Page 1 of 1

QUESTION: Is there a way to cancel an Assault?

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:33 pm
by Regulator
Slightly confused. If I drag my unit over an enemy unit and initiate an Assault, is there a way to Cancel the Assault in case I change my mind?

Thanks

Re: QUESTION: Is there a way to cancel an Assault?

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:01 pm
by klkitchens
Not that I've found... hate it. :)

Re: QUESTION: Is there a way to cancel an Assault?

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:44 pm
by Jaedrian
I didn't see a way to cancel an assault. Looks like once you dropt the counter, you are committed. It would be a nice feature, just put in the undo option like you do for movement.

Re: QUESTION: Is there a way to cancel an Assault?

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:19 pm
by Igorputski
It's like any other game that uses a pick up and place type action. Once you take your hand off then you are commited to the action. There's no take backs in chess. But, as long as you leave your fingers on the piece no move is made. So, once you let go of that chit in the game it's just like making a boardgame move. Chess, checkers, wargame, monopoly what have you. But, that's the end and that's the way it works and that's the way it should be.

Even in wargames if you spot something that is dangerous there are no undo buttons or take backs. You made the mistake now you have to live with it.

Re: QUESTION: Is there a way to cancel an Assault?

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:32 am
by Jaedrian
Igorputski wrote:It's like any other game that uses a pick up and place type action. Once you take your hand off then you are commited to the action. There's no take backs in chess. But, as long as you leave your fingers on the piece no move is made. So, once you let go of that chit in the game it's just like making a boardgame move. Chess, checkers, wargame, monopoly what have you. But, that's the end and that's the way it works and that's the way it should be.

Even in wargames if you spot something that is dangerous there are no undo buttons or take backs. You made the mistake now you have to live with it.
That all makes sense in a board game. Sometimes there is a technical glitch that may cause you to drop the piece when you didn't want to drop the piece. There has been one person at least that has mentioned jittery mouse in game and it would be terrible to be committed to moves due to a computer hiccup. I would agree that if technology was flawless, the logic not to pick up a dropped piece would make sense. Until then, it would be nice to have a way to get out of a mistake that wasn't intentional.

Yes, I also understand that not all drops are due to a technical error, but if it is, why not have an undo option?

Re: QUESTION: Is there a way to cancel an Assault?

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:55 am
by Waltero
Igorputski wrote:It's like any other game that uses a pick up and place type action. Once you take your hand off then you are commited to the action. There's no take backs in chess. But, as long as you leave your fingers on the piece no move is made. So, once you let go of that chit in the game it's just like making a boardgame move. Chess, checkers, wargame, monopoly what have you. But, that's the end and that's the way it works and that's the way it should be.

Even in wargames if you spot something that is dangerous there are no undo buttons or take backs. You made the mistake now you have to live with it.
Not in the games that I play...Who wants to win that way?
You would rather have one simple mistake spoil the entire game?
My opponents (fellow gamers) can be brutal at times but I don't think any of them would deny a take back :roll:
Computer games are nice, specially if you don't understand the Mechanics (math, attack odds etc.) yet.
I would like to be able to hop on a unit and view the attack dice; Having the game do the math for me.

Re: QUESTION: Is there a way to cancel an Assault?

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:26 am
by IronFist00
In HoN PC all attacks can be backed out before execution by hitting the red X in the box below. As far as I know it is only the Assault that can't be backed out of.

I usually set up an attack and then hit the X to look at all possibilities. You can even look at attacks before a vehicle moves as well as after and "undo" them.

Re: QUESTION: Is there a way to cancel an Assault?

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:04 am
by simone007
IronFist wrote:In HoN PC all attacks can be backed out before execution by hitting the red X in the box below. As far as I know it is only the Assault that can't be backed out of.

I usually set up an attack and then hit the X to look at all possibilities. You can even look at attacks before a vehicle moves as well as after and "undo" them.
Exactly, it is the same for every kind of combat. You can click the red X to cancel combat

Re: QUESTION: Is there a way to cancel an Assault?

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:55 pm
by Jaedrian
simone007 wrote:
IronFist wrote:In HoN PC all attacks can be backed out before execution by hitting the red X in the box below. As far as I know it is only the Assault that can't be backed out of.

I usually set up an attack and then hit the X to look at all possibilities. You can even look at attacks before a vehicle moves as well as after and "undo" them.
Exactly, it is the same for every kind of combat. You can click the red X to cancel combat
I think that is the issue, there is not red x to cancel an assault. Once you drop the unit, you're stuck in.

Re: QUESTION: Is there a way to cancel an Assault?

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:49 pm
by klkitchens
Jaedrian wrote:
simone007 wrote:
IronFist wrote:In HoN PC all attacks can be backed out before execution by hitting the red X in the box below. As far as I know it is only the Assault that can't be backed out of.

I usually set up an attack and then hit the X to look at all possibilities. You can even look at attacks before a vehicle moves as well as after and "undo" them.
Exactly, it is the same for every kind of combat. You can click the red X to cancel combat
I think that is the issue, there is not red x to cancel an assault. Once you drop the unit, you're stuck in.
Confirmed.

Re: QUESTION: Is there a way to cancel an Assault?

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:34 pm
by Regulator
Right, I'm very much a novice and like that the computer does all the mathing for me and that I can check my odds with different attacks, as I have little clue what the best option is at times. Nearly all other actions have an option to undo or cancel; it just seems inconsistent / strange that Assault doesn't.

Maybe Slitherine can take this as a suggestion to patch in an update?

Re: QUESTION: Is there a way to cancel an Assault?

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:42 pm
by MarvinC
Before I click on the Dice I go to the upper right corner and click on the circle. It backs out of whatever you started to do.

Re: QUESTION: Is there a way to cancel an Assault?

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:07 pm
by Jaedrian
MarvinC wrote:Before I click on the Dice I go to the upper right corner and click on the circle. It backs out of whatever you started to do.
Maybe your game is different than mine? I initiated an assault, and I don't see any circles to click on to cancel the assault. I have the bar at the bottom that shows the % of success on the die to roll, but there is no red x to cancel the attack like with gun fire. There is no undo option like for movement. The combat results bar also has no option for canceling the attack.

Could you explain in more detail what circle you are clicking on to cancel an assault please?