Need Help On This Game!

DS: Upcoming Roman turn based strategy game for the Nintendo handheld!

Moderator: Slitherine Core

philr1
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Need Help On This Game!

Post by philr1 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:25 am

Hi there,

I'm a big fan of Military History Commander At War on the DS so when I heard Slitherine was doing another strategy game on DS I just had to get it! I'm pleasantly surprised at the sheer depth of this game and thats what's been holding me back. This game feels unique so I'd like to ask for help please!

1) At the start of the campaign, what should I be concentrating on? Creating buildings for the cities or armies?
2) Can anyone explain the benefits for each of the choices to go into battle, i.e. hold then advance, vice-versa or charge etc?
3) Is it better to have a varied army or to have all the same squads? All Legions or a variety?
4) According to the game manual, the banners are supposed to be bigger if the army is superior but haven't really noticed anything yet. What should I be looking for?
5) When is a good time to use diplomacy? Should I anger my neighbours or keep at peace? I thought it would be best to be allied at the start of a campaign so I could build better cities, is this a good strategy?

All in all I really like this game and know it won't take me long to love it, I just need a little help from the people in here to get me to start winning some battles and taking over some cities!

Thanks again and well done to Slitherine for supporting the DS! Any chance of that Napoleon game coming to DS any time soon (hint hint) :D :wink:

scarfacetarraff
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Re: Need Help On This Game!

Post by scarfacetarraff » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:13 pm

philr1 wrote:1) At the start of the campaign, what should I be concentrating on? Creating buildings for the cities or armies?
Initially, I look to build facilities for stone, wood, and food. Especially food, because whenever you send an army into the field your food expense increases dramatically. Of course, you need these three items to train units, so that would indicate their initial importance. Upgrade them after you begin to have acceptable garrison forces.
philr1 wrote:2) Can anyone explain the benefits for each of the choices to go into battle, i.e. hold then advance, vice-versa or charge etc?
Terrain. If I see a rugged terrain ahead of me, and my army is made up of heavy infantry, I order a long hold in hopes the enemy comes to me in open ground. Likewise, if I'm in rugged terrain, I'll place orders for a normal or fast advance to catch the enemy in open ground. I like to use the flanking order for cavalry, especially to catch the enemy in open ground. Usually, I station my cavalry further back, because they are much faster, in order to time their engagement point.
philr1 wrote:3) Is it better to have a varied army or to have all the same squads? All Legions or a variety?
Terrain, again, plays an important role. I generally use, when possible, armies that are either dominated by light infantry or heavy infantry supported by a couple divisions of archers.
philr1 wrote:4) According to the game manual, the banners are supposed to be bigger if the army is superior but haven't really noticed anything yet. What should I be looking for?
Good question. You may have to play a while before you notice the banners, because until factions are able to build facilities that allow for larger armies you may not see a difference.
philr1 wrote:5) When is a good time to use diplomacy? Should I anger my neighbours or keep at peace? I thought it would be best to be allied at the start of a campaign so I could build better cities, is this a good strategy?
Use diplomacy when you're losing. ;) They will all be in rotating wars with you eventually. I too will take an ally to protect to some degree a border, while concentrating elsewhere. However, an enemy can come from anywhere. Keep in mind, in general the AI should deal with the same obstacles you do = it's expensive to have armies in the field.
"Hasta la victoria siempre!"
Legion (Mac/iPad), Spartan (Mac), GoT (Mac), Legion Arena (Mac), CEaW (Mac/DS), CNaW (Mac), HGE: Rome (DS), Egypt: EaE (iPad), FoG (Mac), Battle Academy (Mac/iPad), Unity of Command (Mac), CTGW (iPad)

philr1

Post by philr1 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:21 am

Hey thanks Triari for your help.

I was going for the facilities for wood, food, ore etc but have found that some cities won't allow good production. What I have been doing is if a city already has food I will go for a large farm.

Yes that makes perfect sense what you said about terrain. I was just going for the default options and wasn't getting very far! I'll try out what you said and it should produce better results.

So the banners change depending on what buildings they have? So they don't change size if their armies are bigger? Is there any way to tell how many squads they have in their army? I have heard that you can build watchtowers but they only work if an enemy is in your territory, have I got that right?

So use diplomacy when you're losing then? Looks like I will be using this alot in my campaigns :lol:

Thanks again Triari it has been a big help to a novice like me. Can't wait until I finish work to play again! Think I will have to bring my DS to work with me tomorrow :wink:

scarfacetarraff

Post by scarfacetarraff » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:36 am

philr1 wrote:Hey thanks Triari for your help.
You're welcome.
philr1 wrote: I was going for the facilities for wood, food, ore etc but have found that some cities won't allow good production. What I have been doing is if a city already has food I will go for a large farm.
As you've noticed, some cities only produce certain resources. So, improving those facilities are critical. Also, building the market building type allows for a better percentage of resources produced - theoretically through trade.
philr1 wrote: So the banners change depending on what buildings they have? So they don't change size if their armies are bigger? Is there any way to tell how many squads they have in their army? I have heard that you can build watchtowers but they only work if an enemy is in your territory, have I got that right?
No, the buildings do not affect banner size. Certain buildings allow the player to train larger divisions. I believe watchtowers allow you to see more of an enemies army and positions on the battlefield - like intel.
"Hasta la victoria siempre!"
Legion (Mac/iPad), Spartan (Mac), GoT (Mac), Legion Arena (Mac), CEaW (Mac/DS), CNaW (Mac), HGE: Rome (DS), Egypt: EaE (iPad), FoG (Mac), Battle Academy (Mac/iPad), Unity of Command (Mac), CTGW (iPad)

Return to “HISTORY™ Great Empires: Rome”