

You’re right, it's much better with the Japanese destroyers active from the start - they go straight to the attack in effect, which increases the impression of being in defensive mode, so that one is directly "plunged in". :twisted:

And it's also much better with the Japanese planes spread out like this... they still have the luxury, from time to time, to target a "target of opportunity", without insisting, so it's all good. And we’ve more opportunities to keep some of the Free French dogfighters a little longer in these skies! :D

Very good also the couple fortress & Japanese detachment... :wink:
8) The randomness is great in itself, but then the luck factor can have a pretty big role to play... maybe too big, in fact. :o I like the randomness. Luck plays a role in all of life, particularly in war.

I usually don't trust luck too much, they say it's a capricious mistress... :roll: Well, I wouldn't know. I would like to know, maybe, but I wouldn't know. About the mistress part. :roll:

Look: In the short term, Dien Bien Phu and Son La, both in the southwest, are doomed. So are, in the southeast, the cities of Ha Long, Haiphong and, a little later, Hai Duong... => So, 5 down out of 12, so almost half of the towns to be lost, that can’t really be avoided. :? As intended. The player is supposed to look at the map, gauge the situation, and make decisions. One decision might be to withdraw forces from those southernmost towns, fortify the rest, and hope for the best. Another might be to see what is happening, in the southeast perhaps, and figure that if you can fortify Haiphong or Hai Duong, you will buy time for the towns to the west and north.

But then it means that, there is then almost 50% chance to see no evac vehicle being spawned per turn… and, if the player gets a little unlucky, this can be like this several turns in a row. (I’ve encountered this situation this time! :x ) As intended. See note below*

Then, probably the bombers will destroy one or two of them (that’s excellent! :wink: ), and now this may happen at various places over the battlefield (instead of “only” in the East as in the previous version – so that’s even better! :D )… I'm glad to hear this.

At the very last turn, I’ve seen one evac vehicle being spawn at Hanoi :shock: , starting to move… and being directly ambushed by a Japanese infantry unit hidden between trees! :lol: But so much in the South, at that time, it would have no chance at all to exit the map anyway… :( My response: :twisted:

At scenario end, there were three or four evac vehicles moving on the map… but only 16 out of 18 evacuated for good! :oops: Now, bear in mind that I could dial it back to 16 again. See note below*

Well, I’m not really known for being a lucky guy! :lol: :roll: ( :wink: ) You are lucky to have OOB and a dedicated designer working with and for you! (And I am lucky that you have taken the time to be so involved with this project.)

