Light Spear

This forum is for any questions about the rules. Post here is you need feedback from the design team.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

petedalby
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Light Spear

Post by petedalby » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:20 pm

I support the change of giving a Lt Spear a POA but I'm not convinced this should apply against steady Sp or Pike? Particularly when it is a nil cost option.

It is currently classed as an Impact weapon but when in melee against, say, bow or sling armed foot, shouldn't it still confer an advantage?

Pete

shall
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by shall » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:48 pm

Troops who are good in melee as well tend to get JLS and Sw which sorts outt he men from the boys on the latter.

On Sp and Pk you will find that unless they get win and DISR the SP/PK it should be all over even with the +. See what you think of the overall effect. One of the big challenges is always to do an impact And a melee round to see the effect. The two work together in particular ways.

It is starting to look worth more than 0 now I must admit.

Si

marshalney2000
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by marshalney2000 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:14 pm

As all units have to conssit of an equal number should we consider costing some weapons at a half point e.g. light spears which currently cost nothing?
John

petedalby

Post by petedalby » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:47 am

On Sp and Pk you will find that unless they get win and DISR the SP/PK it should be all over even with the +. See what you think of the overall effect. One of the big challenges is always to do an impact And a melee round to see the effect. The two work together in particular ways.
Agreed - but at impact the Lt Spear have a 50/50 chance of beating 2 rank Spear or 3 rank Pike. That doesn't seem right to me?

In terms of weapons development the early Greeks started with Lt Sp, moved on to Spear and then Pike? So I would expect the hierarchy of POA to be Sp and Pk better than Lt Sp, and deep Pk better than Sp?

Giving too many troop types the same POA surely defeats the whole concept and makes it a lottery.

Pete

shall
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by shall » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:26 pm

If you combine impact and melee I think you will find it does what you are suggesting (all numbers approximated after 3 glasses of red wine so to be taken with due salt):

1. Lt Sp need to win first round and disrupt opponents or they are at a - vs SP and a -- vs 4 deep pike thereafter. About a 45% chance of a win and a 60% chance of DISR if opponent have no pluses for around a 30% chance of a "result". So 2 deep Sp will win about 75% of the time I suspect.

2. 4 deep pike outperfrom 2 deep Sp in general.

3. 3 deep pike are disruptable by JLS but 4 deep pike are generally not - at a + so about 20% chance of a win and 60% of fail for about a 1 in 10 shot and the likelihodd of losing the jav BG rapidly if it fails (rough numbers of top of head).

What does happen, which is fun is that you have this binary effect that after impact the JLS are in trouble or looking OK but there is little middel ground.

Si

daveallen
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by daveallen » Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:41 am

From Marshalney's post yesterday
As all units have to conssit of an equal number ...
Another bit I can't find in the rules. Or lists.

If this is the case then the army lists should say 6 or 8, not 6-8, etc.

Also, while I'm about it, a while back Don McHugh mentioned something about being able to exceed the points limit for a game. Can't find the reference now but is this right?

Dave Allen

donm
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by donm » Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:50 am

Also, while I'm about it, a while back Don McHugh mentioned something about being able to exceed the points limit for a game. Can't find the reference now but is this right?
Sorry Dave not me :)

Don M

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:42 pm

daveallen wrote: Also, while I'm about it, a while back Don McHugh mentioned something about being able to exceed the points limit for a game. Can't find the reference now but is this right?
No. That was 7th edition :wink:

Return to “Rules Questions”