Regarding colony ships...

Polaris Sector is a sci-fi 4X game that offers exciting exploration, detailed resource management, unique research mechanics and intense tactical combat.
NightReaper
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Regarding colony ships...

Post by NightReaper »

...does anyone know how the computer decides which ship is used in a 'Planned Colonization' when there are more than one design in that particular category. As an example, I designed both a long range and a short range colonizer in my game so that I could build colony ships faster(cheaper in resource) during initial colonization phase, and a longer range version for stretching my range and attempting to cherry pick from another civilization when its location becomes known. However, the computer insists on assigning the long range version whenever I do an automated 'Planned Colonization'. Is there some way to specify or trick the computer into using the short range version as its first choice so I don't have to resort to micromanagement all the time? Just asking, as it would sure cut down on a lot of micro-management for me. Thanks... :(
TheFlemishDuck
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Re: Regarding colony ships...

Post by TheFlemishDuck »

The trick is probably to edit the original colonizer to be a short range one and design a long range one if you'd like the Ai to build the short range version by default, but then that might give problems too afcourse. I suspect the Ai just picks the default model regardless of distance.
NightReaper
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by NightReaper »

...that's what I thought too, but the computer seems to pick, at least in my case, the last design made which seems like the logical thing to do, pick the latest model, that is. My dilemma is that the early going is tough enough when it comes to steadily increasing build times and dwindling resources. It may be nit-picking but the difference between putting out a colonizer in 6 years and one in over 7 can be crucial at times. Thanks for the reply...maybe something can be patched in...don't know? :D
Protagoras01

Post by Protagoras01 »

What I have been doing as a work around is to design a long range colony ship but then remove a generator in an obvious place that makes the design unbuildable due to lack of power. Then the AI always uses the cheaper short range design,and when I have a long colonization attempt I will edit the LR design to add in the appropriate generator, build one manually, handle the colonization manually. THEN hope the AI hasn't built a bevy of them while I did this. If there are not any built I can then disable the design again. If the AI does build some as long as they are in the process of building I have been known to scrap the builds. BUT a better decision tree on which colonizer to build would be nice. I would then design several of them with the expectation the AI would pick the cheapest one that fits the mission. This logic would also I believe greatly help the opposition AI so it likely worth the time... but hey its not me pounding out the code so :)

Return to “Polaris Sector”