:arrow: Anyway, here is :idea: bunch of suggestions about French evac:
1. Delete both “Random trigger T35” and “Random trigger T36”, and perhaps even “Random trigger T34”… no real need to spawn a few of them that won’t have time to leave the battlefield anyway. :wink: Eh, they aren't harming anything. Are they? You have not mentioned whether the game is overly slow when running this scenario, especially in later turns.
2. In case of the “Lose Border Crossings” (nope, I haven’t lost any of them!)… why setting an idle AI status? :| One could instead use a “move to hex” targeting the next closest border checkpoint. Ok, it’s rather unlikely to happen anyway, but there is no reason to then just sit down and wait death… they would try to find another exit, wouldn’t they? So, just in case… This, in fact, makes a lot of sense and would be easy to do: Just Exit the Map if the assigned border crossing town falls. This alone may restore balance. I should have thought of this, because it would be more realistic than stopping dead in their tracks. Thanks! See note below*
3. To compensate for the “unluck” possibility (doesn’t matter how good the player actually is, if it happens there is not much he can do), I’ll suggest to increase evac rate at some point… one way to do it would be to eliminate, from a certain point in time, the four towns that we’re sure they can’t be defended for long (namely the border towns Dien Bien Phu and Son La, as well as the coastal towns Ha Long and Haiphong). But, seeing the amount of “Random trigger” it wouldn’t be very nice for you… Another option, coherent anyway on overall as there is NO indication in the pri obj description about the NUMBER of units possibly spawned per turn, would be to choose several turns around the middle of the scenario (3 or 4, but that don’t necessarily have to be taken in a row!), so to open the corresponding “Random trigger TXYZ” and to increase the amount from 1 to 2!
******* Too much complication. How to gauge when to make adjustments, and where? No, the random aspect stays as is; it's a built-in challenge to hold off the enemy for as long and in as many places as possible.
Well, and one could :idea: stop the enemy from getting land reinforcement towards scenario end as well (the 2 or 3 last turns, I mean). At that time, it makes less sense, as they shouldn’t have enough time anyway to reach actual fighting areas… (And may slow, a very little bit, of course, but still, the turns because unless the player does a decent amount of damages to Japanese units, there’ll be more and more that the AI will have to manage.) Eh, I'm not sure about this. Say the player guesses correctly and rushes defenders to Dien Bien Phu (or next-in-line Muong Lay), Son La (or next-in-line Nghia Lo) and/or Ha Long (or next-in-line Haiphong). Especially in the southeast; the second (or third) time around — don't forget that the campaign can be restarted from the previously successful save — he might have figured out that the best strategy would be to leave at least one unit behind (so the evacuation triggers fire) and move the tank and four infantry battalions from Hanoi, Hai Duong, and Haiphong to Ha Long. That would hold up the Japs considerably! Ha Long may still be in contention at the end of the scenario. But again, have you noticed any degradation of performance in later turns?
Having failed (but not from much!) the pri obj, the scenario ended in a “Minor Defeat”, which lead then to a campaign defeat… :| Well, well… But this has allowed me to make two observations:
1. Awesome choice for picture, in case of a defeat! :D Very immersive (and giving the envy to start immediately to do better! :wink: ). You mean the rising sun flag? It is striking, I must say. It reminds me of the decision made very early in this campaign to use flags for outcome images. That decision has saved me a ton of time that would have been spent trying to find appropriate ending images for every scenario; e.g., "Happy Japanese / Sad French" versus "Sad Japanese / Happy French."
2. :shock: There is this bug related to the campaign defeat text… I don’t remember where, but it has been mentioned somewhere in the Forum: now, one may encounter this text which comes from, well, I think it was from the Pacific DLC… => It’s not the proper message (the phrase you’ve written, I mean) that appears there, but I don’t know if we can do something about this (I doubt it). :? It's their bug, not something we can do anything about. I've been meaning to mention to you that I saw it in our own campaign end. viewtopic.php?f=541&t=105558
Let’s forget about my previous suggestion related to bridge… the problem is that the player has to think about it, to move one unit able to blow up a bridge and to let it wait here when it’s the AI turn… and there may be some Japanese unit charging from some nearby trees and, in a single attack, doing a blasting attack against this unit of ours, making it retreat one or two hexes backwards… and thus missing the opportunity to actually blow the bridge, as being no longer over it!
And the fact that many hexes could contain enemy hidden units make this tactical maneuver somewhat aleatory... thus a risk-taking, in spite of a reflection which can be correct, which has great chances not to carry these fruits. :?
As consequence, probably simply "just" a gift of 10 extra RPs for the player… becoming less and less meaningful in this scenario… :roll: Plus it makes little sense to be blowing bridges that evacuation vehicles may need to cross.
When I’ve played, Hanoi was kept under control throughout the entire scenario. Nghia Lo was lost only around the last turns of the scenario. But there was some concern about Lào Cai (threatened but never lost), with reinforcements sent in rather urgently on that side.

Around Lang Son, the fortress was destroyed, but the Jap detachment whipped out soon after that… and now the AT-unit near Lang Son is perfectly relevant! 8)
:arrow: To help the player a little bit, I’ll suggest two elements:

1. One could :idea: blow up a bridge using triggers… If yes, which one? I would then suggest the one that seems most relevant: east of the city of Son La (evac town), there is a Black River flag... southeast of it, a bridge (about 7 hexes from Son La, then).
When? When Japs have taken Son La and have their first unit closing in at perhaps 2 or 3 hexes away (or even less!) from this bridge… Then, yes, a nice and immersive event would be welcome.
That shall definitely delay them a little: They can pass anyway, but slower, or use the bridge upstream or the bridge downstream (which one is which? :| :lol: ), thus making a small detour... I forgot that commandos and Chindits can blow bridges! I was meaning to ask you about this ... :oops: Your refining this bridge blowing idea (as opposed to the previous version) makes it more enticing. See note below*

2. One could :idea: add 2 Free French MG-foxholes, in the western sector, on mountainous hexes… From Lào Cai (border town), if we follow the road westwards, we’ll find (at about 6 hexes away) a crossroads from which three roads start... just 1 hex southeast of there, there is a mountain... There, the first one!
Then, if we follow the road roughly southward, on about 10 hexes, we find another similar crossroads, close to another mountain... There, the second one!
They will offer a small visual on this sector as well as a support... that will delay a little the enemies while allowing to make them some damage. See note below*
Then, well, I’ll replay this a third time, looking especially at evac numbers… :wink: If you are willing, I do appreciate it. Besides, with the amount of changes that we have been making in each of these revised versions, I am thinking that you find it interesting to replay the scenario to see what works.

