Failed interpenetration

This forum is for any questions about the rules. Post here is you need feedback from the design team.

Moderators: terrys, hammy, philqw78, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

TERRYFROMSPOKANE
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Failed interpenetration

Post by TERRYFROMSPOKANE »

We have a BG of light horse in open ground who are charged by battle troops. They must evade. There is a BG of cavalry behind them which they can not avoid by shifting so must burst through them. There is another BG of cavalry behind the first BG. There is not enough room between the cavalry BG's for the light horse to occupy and the light horses's evade move does not reach the second BG of cavalry.

The way i read the text on page 46, the light horse can not burst through the second cavalry BG because they do not reach them and there is no room for them behind the first BG burst through. It seem to me since it can not complete its move it moves as far as possible and stops. This would put it in front of the first cavalry BG with its backs to the chargers and vulnerable to be charged in the rear if the chargers have enough move to reach it. Since it stops in front of the first BG of cavalry I would think this would be unaffected but believe i have read on this site that it drops one cohesion level. Is all that correct?

thanks, Terry G.
grahambriggs
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Re: Failed interpenetration

Post by grahambriggs »

Correct. The first BG of Cavalry drops a cohesion level. The relevant rules reference for this is the last bullet on page 63 "must burst through...". So the LH must burst through the cavalry, who therefor drop a level. Then the words of the first bullet of the right hand side of page 65 are relevant: "...move as far as they can..."

In terms of what might happen in reality, the evading troops rush through the cavalry only to find there's no room beyong, so a traffic jam slows them down as the chargers plow into their rear.

Return to “Rules Questions”