AoW @ Leeds

This forum is for any questions about the rules. Post here is you need feedback from the design team.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

hammy
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by hammy » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:56 am

I think there is a chance we will be able to get Martin Wilkinson down on the Saturday which will make a full player with Phil.

There may be a few more MAWS types interested too

bddbrown
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by bddbrown » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:28 pm

shall wrote:Terry and I are both planning to be there Bruce. Could you summarise numbers expresing input so far and we might even - if epople wouldn't mind - want to suggest a few armies we want to see in play.

Si
I have an email with everyone on it at home. I'll post and to the forum tonight.

bddbrown

Post by bddbrown » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:28 pm

hammy wrote:I think there is a chance we will be able to get Martin Wilkinson down on the Saturday which will make a full player with Phil.

There may be a few more MAWS types interested too
This is good news. I'll add him to my list as a provisional.

nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:00 pm

Would it be possible to come and spectate around AoW at Leeds?

bddbrown

Post by bddbrown » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:08 pm

Something for JD to answer.

There is no reason from my point of view.

neilhammond
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by neilhammond » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:54 pm

Bruce,

I've checked the MASTER DIARY and can confirm that I'm a definite for Leeds. I'm also happy to try a suggested army, provided I've got the figures.

Neil

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:21 pm

shall wrote:Singles might be best as long as we make sure the authors are not too tied up playing. If you need us to make up numbers too much then next to go doubles so there are less games from the free author to cover.

Si
I am not volunteering to be a free author! I want to play!

donm
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by donm » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:40 am

Sorry, but I have been informed today by the BOSS that I shall be on parent visiting duty that weekend and so will be unable to come.

Hopefully, the 'browny points' will be in my favour next time.

Don M

bddbrown

Post by bddbrown » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:37 pm

donm wrote:Sorry, but I have been informed today by the BOSS that I shall be on parent visiting duty that weekend and so will be unable to come.

Hopefully, the 'browny points' will be in my favour next time.

Don M
Sorry to here that. At least it gives someone else a shot at 1st place!

bddbrown

Just Sent This To New Play-Testers

Post by bddbrown » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:38 pm

Hi,

Firstly thank you all for volunteering to help out with the beta testing of Art of War. I am personally having a great deal of fun with the new rules and I hope you will to.

I have passed on your names and email addresses to JD McNeil so that he can send you an NDA agreement. You will need to sign these and send them back to him before you get copies of the rules and army lists.

After you get the rules and army lists, have a go, play a few games and see how they work! There may be play-testers in your area already who can help you through a couple of games ??“ the easiest way to find them will be to sign up to the Slitherine forum (JD will include details with the NDA email) where you can post reactions, battle-reports and questions to the writers. Part of the deal for play testing is to provide as much high quality feedback as possible to the rules writers so they can make the rules as good, easy to understand and fun as possible. The forum is an excellent place to express your opinions, ideas and thoughts.

Leeds will be a singles competition, although if you feel more comfortable playing with a partner then I??™m going to be relaxed about these things. At some point before Leeds, you can request up to five additional lists from Richard Bodley-Scott above the ones provided for play-testing ??“ more details to follow about which army lists are available to pick from. You may then use any army list you have access to for Leeds. In order to ensure that we don??™t have any problems on the day etc, I would ask that everyone hands in their army lists to Richard Bodley-Scott by Monday 26th February ??“ he has kindly volunteered to list check for the competition.

All that remains would be to turn up on the day! If for any reason you cannot make it then please let me know as soon as you can. More details to follow in the next weeks regarding the scoring system and any other details I may have forgotten. As ever if you have any questions then just email me and I??™ll get back to you asap.

See you all there!

- Bruce.

bddbrown

Entrants For Leeds

Post by bddbrown » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:42 pm

Hi,

Here is the list of definites for Leeds so far:
Andy Ellis Needs NDA
Andy Robinson Needs NDA
Bob Amey Needs NDA
Bruce Brown Play Tester
David Fairhurst Needs NDA
Gary Buckley Needs NDA
Huw Peregrine-Young Needs NDA
Ian Stewart Needs NDA
James Hamilton Play Tester
Matt Haywood Needs NDA
Neil Hammond Play Tester
Paul Cummins Needs NDA
Phil Lewis Play Tester
Richard Bodley-Scott Writer
Roger Greenwood Needs NDA
Simon Hall Writer
Terry Shaw Writer

And the following are tentatives:
Bob Whitehouse Needs NDA
Clive Vaughn Play Tester
Phil Giles Play Tester (Sunday Only)
Steve Charlton Needs NDA

Sorry if I've got someone in the wrong group - lots of emails and so forth. Please let me know if I've got it wrong.

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:09 pm

At present the plan is that Damian Ranasinghe & Mike Baldwin will be coming up with me.

This does depend on my sorting out a locum or swap for my Friday evening surgery, so is not yet 100% definite. I don't fancy starting out for Leeds from Usk at 7.30pm!

nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:47 pm

Now that is a very interesting list of people who want to give AoW a go IMO.

bddbrown

Post by bddbrown » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:27 pm

rbodleyscott wrote:At present the plan is that Damian Ranasinghe & Mike Baldwin will be coming up with me.

This does depend on my sorting out a locum or swap for my Friday evening surgery, so is not yet 100% definite. I don't fancy starting out for Leeds from Usk at 7.30pm!
Good news. I note them down.

nikgaukroger wrote:Now that is a very interesting list of people who want to give AoW a go IMO.
Mostly doubles regulars - a good cross section of people, player types and personalities. I just hope everyone provides feedback that helps the rules.

jdm
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by jdm » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:24 am

Bruce

The final numbers will need to be nailed down as the tables are hired in to suit at Leeds

REgards
JDM

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:44 am

Looks like me, Damian and Mike are now definites.

bddbrown

Post by bddbrown » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:12 am

jdm wrote:Bruce

The final numbers will need to be nailed down as the tables are hired in to suit at Leeds

REgards
JDM
I'm intending to put out an email tonight, so I'll include a section asking for confirmation by the end of this week.

nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:14 am

jdm wrote:Bruce

REgards
JDM
Ian, do you have any problems with me attending on the Saturday to observe (and no doubt talk army list stuff :D ) ?

hammy
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by hammy » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:21 pm

Is there any point in us trying to organise the attendees to make sure that all the army types that need testing are represented?

Considering the armies from Usk and the changes to the rulesI think we need to make sure that there are armies based around the following:

Light chariot
Heavy Chariot
Elephant
Pikes
War Wagons (at least a Hungarian or Med German if not a Hussite)
Non pike drilled protected foot
Bow
Cataphracts

There are enough interested players so that players with limited army choices can just bring what they fancy but for those with options we should try to cover all the above at least.

Are there any other things that the designers want to see used specifically?

neilhammond

Post by neilhammond » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:07 pm

Following on from Hammy's suggestion, perhaps the best way is for the authors to list the armies they want us to try out and then we nominate (to Bruce?) our preferred "type" beforehand. Otherwise there is the danger that everone turns up with Later Hungarian waggons. So long as there is a reasonable cross-section of armies taken it should suffice.

You might want to split the Bows into Foot Bow and Mounted Bow armies.

Neil

Return to “Rules Questions”