Speaking of which, well, one last idea, perhaps. It might help the player, in terms of overview and clarity, to :idea: add a counter of remaining evacuation towns. :D

For example with a new secondary objective: "Don't lose all evacuation towns", starting enabled and checked directly, showing "XYZ/12" and switched to failed only in the (very unlikely) case if these 12 places have the Japanese flag! :wink: Meh, I can make just a counter which will show as a (perpetually) completed objective, like what I did for the body count in Operation Nordwind.

Et voilà! :D
*Note: Well, crazy guy, your wild (but wonderful) suggestions on behalf of the Japanese have apparently overbalanced the scenario in their favor to the point where even you are having problems! Based on your further wild (but wonderful) suggestions, here is what I will do for the next version (0.66):
• I will not tinker with the random evacuation staging module for the reasons stated above.
• For now, I will leave the threshold of evacuation vehicle exits at 18 but bear in mind, if after this it's too difficult, that could be the next quick fix.
• I will implement your great suggestion to have already dispatched evacuation vehicles that lose their border crossing towns to merely exit the map. This alone may redress the Japanese imbalance.
• I will design something that allows the player (or does it without his input) to blow certain strategically important bridges that will not impede the progress of evacuation vehicles.
• A few French bunkers and/or foxholes will be introduced. This, along with the threshold of evacuation vehicles, will be what we tinker with after these changes if the scenario is still out of balance. We want you (meaning, specifically, YOU) to have a guaranteed, but not overly easy, victory so that others will not be unfairly burdened.

I will also add an evacuation town counter. I will mention in the explanation that as the number of French-held evacuation towns fall, the chances of generating an evacuation vehicle each turn falls with it.
- Bru
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

Nice! :D
bru888 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:38 pm
(v0.65, 2nd test)

[...] Well, I’m not really known for being a lucky guy! :lol: :roll: ( :wink: ) You are lucky to have OOB and a dedicated designer working with and for you! (And I am lucky that you have taken the time to be so involved with this project.) :D Yes, it's true, and good teamwork is really something beautiful.

[...] Are they? You have not mentioned whether the game is overly slow when running this scenario, especially in later turns. No, there is no problem here. (You did mention this later as well, I am glad to be able to reassure you on this point.)

[...] I’ll suggest to increase evac rate at some point… [...]to choose several turns around the middle of the scenario (3 or 4, but that don’t necessarily have to be taken in a row!), so to open the corresponding “Random trigger TXYZ” and to increase the amount from 1 to 2!
******* Too much complication. How to gauge when to make adjustments, and where? No, the random aspect stays as is; it's a built-in challenge to hold off the enemy for as long and in as many places as possible.

Too much complication? :shock: Huh, I must have rambled on about too many potential options :lol: , resulting in not being clear enough in the end... :?

:arrow: What could be (easily) done would be to choose a few turns "at random" (there I mean chosen by us/you once and for all). Let's say, for example, turns 13, 17 and 19 (why not?).

Then, in the Editor, select the "Random trigger T13" trigger (path: "French Evacuations" -> "Random Triggers" -> "Random trigger T13" -> under "Effects", click on the "Random Trigger" -> then, above the list of 12 locations:) change "Amount" from 1 to 2. :idea:

So, for this turn, there will be 2 evacuation vehicles that may be spawned instead of one. The "luck" factor remains (by the way, maybe the 2 randomly chosen locations will already be under Japanese control and, therefore, no vehicles at all will appear in this turn), but this increases the chances a bit...
Then do this again for - say - "Random trigger T17" and "Random trigger T19".

This way, the whole system stays the same. It's just that for a few (pre-defined) turns, there will be a little more chance of a vehicle appearing... with even the possibility of 2 vehicles appearing - why not, by the way? Finally, people will board when they are ready, where they are... so regardless of what's happening on the other side of the province.

