Creating a new scenario

edward77
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Creating a new scenario

Post by edward77 »

The structure of SJ is a bit more complicated than P&S as there is no Text 1 file already set up for linking unit names with the squads file. The squads file is huge and there are no alternate textures immediately available in the editor. I`m completely at sea in trying to efficiently create a set of units of any one clan other than a hit or miss approach when selecting units. This very laborious and even If i do this there is then no way I can identify the required number in the squads file to insert in the text 1 file. I'm sure there must be a better more efficient method.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Re: Creating a new scenario

Post by Paul59 »

Hi ed,

I'm not exactly sure what your problems are, but these are a couple of ideas to help:

1) Copy a Text.txt file from another scenario to use in your scenario folder. Just delete everything that is already in it.

2) Open your scenario in the editor, and place a unit on the map. Save the scenario file, and open the scenario .BAM file Notepad++. Search in Notepad++ for unitco, that will take you to the start of the section in the .BAM file that records the units that you have used. That will show you the exact unitname that you have used, you can then search for that name in the Squads.csv to find the unit number. You can have all three programs open at the same time and switch between them using ALT+TAB.

If you have selected the wrong unit, delete it from the scenario, and try another unit. You just need to save the scenario before you can check the .BAM file to get the name.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
edward77

Post by edward77 »

Paul, yet again many thanks for your help. Now that I have notepad++ I can do as you suggest. After some thought I finally decided to set up a custom squads file of all units in sets 3 and 5. This has worked fine, as there are only two units of the specific type and size, one for each side, therby reducing the squad file from 896 items to 220 and reducing the time tracing them within the squads file. Means I have to settle for only two clans. I could perhaps increase this if I knew how to get the alternative textures working.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

edward77 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:24 am Paul, yet again many thanks for your help. Now that I have notepad++ I can do as you suggest. After some thought I finally decided to set up a custom squads file of all units in sets 3 and 5. This has worked fine, as there are only two units of the specific type and size, one for each side, therby reducing the squad file from 896 items to 220 and reducing the time tracing them within the squads file. Means I have to settle for only two clans. I could perhaps increase this if I knew how to get the alternative textures working.
Hi ed,

I am away on holiday at the moment and therefore cannot check my version of the game, so I am not sure why you cannot access all the alternative textures.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
Cronos09
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Cronos09 »

Text 7 of SG is similar to text 1 in P&S. It nearly contains all the units from the Squads file. Imho, there are no alternative textures here for the Japanese units (with the exception of 2 folders - SJ_UNIFIERS and SJ_OTHERS). Perhaps due to the fact that several different unit names correspond to the same texture in the Squads file.

Return to “Scenario Design”