Charge oops who put the mountain there

This forum is for any questions about the rules. Post here is you need feedback from the design team.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

BlackPrince
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Charge oops who put the mountain there

Post by BlackPrince » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:00 pm

In last nights game we had a situation where my opponent which charging his battle line into my shield wall, this is did on a BG by BG basis.
When my opponent when to move his first BG it clipped a steep hill by a 1/4 of inch severely disordering the BG so questions is the BG allowed a sideways shift of up to half a base avoid the steep hill?

If so is the sideways shift allow if the shift would temporarily push his spearmen battle BG into this Elephant BG that is in side to side base contact with the spearmen?

As it was a friendly game we allowed his spearmen BG to shift 1/4 inch sideways then his Elephant BG could contract a file to avoid the end of the spearmen when they charged. We are not sure if it was legal but it seemed a reasonable outcome. The really annoying thing was my opponent rolled 5 hits on 6 dice and I rolled 6 "3s" on 6 dice with average spearmen.
Keith

It was better to leave disputing about the faith to the theologians and just run argumentative non-believers through with the sword (Louis IX).

gozerius
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by gozerius » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:10 am

You can't shift. Did you reduce your movement appropriately for entering difficult going?
Thracians
Classical Indians
Medieval
-Germans (many flavors), Danes, Low Countries
Burgundians
In progress - Later Hungarians, Grand Moravians

deadtorius
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by deadtorius » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:03 am

Rules say you can't shift and it is possible the difficult terrain would have slowed the chargers so they could not have contacted their target and the charge would not have taken place. The only allowed move besides straight in is a wheel but you can't wheel unless you would get as many or more bases in contact with the wheel than you would by charging straight in and I doubt a wheel would have helped to clear the hill.
Sounds like you were too friendly and let him close with you when the terrain would have kept his charge at bay :shock:

david53
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by david53 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:51 am

gozerius wrote:You can't shift. Did you reduce your movement appropriately for entering difficult going?
Now can't you drop a base back to avoid friends and bad terrian?

BlackPrince

Post by BlackPrince » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:09 am

I guess as we were not playing for sheep stations and more interesting having fun. I guess there could have been some advantage to holding him up for an extra two turns I would have had an overlap on his Elephants for a turn or two.
Keith

It was better to leave disputing about the faith to the theologians and just run argumentative non-believers through with the sword (Louis IX).

hammy
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Re: Charge oops who put the mountain there

Post by hammy » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:39 am

BlackPrince wrote:When my opponent when to move his first BG it clipped a steep hill by a 1/4 of inch severely disordering the BG
Remember that only the bases that are actually in terrain are affected by the terrain.

You can't shift to avoid it though. It is something you need to have planned for by contracting during your advance or deploying so you will move past the terrain.

For a friendly game your solution is fine but it is not what the rules say.

deadtorius

Post by deadtorius » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:25 pm

Now can't you drop a base back to avoid friends and bad terrian?
You can drop back 1 base to avoid friends in the charge path but not for terrain, and not to miss any enemies you would contact other than your target.

BlackPrince

Post by BlackPrince » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:43 am

Yes too friendly but as you can slide a half a base width in movement to avoid terrain we thought it might apply in a charge. As we could not find it quickly on the night we went with the friendly option. I do have another question on the this situation. The BG can only move one inch because of the terrain effect if the BG moved forward one inch it stopped short by one inch from my BG can the bases not on the Steep Hill step forward to make contact with my BG or does the whole charge get cancelled because one file can not may contact?
Keith

philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Post by philqw78 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:31 am

Move the end of the BG on the far side from the terrain forwards pivoting the wheel at the terrain, if it reaches the rest of the BG will step forwards 2 MU therefore all reaching the enemy, even the bases in the terrain will reach as terrain makes no difference to step forwards distance. So this whole thread was pretty moot.
phil
putting the arg into argumentative

Return to “Rules Questions”