I would prefer that to dialing back the number of vehicles to be evacuated.
:wink:
[...]
[...]
Last edited by ColonelY on Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

bru888 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:38 pm

[...] 1. Awesome choice for picture, in case of a defeat! :D Very immersive (and giving the envy to start immediately to do better! :wink: ). You mean the rising sun flag? It is striking, I must say. It reminds me of the decision made very early in this campaign to use flags for outcome images. That decision has saved me a ton of time that would have been spent trying to find appropriate ending images for every scenario; e.g., "Happy Japanese / Sad French" versus "Sad Japanese / Happy French."
Using these flags for scenario victory, or defeat, was indeed a great idea! :D
Well, there I was rather referring to the campaign defeat picture :wink: , you know, the Frenchman who weeps (defeat.png in the campaign folder)... :cry: ( :lol: )

[...] Then, well, I’ll replay this a third time, looking especially at evac numbers… :wink: If you are willing, I do appreciate it. Besides, with the amount of changes that we have been making in each of these revised versions, I am thinking that you find it interesting to replay the scenario to see what works.
Yes, I do. :D That's what it takes. You have an idea, you weigh the pros and cons, then you test it, etc. And it's also a great way to learn well. :wink:

[...] • For now, I will leave the threshold of evacuation vehicle exits at 18 but bear in mind, if after this it's too difficult, that could be the next quick fix.
Of course. 8)
With, as a bonus, perhaps :idea: the chance to have in some (rare) occasions (thus at the time of some predefined turns, I mean) more chances to get an evacuation vehicle and maybe even a second evacuation vehicle... :D (And it can be quick and easy to implement, as we saw in the previous post. :wink:)

[...] I will also add an evacuation town counter. I will mention in the explanation that as the number of French-held evacuation towns fall, the chances of generating an evacuation vehicle each turn falls with it. Excellent! :D
bru888

Post by bru888 »

I get you now on the random trigger option to occasionally pick two towns instead of one. I prefer to not do this because it may tilt the balance excessively in the other direction (toward the French). I want to see what the upcoming changes do first. If we get back to the original balance, then we will be done.
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Free France 1940-1945 v0.66 has been uploaded. It includes all the changes in Indochina listed below.

• Built a mechanism to track the remaining number of evacuation towns:

Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (447.77 KiB) Viewed 1306 times

• "Orphaned" existing evacuation vehicles who lose their border crossing towns will try to Exit the Map instead of going Idle.
• Designed a series of bridge blowing triggers carefully set up to destroy only the bridges that are certain not to be needed by evacuation vehicles, according to when towns are captured. There's quite a few, but they are all in the south because middle and northern bridges could not be certain as to being needed by evacuation vehicles trying to exit the map:

Screenshot 2.jpg
Screenshot 2.jpg (171.02 KiB) Viewed 1306 times

• Added five bunkers (not foxholes — I cannot see foxholes on top of mountains and guarding key intersections — in the interior, at key intersections. These "Avant-postes" (Outposts), along with the "Contrôle Aérien" (Air Control) installations, bring the total number of French bunkers up to eight.

Let's see how you do now. I believe we agree that from this point on, we need to adjust only the number of likely evacuation spawns OR alter the threshold number of evacuation vehicles to be exited in 36 turns. Everything else should stay in place, unless something is really skewing results, so that we don't have multiple variables to deal with in seeking gameplay balance.

Remember, what we want is for you to have a mild challenge but ultimately win with a few turns to spare. Good luck, and thanks.
- Bru
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

Thanks, my friend.

So, here it is, 'played in the very last version, 21Indochina: 8)

How I’ve played ?
In the SE, this time, I defended Haiphong longer, unlike the previous times (because I expected that the Japanese destroyers, even damaged by the naval combat, would do more damage than they did in fact).

Then I've put a stand at Hai Duong instead of Hanoi - so Hai Duong remained under control until the end. :?

The added bunkers provide welcome support and it's nice to have them differentiated into two groups by their names. It doesn't take much away from the challenge but it does increase the player's comfort... (So, about bunkers, I would say: keep it as is!)
Major Victory at the beginning of turn 35... until the end, none of the border cities fell and at least 6 of the evacuation cities remained under control. However, at the end, only one evacuation vehicle was still approaching the checkpoints... it was still a close call (the "luck" factor... :? :lol: )! Especially since the Japanese bombers had some difficulties in the skies, since these planes suffered many losses... :twisted:
So, rather well played, I think, but still close... And it's not the difficulty of the battle as such, it's the rate of appearance of the vehicles to be saved...

