Ships in Senkoku Jidai

edward77
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Ships in Senkoku Jidai

Post by edward77 »

I have a scenario in mind which would require some ships. Is it feasible to take P&S ships and put them in a custom squad file? If so what would be the full procedure (graphics,sound etc)?
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Re: Ships in Senkoku Jidai

Post by Paul59 »

edward77 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:13 pm I have a scenario in mind which would require some ships. Is it feasible to take P&S ships and put them in a custom squad file? If so what would be the full procedure (graphics,sound etc)?
Hi Edward,

It's quite straightforward really:

Remember, only modify your Sengoku Jidai mod/scenario folder, not the main game installation.

Copy the two Ship units from the Pike and Shot Squads.csv and paste into your modded SJ Squads.csv. They are the units numbered 83 and 84, and you will have to copy and paste the two whole lines of data.

In your SJ Squads.csv you will have to renumber the units, as 83 and 84 are already in use. Maybe use 983 and 984?

In a text file in your Sengoku Jidai mod/scenario folder add the unit name and unit info for your two ship units. Something like this will do:

IDS_UNITNAME983, "Ship",
IDS_UNITINFO983, "Ship",
IDS_UNITNAME984, "Ship",
IDS_UNITINFO984, "Ship",

Just make sure the unit numbers match the ones you used in the Squads.csv.

It is easiest to use an already created Text file, as they have to be in the correct format, which won't be the case if you use notepad to create the file from scratch.

Then copy the Galleon.txt and GALLEON_0.S4F from the Pike and Shot Data/Battle/Units folder and copy into your SJ Mod Data/Battle/Units folder.

Lastly copy Galleon@.dds from the Pike and Shot Data/Battle/UnitTextures folder and copy into your SJ Mod Data/Battle/UnitTextures folder.

I'm not sure about the sounds, but I would guess they are already in SJ. That sort of thing normally gets left in when new games are created. There is still a bit of Battle Academy stuff lying about in Pike and Shot and SJ!

Note that the Pike and Shot ships do not move. If you want them to move, it might be as simple as giving them some AP in the Squads.csv, currently they have zero AP. Probably there are no movement sounds in the game, but you might be able to add some suitable ones from somewhere else.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
edward77

Post by edward77 »

Thanks Paul. I'll have a go!
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

The P&S ships are set up to only fire broadsides from one side of the ship. (Making them shoot from either side was more technically difficult, and not necessary for the scenarios they appeared in).
Richard Bodley Scott

Pixel
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Pixel »

@edward77

VOC ships? Junks?

Is this the type of thing you have in mind :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1CcC2MIg2A
Koxinga (Fall of Ming Empire & Dutch VOC in Taiwan)

If there ever is a sequel to or additional expansions for P&S and Sengoku it would be interesting (not sure how feasible though) to have both East Asian and European Early Modern armies in one game with possible expansions into Southeast Asia. Although, I think the crazy forum fiends are clamoring for more FoGII stuff and a dedicated 18th-19th century game slightly more then a P&S sequel.
Image Image
edward77

Post by edward77 »

Had a go at the ships. Followed your instructions but cannot find SJ Mod Data/Battle/UnitTextures folder. I must have it somewhere as I implemented 2P&S style and 18 green mods but it does not show up in SJIDAI
edward77

Post by edward77 »

Ah it`s just the data file in the scenario! Eureka! it works. Thank you Paul.
edward77

Post by edward77 »

For my next scenario got ships into SJ and firing but cannot get them to move even though they already have 20 AP's and 900 Speed. Designated Ships as transport and vehicle and all other units as "can be carried" but cannot move an adjacent unit onto a ship.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

The code probably isn’t in place to allow it, because we had no use for it in the original game. You would have to write the code!
Richard Bodley Scott

Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

Yes, I think Richard is right. The problem is probably with the water tiles, which are impassable. I guess you would have to script an exception to the normal movement rules, to allow ships to move in water tiles, while they remain impassable to land units.

I am sorry, but I have no idea how to do that.

cheers

Paul
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
Cronos09
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Cronos09 »

Similar to Lepanto mod if the unit type is 'Ship' it can only moves on the Deep Water tiles. If the unit type 'Boat' it can move both on the Deep Water tiles and on the Water tiles. So these unit types (Ship and Boat) were made by P&S developers fully usable. Modders just have to use it correctly.

Return to “Scenario Design”