Why excellent Polaris lost dull Stellaris

Polaris Sector is a sci-fi 4X game that offers exciting exploration, detailed resource management, unique research mechanics and intense tactical combat.
bjgrt
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Re: Why excellent Polaris lost dull Stellaris

Post by bjgrt » Wed May 25, 2016 7:17 pm

RandomAttack wrote:Is that the "instant ground combat" in settings? Or in a file somewhere? Thanks!
Edit: Because that setting crashes every save game. Is it only good for new games?
Interesting. Probably it needs a save without an ongoing invasion.

BTW, I don't bomb on the hardest. If don't like the estimation - add more troops (if you are already winning doubling the number of troops changes the result from years to month). Build better transports (6K marines per Sharatar transport isn't hard). Don't use only marines - they are cheap, but weak if act alone. Get several planets with each peace treaty (sometimes they even have ready to board troops).
The expansion is made hard and slow purposely. The "original" Remember Tomorrow had an "easy" expansion model (defeat the defending fleet, and the planet is pretty much yours) - that made middle and late game somewhat dull.

RandomAttack
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by RandomAttack » Wed May 25, 2016 8:21 pm

The "original" Remember Tomorrow had an "easy" expansion model
THAT is exactly what I would like to see. MUCH less boring than micro'ing endless transport fleets when I have to take 50 more systems to win, and I have the fleets/tech to do it. At that point I usually just quit from the sheer monotony.
And now I'll quit hijacking the thread! :D :lol: :oops:

Rosseau
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Rosseau » Thu May 26, 2016 3:10 am

These are all good points. "You have to pay attention" is a charitable way of saying, where was that tanker going anyway? :wink:

I can handle the micro, and really enjoy the game up to a certain point. Not sure what could be done. I will try the mods of course after the next patch.

Ufnv
SoftWarWare
SoftWarWare

Post by Ufnv » Thu May 26, 2016 9:37 am

The setting is either in the configurator, "Hidden settings", or the Remember.cfg file (the one found in /My games/Polaris Sector/), named "InstantGroundCombat" - switch to true.

efthimios
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by efthimios » Fri May 27, 2016 10:51 pm

I don't have Stellaris and I have barely played Polaris. I am waiting for the next patch for Polaris to try it. I bought Polaris as soon as I found it cause I have always been a supporter of Slitherine developing a 4X in space game, even though this game was not developed in house AFAIK.
Stellaris I am avoiding to get it for two reasons.
1. Even before I read they use the same EU engine underneath, I could see from videos how that was the case. Mostly from the combat. I guess it can work, but basically the animations and the special effects are nothing but smoke and mirrors. The only thing that matters is the small window which brings memories from previous EU games.
2. I know that if they continue to support Stellaris it is going to have 2-3 DLCs/expansion packs. I don't want to keep buying the same game every few months till after a couple of years or more they have the final release ready. I am tired of DLCs. SICK of them. Same reason whenever the next Civilization game comes out this year, I am not touching it till at least 2 "DLCs" are out.

One thing I noticed on youtube is how they got several youtubers to play the game, some of them with greater success than others. I have to say I don't particularly care for it when it happens with other games too. I mean when you watch some channels which have almost never before showed any interest in the genre of a game and suddenly all have the same game at about the same time, it just feels fishy, even if there is nothing bad behind it.
I do get it, it can work. I mean even though I have a tiny channel, I was approaching a few times from some companies and did show off their games, but I am always a fan of the genre to begin with. OK, apart from one game, but I made it clear to both the developer and my viewers that I suck at the genre in question (puzzle).

Where was I?

I bought Polaris even though I knew it was not turn based. I am not a fan of real time grand strategy games. I have played them before and liked them (for example Star Wars Rebellion/Supremacy, Supremacy (1990,known also as Overlord), and a few others. But I will never ever accept that real time is the appropriate way of handling a 4X game. If you have to keep pausing/changing the time rate, it is clearly a sign the game should have been turn based. Which is (partly) why one of my all time favorite games of the genre is Star Trek Birth of the Federation, and one of the more recent games of the genre which I enjoyed the most was/is Horizon.

ANYWAY, just thought to say few things about this topic.
Plato was right.
Slitherine for 4X in space!

Firefox440
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by Firefox440 » Fri May 27, 2016 11:15 pm

DLC are a good idea if they add campaigns, new units and more. If they add, just a few new units, they are bad.
I bought Polaris even though I knew it was not turn based. I am not a fan of real time grand strategy games. I have played them before and liked them (for example Star Wars Rebellion/Supremacy, Supremacy (1990,known also as Overlord), and a few others. But I will never ever accept that real time is the appropriate way of handling a 4X game. If you have to keep pausing/changing the time rate, it is clearly a sign the game should have been turn based. Which is (partly) why one of my all time favorite games of the genre is Star Trek Birth of the Federation, and one of the more recent games of the genre which I enjoyed the most was/is Horizon.
If Polaris had been a turn based game, never I had played it. I like turn games some times but I like more a game with time real paused. Rebellion was not a turn based game and I love it but..........even if it could be modded, when I bought it, I did not see any mod, perhaps I did not search too much. Now it can be played but it is old. Fortunately, we have Polaris and because it is very similar to the Rebellion game, I made my SW mod. Soon, all you will see it, very probably when the last patch not be a beta. At the end, I have made my mod for it and people will need this patch.

About Stellaris. I like a opinion from other people where they tell how the tactical combat was bad because there is not strategy, you can not flank, it is not more than enemy vs enemy combat, some very similar to the concept from Galactic Civilizations III (yes it is turn based but I liked it before I discovered Polaris).

Return to “Polaris Sector”