Help On Alalia

PC/MAC : A belnd of role playing game and RTS following the story of the mighty Roman Empire.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

marcusthegreat
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Help On Alalia

Post by marcusthegreat » Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:41 pm

This battle is really starting to annoy me. I can kill the amount of enemy required but I can't kill the General before my casualties limit hits 0 meaning I lose. I've tried attack and defence and both don't seem to work.

Finally I'd love to see more online as it's like a Ghost town.

sum1won
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by sum1won » Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:46 pm

I think the way I beat battles like that is to concentrate most of my forces where the general is, and send some others out to tie up the rest.

And if you want multiplayer matches, the best bet is XFire.

marcusthegreat
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by marcusthegreat » Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:47 pm

Ok thanks. How to I play online games using X-Fire. sorry if it sounds noobish.

lavaxxx
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: Help On Alalia

Post by lavaxxx » Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:06 pm

marcusthegreat wrote:This battle is really starting to annoy me. I can kill the amount of enemy required but I can't kill the General before my casualties limit hits 0 meaning I lose.
Hi!

Agreed, gang up on the area where the enemy general is, then when you start, immediately take your general and make him attack the enemy general, and maybe some cavalry as well. I believe even if you own general dies, the enemy general will take sufficient damage to go down far quicker when your other units converge on him.

Ray (alias Lava)

marcusthegreat
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by marcusthegreat » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:26 am

Done the battle after about 12 tries. How do I use X-Fire so I can get to play games with you guys on Legion Arena for example.

sum1won

Post by sum1won » Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:01 pm

Step 1) Install Xfire

Step 2) Add us to your friends list.

Step 3) Log in, and when you are open for a game, send messages to people who arent playing something else.
Usual gaming hours: 11PM-4AM GMT

Redpossum
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by Redpossum » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:29 pm

To amplify upon Sum1's helpful comments above...

1) Install Xfire using the 4th button down on the LA Startup menu.

2) Get our Xfire names from the sticky thread in this forum.

kongming
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by kongming » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:41 am

Alalia is a battle that is not so hard if you can force the enemy out of their battle plan and into yours. Since they have high quality main line troops and poor quality light troops, the place to make the battle happen in on the ridgeline. If you can bring them up there (particularly if you can force their heavy troops up there and catch their light troops in the open) then you should be at a big advantage.

I divide my army into 4 columns. 3 aux charge down the ridge line in a single column, take out the berserkers, and then occupy the highlands.

My 3 legions march in a column to the left of the aux and in the open ground. They end up behind the aux as the second line (and all of these boys have two pilums (pila) by now so they act as a short-lived but damaging missile support force as well).

My 2 archers march in a column further to the west, again as missile support.

Finally my 2 cav charge to the north edge of the screen on the left of the ridge line, and positioned behind the enemy lines once their front line starts moving.

This maneuver forces the enemy to turn its battle line 90 degrees from a wide front to a narrow front (reducing their numerical advantage) to face us on the ridgeline. It also brings their heavy troops into the rough where my aux outclass them and my legions are at least as good. My cav can get behind them and attack their skirmishers, quickly reducing their missile support to zero while my archers unleash on their best units.

My boys made pretty short work of them in this way, taking very few casualties.
“There are only a few notes in the scale.
Yet you can always rearrange them.
You can never hear every song of victory”
- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Return to “Legion Arena & CoM”