Beta Patch V1.0101 Now Available

PC/MAC : A belnd of role playing game and RTS following the story of the mighty Roman Empire.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Beta Patch V1.0101 Now Available

Post by IainMcNeil » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:45 am

Hi guys,

we've completed the patch and it has passed all our checks, but before we do a full release we'd like to hear your feedback on it. It is multi lingual (English, French, German, Italian & Spanish).

http://www.slitherine.com/files/patches ... 1.0101.exe

It should auto detect your installation and update it in the correct language. If you have any problems with the installer or any of the new features let us know. You will only be able to play multiplayer against other players with the patch.

Changes & Fixes in the patch
* A new larger multiplayer army size has been added. You can now recruit armies up to 10,000 denari with up to 30,000 xp.
* The balancing of numerous units has been tweaked to improve multiplayer and make Romans vs Gauls a fair fight.
* A speed controller has been added to the options menu on a slider bar. Only works in single player. Can go from 25% normal speed up to 200%. This should cater for everyone!
* A screenshot dump key has been added. Press F8 during battle to dump a tga file of the current view to a Scre_#DATE_#TIME dir in the games directory. The dir will be data & time stamped for easy location of your screenshots.
* Army reports have been added. You can dump out an army report by pressing F1. An army report includes information about the current army including a list of squads, their skills & their stats. This makes it easier for players to compare armies and to post information on their armies to the web on their own web pages.
* Generals now gain xp for commanding the army & get a % of the army xp. This means he no longer has to fight to level up.
* A bug that caused squads not to disengage a destroyed squad has been fixed.
* Damage of over 10 is shows as a 2 digit number. E.g. 25 instead of 10, 10, 5.
* A bug where the Roman campaign became locked if you completed the Celtic campaign has been fixed.
* A bug where the timers for timed missions started counting down during the fly by before battle has been fixed.
* In multiplayer random maps are selected by the host PC before they enter deployment. This means if the client enters deployment first they will not see the default map until the host turns up and then switch to the real map, they will always see the real map. It was not a bug, but led to accusations of cheating so we wanted to resolve it.
* At higher levels XP was growing too fast so this has been reduced.
* There is extra support for MOD files. Add a MOD directory to your game directory. Inside this you can place your mods. Each mod must have its own directory & the dir name is how it will be labelled when you come to select it, so use a name you'll recognise & if you intend to pass it on to others, a name that??™s descriptive. When you run the game it checks for a mod dir. If one is found it open up the mod menu & allows you to select from all mods installed on that machine. Inside each mod directory any files you wish to use must replicate the directory structure of the full game. E.g. if you wanted to create a mod where all Legionaries had 2 javelins instead of one, you'd need to make a copy of the data\squads.txt file. You'd need to put your modified copy at "mods\my mod\data\squads.txt". This means you should never modify any files in the game dir, always make a copy & edit them in the mod dir. Please remember that if you use a mod, your opponent in multiplayer must use the same mod or you will go out of synch and be unable to play. It's not possible to cheat by modifying your files when your opponent has not, but it is possible to break multiplayer!

fatetriarrii
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by fatetriarrii » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:30 pm

Wow :shock: :shock: :shock:

That is a PATCH (with a capital "P"). You guys are amazing! I would say more, but I need to try this thing right NOW! :D

kyle
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Nice Job

Post by kyle » Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:29 am

its about time, and yet you managed to amaze me duley noted

grimsta
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by grimsta » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:03 pm

Iain, this is great news - especially on the mod front. Kyle - try to sound a little less condescending............

I really need to update my mod now :wink:
But I have just the one question.

Will mods of some of the *.txt files still work in the new patch or will we have to re-write them? I know skins arnt a problem as they are universal to versions, but from previous experiance actual modifying of the data does normally not work with patches.

Cheers in advance :wink:
One mans Rabbit is another mans Laplander - Boris Johnson

kyle

Sorry about that

Post by kyle » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:23 am

I didn't mean to sound like a jerk there Grimsta

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:04 am

I assume everything is working fine from the lack of complaints? :)

If we can get a bit of feedback we'll make the patch official!

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:06 pm

Mods will need to be redone, but we'll provide some files to help you before you do. Just hang on till the patch is officially released.

kyle

hey

Post by kyle » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:52 pm

Ian, do you know how to make campaigns longer?

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:34 am

I don't understand the question because of course we know how to make them longer? You just add more missions :)

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:38 pm

Ok the patch is approved & ready for release so its no longer Beta :)

kyle

Missions

Post by kyle » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:57 pm

is there any way to add more missions in the demo version?

pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:25 am

Sorry, no. We don't want to give away too much, otherwise nobody will buy the game! ;)

Cheers

Pip

kyle

srry

Post by kyle » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:53 am

I forgot about that, till u brought it up

tora_tora_tora
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by tora_tora_tora » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:57 am

where should I make MOD directory? I can't find game directory.

>LegionArena>data>MOD

or

>LegionArena>save Games>MOD

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:00 am

It needs to go in LegionArena\MOD

d107
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by d107 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:50 pm

I just downloaded the patch and am unable to install it. I get a message that it can't find an installation of Legion Arena. I tried installing from the game directory itself as well as the directory I downloaded it to. I purchased a download version from Strategy First in November.

Thanks for your assistance.

David

tora_tora_tora

Post by tora_tora_tora » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:20 am

iainmcneil wrote:It needs to go in LegionArena\MOD
thank you, Iain. Now I can mod

hmmm, armored elephants, forest fanatics, amazoness and much more...
what should I do first?

pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:26 am

d107 wrote:I just downloaded the patch and am unable to install it. I get a message that it can't find an installation of Legion Arena. I tried installing from the game directory itself as well as the directory I downloaded it to. I purchased a download version from Strategy First in November.

Thanks for your assistance.

David
My guess would be that there is a specific version required to patch the downloadable SF version, are you definitely using that version of the patch download?

Cheers

Pip

d107

Post by d107 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:38 am

Thanks so much for the quick reply. There was only one version of the patch on the SF website. I think I tried one on your site as well. Neither works.

Thanks.

David

pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:52 am

Iain will be able to give you a much more definitive answer come the morning (GMT). Is there any way that some registry settings might have been lost, meaning that the installer cannot find the installed version?

Cheers

Pip

Return to “Legion Arena & CoM”