:arrow: So I would propose to leave the limit at 18 that have to be evacuated (like now), but the option to have more chances to have them appear is still interesting to me... not too early (all cities still under control = guarantee to have 2 appear), not too late (time to travel)... I would say that in two or three occasions (or predefined turns) between turns 20 and 30...
And this would be nice, especially because, well, we may add a little extra something for the Japs once again…

:idea: Indeed, we may have to alter (increase sparingly) the number of likely evacuation spawn. :wink:
Two small :idea: suggestions to help the player:
1. At Haiphong, move the artillery just 1 hex north (but still fully entrenched), the "16th Colonial Infantry Regiment"... Thus, still in the city, but especially at the railroad, which will allow this unit to evacuate to the west as soon as the situation becomes too tense... and, thus, allow it to continue to contribute to the effort. :wink:

2. In Hà Giang (border town), why not add a means of transportation to the "19th Colonial Infantry Regiment"? (And only for this unit.) It's on the back burner and has to travel for a while before it can become useful in actively supporting the battle lines... if we want to add a few "French Trucks" somewhere, I think this is the very best opportunity - operationally speaking. :wink:
Now, there could still be :idea: a (very) last “litte extra something” to help the Japanese:

The troops of the 3rd Zone still have enough difficulty advancing toward Hanoi (it is perfectly feasible to block them for good at Hanoi or even at Hai Duong :shock: )... And I am not talking about the special detachment that has been added. :wink:

At first, I was about to propose again to add at some point one tank unit to this group… then, I realized that we could actually do much better than that! :D
So, I think it might be a good idea to add something like this:
(I'm going to make several assumptions here, number of units, when, etc. Mostly to draw the broad strokes, to explain the general idea.)

Depending on the progress of the battle (say, after the two thirds of the way through, i.e. after turn 24 - not sooner anyway!)...
So, if on turn 28 perhas, both Hanoi and Hai Duong are NOT in Japanese hands, then spawn an exceptional detachment, support (with some XP of course), say:
-> 1 artillery unit (either Type 92 100mm or Type 96 150mm) with some Japanese trucks
-> 1 Japanese Engineers ’44 using some Type 1 Ho-Ha armored transport
-> 1 medium tank unit, and not of their most modern model, but a model that isn’t yet on this battlefield… well, perhaps one Type 3 Ke-Ri?

AI setup? NOT the same than the “regular” 3rd group – it’s crucial to avoid unbalancing the whole fight, I’ll come back to it very soon!
1. First “Move to hex”, aggressively, targeting “Hai Duong”.
2. As soon as “Hai Duong” is taken, then “Move to hex” against “Hanoi”.
3. As soon as “Hanoi” is taken, then “Defend hex” selecting “Hanoi” – and that’s why they should be on a different AI setup. They may show up (or not, depending on the player’s successes!), may unlock the situation on this side (or, at least, are expected to do so, at least), but to prevent them from unbalancing all later, well, then they’ll stay around Hanoi…

An event? No need, as the player isn’t supposed to know about this, the enemy is pouring in reinforcements already anyway, so…

(As I've written, the point isn't not the difficulty of the battle as such, but rather the rate of appearance of the vehicles to be saved. So about the battle difficulty, there could still be a little something... And that would eventually bring up some units that are not in this scenario. :P

So, IF the player is still holding... units spawning at turn 28, then moving... around turn 30 they should come into action, so they would have max 6 turns to unlock the situation down there, to continue giving to the player the urge of evac, or tac retreat, the feeling of a defensive battle that can't be won on overall, even near Hanoi! :twisted: )
About bridges to be blown up:
That’s a nice little something, for sure.
When I’ve played, I’ve seen some being blown up. Then, I’ve taken a look in the triggers to see all that has been implemented.
I would just suggest one modification here:
-> In the trigger “Hai Duong bridges”, let only 3 bridges being blown up instead of these 6 (6 bridges blown up at the very same time?)… the “closest one”… how could I explain it clearly? Well, we’ve the town of Hai Duong and the nearby region, surrounded by river, is a little like an island… then, only the bridges that do cross the rivers surrounding the area containing the town of Hai Duong.
In short among these 6 bridges, leaves intact the two most northern, as well as in Hanoi even the most northern...
And finally (and I think that will be all for good :wink: ), I propose to add a 5th introduction message at the beginning of the scenario... :wink:

To gain in clarity, because there is a point - important for the overview - that is not explicitly specified in the scenario (well, we remember it well, today we know what we mean, but for someone who would discover it there...)

Do you remember this image?
bru888 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:18 am
ColonelY wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:42 pm :arrow: It really makes you want to see what French Indochina will look like! :D
It will look like this: [...]
Evacuation units will generate in the towns marked with green circles, and those vehicles will proceed to the border checkpoints marked with red circles, trying to escape into China:

Screenshot 1b.jpg

[...]
:idea: This one, possibly with a few arrows thrown in, would do nicely. :wink:

Et voilà ! :D
Last edited by ColonelY on Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

:?: When you tested it, were the Japanese ever able to take Hanoi? :| Or did they lack, precisely, a little steam, a little something?

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”