Honour Guards and Parry?

PC/MAC : A belnd of role playing game and RTS following the story of the mighty Roman Empire.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

spedius01
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Honour Guards and Parry?

Post by spedius01 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:17 pm

Ave,

I recently came across the promotion option "Honour Guards" whilst checking out the Legate's experience points progression. I used the "Design a Multiplayer Army Offline" button, accessed from the "Army Camp" page. I've found this to be an invaluable tool, enabling me to investigate the effect that the numerous promotion and equipment choices can have on your squad's stats. This button is only active in the full version of Legion Arena, not the Demo.

I know what "Honour Guards", and the morale/health bonuses associated with them, are. What I don't know is, can all units aspire to become "Honour Guards"? Is a high XP level the only qualification needed to obtain this promotion, or, is there a distinct promotion path one must follow? If anyone has managed to have a unit or units achieve this promotion could they let me know, how did you do it?

I also discovered the promotion option "Parry". This option seems to continue after "Dodge" has reached "Master" level. "Parry" progresses through the advanced, expert and master levels and, like "Dodge", will also improve your squad's agility.

Vale

M.Spedius Corbulo
Last edited by spedius01 on Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~~~Jim Poulton~~~
"If you build it, they will come"
North London Wargames Group

sum1won
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by sum1won » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:57 pm

I think my brother got Honorgaurd on his militia. And some achilles armor.

Incidently, has anybody else gotton Sarissas, or just my Dad?

fatetriarrii
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by fatetriarrii » Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:10 pm

*ahem*

Iknow from snooping through the files. If you would rather learn through normal methods (which I admit is often much more fun), don't read this. I have put the slashes in to aide people who would rather not know.

A/c/c/o/r/d/i/n/g t/o m/y t/r/a/n/s/l/a/t/i/o/n o/f t/h/e f/i/l/e/s (I a/d/m/i/t I h/a/v/e/n/'/t e/v/e/r u/s/e/d h/o/n/o/u/r g/u/a/r/d) i/t o/n/l/y r/e/q/u/i/r/e/s l/e/v/e/l 1/0, m/a/s/t/e/r b/l/o/c/k, a/n/d m/a/s/t/e/r s/w/o/r/d/s/m/a/n. O/h, a/n/d t/h/e/y m/u/s/t b/e o/n/e (/1/) o/f t/h/e f/o/l/l/o/w/i/n/g:
  • R/o/m/a/n/s
    :arrow: A/u/x/i/l/i/a C/a/v/a/l/r/y
    :arrow: A/u/x/i/l/i/a I/n/f/a/n/t/r/y
    :arrow: H/a/s/t/a/t/i
    :arrow: L/e/g/i/o/n/a/r/i/e/s
    :arrow: P/r/a/e/t/o/r/i/a/n/s
    :arrow: L/i/g/h/t C/a/v/a/l/r/y
    :arrow: N/o/b/l/e/s
    :arrow: E/l/e/p/h/a/n/t/s
    :arrow: L/e/g/a/t/e
    :arrow: P/r/i/n/c/ip/e/s (n/o/t T/r/i/a/r/i/i, t/h/o/u/g/h)

C/e/l/t/s
    :arrow: N/o/b/l/e/s
    :arrow: C/e/l/t/i/c N/o/b/l/e/s
    :arrow: G/a/l/l/i/c G/e/n/e/r/a/l
    :arrow: V/e/t/e/r/a/n/s
PS,

I have NOT gotten Sarissas

lcjr
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by lcjr » Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:45 pm

Think you need a new keyboard, your old one has a key sticking.

Considering you can play with the multiplayer army design like Spedius said this stuff is hardly spoilers. Besides if you want to hide a real spoiler a better way is to match the text color to the background so you can only view it when the text is highlighted.

I've had it come up for Auxilia and Principes but not until they were level 30+. I didn't do much defensive skills besides Missile Protection until I had maxed their offense. I have yet to see Sarissa's but IIRC they are a type of pike so I would assume only available for spear using troops???

Does Parry carry the same type of damage penalty?

spedius01

Post by spedius01 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:23 pm

Ave guys,

Thank you for your collective input.

I would have responded quicker but suffered from a power cut lasting over four hours.

I checked, via the method described in the opening post of this topic, "Honour Guards" becomes available when promoting a squad from level 13 to 14. I used the suggested promotion options Block and Swordsman. When neither was available I chose Endurance.

Fatetriarrii, which file did you find the information in, was it "Squads.txt"?

Lcjr, in answer to your question, Parry does carry the same type of damage penalty, but not at Master level.

Sum1wun, in answer to your question and assuming "Squads.txt" to be correct, "Sarissas" can only be awarded to Levy Spearmen and Principes. It is described in "Localisation.txt" thus "The Sarissa is a very long spear that does immense damage but is difficult to use". I couldn't find out what the bonuses were. Does anyone else know?

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~Jim Poulton~~~

fatetriarrii

Post by fatetriarrii » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:39 pm

Ok, to find out what squad get what abilities go into Squads.txt (you got that right). After you get through "abilities," you should come across "bonuses." these include upgrades AND promotions. Their is a stop for experience, and "kudos," but keep going, it will resume. It will have the level required next to the skill. Note two things, one is that Principes are called "Princepes" and other units have weird names (Light Cavalry are called "westernLC"). Same with the abilities, as Endurance is called "Hardiness."

To find out what each skill/upgrade does, and what its requisites are (other than level) just go into "bonusdef.txt". That is very straight forward, it lists the skill, the various stats with numbers showing the bonuses (with 0 being nothing) and has the requisites in there too. :wink:

Ps, thank Slitherine for such wonderfully accesible and straightfoward files. :D

sum1won

Post by sum1won » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:41 pm

Sarissas are +20 damage, -5 to hit, +20 stand firm. And Triarii get them, I beleive
Usual gaming hours: 11PM-4AM GMT

spedius01

Post by spedius01 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:39 am

Ave fatetriarrii

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction, those txt files are chock full of very interesting and useful data.

Sum1wun you're perfectly correct, it is the triarii and not the principes who can get awarded the sarissa.

Thank you both.

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~Jim Poulton~~~

Redpossum
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by Redpossum » Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:51 am

The Sarissa was the weapon of the macedonian phalanx, and varied from 14 to 21 feet in length, depending on terrain.

Call it 4.5 to 7 metres, for you euros ;)

And I was not all that impressed with Honor Guards. By the time I get it, I usually don't need the morale bonuses. Presumably, when the bar is full, further increases are redundant...?

fatetriarrii

morale limit

Post by fatetriarrii » Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:18 am

Hopefully not, for then it would cap out around 3 - 4 hundred, which is extremely low. That could make Honour guard useless, as I believe the amount of morale gained out of nesecity is at least 100 on top of the basic 150 or so would put it close to the limit.

Return to “Legion Arena & CoM”