Do you want Legion Arena II?

PC/MAC : A belnd of role playing game and RTS following the story of the mighty Roman Empire.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

spedius01
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Do you want Legion Arena II?

Post by spedius01 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:37 pm

Hi there,

I've taken on board the notion that if we want a version II, or upgrades, of Legion Arena, then we must do something to help the process along, NOW!!!

I was in my local super market yesterday and, out of curiosity, I checked the computer games section. I was looking for Legion Arena, it was not there. It should be, I thought. So, I had a chat with the friendly lady who looks after that section and told her all about Legion Arena. I suggested that they should be selling it, she did not say no.

I could phone my local paper, they have a games review article each week, and suggest they review Legion Arena.

I've already starting telling my friends about it, encouraging them to download the demo, as a first step.

I have voted on a web site about the popularity/playability of Legion Arena. Do a search on the internet for Legion Arena, looking for more sites to vote on

If you belong to a wargames club or go to the big wargames shows, and have a laptop, take it and Legion Arena along and show as many people as possible how good it is. Let them try it for themselves.

If you travel to work by train, and have a laptop, play Legion Arena.

I'm sure you have your own ideas of the best way for you to help promote Legion Arena.

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
Last edited by spedius01 on Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
~~~Jim Poulton~~~
"If you build it, they will come"
North London Wargames Group

kinghannibal
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by kinghannibal » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:34 pm

people on the RTR rome total realism website part of the modding group for rome total war don't like it as a whole

1 graphics are no good

2 numbers above the heads of men

3 not as good game play as RTW

4 need to have some big improvements to get as good as RTW I agree with some of theres points

pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:40 pm

- You can turn the numbers off with the click of a button
- The gameplay is very very different to RTW

Cheers

Pip

sacredzero

Post by sacredzero » Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:06 pm

kinghannibal wrote:people on the RTR rome total realism website part of the modding group for rome total war don't like it as a whole

1 graphics are no good

2 numbers above the heads of men

3 not as good game play as RTW

4 need to have some big improvements to get as good as RTW I agree with some of theres points
I know this was a few weeks ago, but...

1) Graphics DON'T make a game.

2) Has been answered.

3) MUCH simpler gameplay means you can hop on for a 5 minute battle or for a 2 hr campaign.

4) It isn't trying to compete with RTW

venividivici
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by venividivici » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:42 am

To answer the title, yes I do! Perhaps we could have a late Roman era set of scenarios and maybe double the number of scenarios ?? I have noticed that LA is on most of the major games retailer websites except for Play.com. I have seen it in Game in my local town. For a small outfit I think Slitherine have done their marketing well and it hit the shops at just the right time as there are no other ancient historical RTS being released for at least the next six months (now that Rise and Fall Civilizations development has stopped :( ). The only competition really is RTW and its expansion pack.

lavaxxx
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by lavaxxx » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:20 pm

Hi!

Personally, I'd go earlier rather than later... if you know what I mean. :wink:

Greece!

Ray (alias Lava)

venividivici
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by venividivici » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:42 pm

Greece would be OK, but they have already covered Greek units to some extent by including the Greek colonies in the Roman campaign. If they were doing Greece I would only be happy if we had the full range of unique Greek units eg. hoplites, peltasts, slingers, some representation of phalanx tactics etc.

sacredzero

Post by sacredzero » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:07 pm

This is the first game i have bought from Slitherine, but have they not made some games already that cover the Greek era?

spedius01

Post by spedius01 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:16 pm

venividivici wrote:Greece would be OK, but they have already covered Greek units to some extent by including the Greek colonies in the Roman campaign. If they were doing Greece I would only be happy if we had the full range of unique Greek units eg. hoplites, peltasts, slingers, some representation of phalanx tactics etc.
Ave venividivici,

Here's another "What if" for you.
What if we could persuade Slitherine to include ALL troop types from ALL of their games in a version of Legion Arena?
You would be able to recruit from all troop types! Can you imagine that? "The mind boggles!!" If you let your imagination run along the possibilities that would present. With a scenario and map editor included. We may also get some naval battles too. That could be an idea for an expansion kit?
Slightly off topic, have you ever heard of an old game called "Centurion - Defender of Rome"? It came out in 1990 from Electronic Arts. It was primitive compared with Legion Arena, but it had some interesting ideas. Gladiator contests, chariot racing, naval battles and several other novel features. I just wonder why our game is called Legion ARENA?
Food for thought, eh?

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~Jim Poulton~~~

ste

Post by ste » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:36 pm

I didn't name the game, but I would suspect it is following in the footsteps of game such as Quake III Arena that were intended to be battle only, online style play. Arena was originally designed to be an on-line only game, but due to publisher interest expanded into a boxed product. I still think the name is kinda kewl :-)

venividivici
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by venividivici » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:10 pm

sacredzero wrote:This is the first game i have bought from Slitherine, but have they not made some games already that cover the Greek era?
Indeed they have, I had forgotten about Spartan and Gates of Troy. Still, something more up to date graphics wise and perhaps covering the Peloponnesian War would be welcome as that covered many Greek nations and a huge number of troop types.

Spedius - I like the idea of a grand Legion Arena with all units thrown in from Slitherine games, that would be truly spectacular!

xaziv
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by xaziv » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:04 pm

This game is pretty sweet... it is not like rome total war in its gameplay... both are good games... i think if you liked RTW you could like this game... There was something about RTW's fighting system that I didnt like that I just couldnt pinpoint and I never liked it too much and mostly played RTW for the strategy campaign thing...
But I think this is a good game... i've never really heard of any of these developers before until this game... but I think its a good start... the graphics arent the best but it makes up for that in good gameplay....
Definitely one of those games that most people havent heard of that is pretty good.

lavaxxx
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by lavaxxx » Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:20 am

venividivici wrote: Spedius - I like the idea of a grand Legion Arena with all units thrown in from Slitherine games, that would be truly spectacular!
Dats what I meant.

Ray (alias Lava)

spedius01

Post by spedius01 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:58 pm

Ave guys,

Some very interesting thoughts and ideas, thank you.

However, we can't let our interest and enthusiasm for the game wane. We must keep banging that drum to bring the game to more people's attention. Have you explored the internet for sites to review and vote on? Have you thought of any new ideas on how to spread the word? Have you discovered any new sites that it may be useful to be linked to? Have you checked in your local shops for possible new outlets for sales of Legion Arena? Have you considered buying additional copies to give as Christmas or birthday presents? It's in our hands guys, we can make a difference!!

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~Jim Poulton~~~

kongming
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by kongming » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:22 pm

I would love to see sequels expand the storyline elements of the game with more decision forks and possibilities. If the campaigns were more limited in historical scope and followed the carriers of individual generals, think of the possibilities. The Gallic Wars at Caesar's side. Alexander, Hannibal over the Alps, or Scipio.
“There are only a few notes in the scale.
Yet you can always rearrange them.
You can never hear every song of victory”
- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Return to “Legion Arena & CoM”