Battle Report ??“ Chaironeia, the sequel.

This forum is for any questions about the rules. Post here is you need feedback from the design team.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

lanceflint
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by lanceflint » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:04 pm

I wont bore you with a dribbling tale of gross incompetence or delight you with a superb video nasty of all the exciting bits, rather summarise the results of the two games between Phillips` Macedonians and a Greek Alliance.

The Greeks are big, I managed 18 BG`s against the Macedonian 13, a significant advantage and one that will make the Hoplite Greek List a very popular one. On that note maybe non-Thessalonians can have too many mounted troops?
With 4 TC`s, several of them allies a lot of points are freed up for troops.

The foot companions were universally stuffed, six out of seven blocks being broken in the two battles, despite being supported, a sprinkling of generals and fighting to their front. It was an alarming succession of double drops that did for them despite taking virtually no losses at all in bases.

Their mounted brothers on the other hand did the opposite, 4 blocks of 4, 3 with generals charged 4 blocks of 8 average hoplites, 1 with a general. The result being 4 BGs of broken hoplites for the loss of one base of Companions.

In the second battle the Macedonians lost 3 small pike blocks, Thracian peltasts and two BGs of Agrianian types, one being Superior, to the Greeks losses of 2 x 8 Hoplites, their smaller BG of Thracians, 1 small BG of LH and 3 BGs of javelinmen, two being poor. With the current scoring system the Macedonians achieved a marginal victory.

I think that both myself and Pete found this game one of our best so far for the tactical challenges it presented. Certainly my main criticism would be the undue effect that double drops had to the combats, 3 pike blocks broke with the total loss of only 1 base!

I will post a suggestion about double drops on the Forum.

Lance.

shall
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by shall » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:56 pm

Interest stuff lance. Good time to slot it into the post Usk discoveries.

Si

terrys
Panzer Corps Team
Panzer Corps Team

Post by terrys » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:37 pm

I think that both myself and Pete found this game one of our best so far for the tactical challenges it presented. Certainly my main criticism would be the undue effect that double drops had to the combats, 3 pike blocks broke with the total loss of only 1 base!
Don't get too concerned about losing (or not) losing bases. The game revolves around the cohesion tests. It doesn't really matter whether or not you lose bases, death roll is only there for an attrition affect that makes small BG's sizes a little risky.
I once a battle to Simon with the loss of only one base. On the other hand, I lost 3 BG's this weekend purely due to auto-break on casualties.

Return to “Rules Questions”