Shooting???

This forum is for any questions about the rules. Post here is you need feedback from the design team.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

DaiSho
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by DaiSho » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:14 pm

marioslaz wrote:I was ever wandering about the reason elves, like Legolas in LoTR, whom ever lived in forests have a such skill in archery. How can they train in distant shooting with all that trees which hinder the sight? :wink:
Reminds me of a story I heard about a guy who was caddying for a professional golfer. The golfer snagged a shot into a heavily canopied rough. When he got to the ball he said 'Damn it', looking up at the sky. There was a hole in the canopy about the size of an A4 sheet of paper. The caddy said 'what's wrong?'. The pro said "I need to use a 6 iron to get the elevation to go through that hole, but I need a 5 iron to reach the green" - :shock:

Perhaps these wood elves are so skilled at archery that they can shoot miles and miles through that one little hole in the canopy :)

Ian
Viking (15mm)
Syracusan (15mm)
Palmyran (10mm - 15mm basing)
Horse Nomad (15mm)

marioslaz
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by marioslaz » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:41 am

DaiSho wrote:
marioslaz wrote:I was ever wandering about the reason elves, like Legolas in LoTR, whom ever lived in forests have a such skill in archery. How can they train in distant shooting with all that trees which hinder the sight? :wink:
Reminds me of a story I heard about a guy who was caddying for a professional golfer. The golfer snagged a shot into a heavily canopied rough. When he got to the ball he said 'Damn it', looking up at the sky. There was a hole in the canopy about the size of an A4 sheet of paper. The caddy said 'what's wrong?'. The pro said "I need to use a 6 iron to get the elevation to go through that hole, but I need a 5 iron to reach the green" - :shock:

Perhaps these wood elves are so skilled at archery that they can shoot miles and miles through that one little hole in the canopy :)

Ian
Yes, but as for pro golfer they would need a hole in straight line to see the target, but to hit target at great distance they would need a parabolic one. A problem without solution :lol:
Mario Vitale

babyshark
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by babyshark » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:59 pm

Tiger Wood Elf: shoots +4 golf balls, can shoot over the heads of intervening friendly troops, takes no minuses for shooting in or into terrain.

Beats the stuffing out of mere Jannissary bowmen. :D

Marc

CrazyHarborc
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by CrazyHarborc » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:37 am

It did not take too long to get used to the FoG ranges for shooting. Yes, I was used to the longer ranges of WAB and WHFB for moving and shooting.

Over all, I prefer FoG's distances/ranges for moving and shooting. It's a good system.

I would like a little more fluff in the suppliments. But then there are less problems for me confusing fluff with official rules/special deals for armies in the suppliments. Skip the more fluff....give me more starter lists. Heck about starter lists for all the armies in each suppliment. :D

DaiSho

Post by DaiSho » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:49 am

marioslaz wrote:Yes, but as for pro golfer they would need a hole in straight line to see the target, but to hit target at great distance they would need a parabolic one. A problem without solution :lol:
No, the problem was that the parabolic arc of the iron needed to get a high enough trajectory would not give him enough distance, but you're exactly right, a problem without a solution. However, the story is more a case of 'what I would do to be able to put a golf ball through a hole the size of an A4 sheet of paper. I'd be happy to be able to put a golf ball through a hole the size of Russia.

Ian
Viking (15mm)
Syracusan (15mm)
Palmyran (10mm - 15mm basing)
Horse Nomad (15mm)

shall
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by shall » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:00 am

Whereas the amateur golfer doesn't need to see the target as he tends to curve the ball huge distances round corners .... alas not altogether deliberately .... and indeed JD can bend a golf ball around a circular path!!

Thus the analogy concluding for me that Sup shooters must see the target, but poor ones can shoot at things out of sight ... I like it :-)

Mind you I guess they wouldn't hit much for other reasons even with the RAW! :lol:

Si
Last edited by shall on Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simon Hall
"May your dice roll 6s (unless ye be poor)"

marioslaz
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by marioslaz » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:27 am

Can we turn to sports comparison different from golf? I don't know even if in a golf game they use ball round or square :lol:
Mario Vitale

Return to “Rules Questions”