Principes vs Legionaries Question, please.

PC/MAC : A belnd of role playing game and RTS following the story of the mighty Roman Empire.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

sum1won
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by sum1won » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:32 am

Primarily, romans lack the punch of the celts. The celtic veterans are definitely overpowered, easily outdoing fanatics and legionaires in battle. The legionaires need a quick fix, and all roman units could definitely do with some bonuses. Right now, celts are just way better. I think that if some of the roman units had their prices dropped by a bit, and beefed up a little bit, it would help.

One thing to look at- if you can, maybe make the romans do even better from the front, but make them hurt worse from getting flanked.

fatetriarrii
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by fatetriarrii » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:52 am

I will look into it, expect something by the end of the week. Roman units should be more defensive oriented, right? (as in higher armor/attack ratios)

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:10 am

Ok, I've checked the stats and it does appear they are too close ;)

I'll beef the Legionaries up a little & also the Praetorians.

miki

Post by miki » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:15 am

Iain,

Muchas gracias.
Saludos
Miki

fatetriarrii

Post by fatetriarrii » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:45 pm

Alright, thank you Ian. *project delayed for Ian* :wink:

Good to know you guys are there for us :P

Redpossum
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by Redpossum » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:53 pm

Not to be a wet blanket, but there is one very serious argument against a formal "mod" of Legion Arena.

It splits the community into those who play the mod, and those who play the basic game.

And this assumes there is only one mod.

I hate to be the voice of negativity amidst all this enthusiasm, but...I have some serious misgivings.

fatetriarrii

Post by fatetriarrii » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:01 pm

Unless slitherine is nice and is willing to upgrade our mod (it is probably just going to be 1 word file) to patch status. :wink:

Ps, I have a rough outlook here, I basically increased fanatic's attack to 20 normal and 10 concuss (base of 18/10) and lowered veterans to 18 normal and 5 concuss (23/5 normal), along with lowering their armour to 10 (base 14).

Seeing as slitherine is on the legionary case, I think that those will be enough changes so far, so I will let the community test it. To get this mod, follow these instructions:

1) I would suggest backing up your original "squads.txt" file in data/where ever legions arena is installed. (just copy and paste somewhere safe)

2) Open in whatever viewer you like best. Open a search bar/window/whatever and type "fanatic." Scroll down until you see "damageability" and increase the number directly next to it to 20.

3) Type in "veteran" and scroll down. Armourability goes to 10, and damage to 18.

4) Save and play

It is that easy, everyone congratulate slitherine on such clear files :P

grimsta
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by grimsta » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:05 pm

Can i just stick my head in here and say
[shamlessplug]
"For the ultimate playing experiance, wait untill GrimSta's Roman Reskin is done, for the ultimate Roman game, Guaranteed not to affect multiplayer, for all your visual wants and desires! thats GrimSta's Roman Reskin, comming to a Forum near YOU!!"
[/shamelessplug]

kongming

Post by kongming » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:11 pm

As much as the math suggests that Principes are comparable to Legionnaires, in practice I have not seen principes to be anywhere near as tough and capable as legionnaires. Properly equipped, deployed, and supported, legionnaires can consistently go anywhere, face anyone.
“There are only a few notes in the scale.
Yet you can always rearrange them.
You can never hear every song of victory”
- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

kongming

Post by kongming » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:13 pm

As much as the math suggests that Principes are comparable to Legionnaires, in practice I have not seen principes to be anywhere near as tough and capable as legionnaires. Properly equipped, deployed, and supported, legionnaires can consistently go anywhere, face anyone.
“There are only a few notes in the scale.
Yet you can always rearrange them.
You can never hear every song of victory”
- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Return to “Legion Arena & CoM”