How can I charge?

This forum is for any questions about the rules. Post here is you need feedback from the design team.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

kevinj
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Re: How can I charge?

Post by kevinj » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:43 am

So if I hit a rear corner and step forward into a rear base its a frontal charge??????
I'm struggling to see how you could have a charge that impacts the rear corner first, isn't a legal flank charge, but steps forward into the rear edge. Any chance of a diagram?

grahambriggs
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by grahambriggs » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:03 am

kevinj wrote:
So if I hit a rear corner and step forward into a rear base its a frontal charge??????
I'm struggling to see how you could have a charge that impacts the rear corner first, isn't a legal flank charge, but steps forward into the rear edge. Any chance of a diagram?
The original post, question 1. If the red BG were two bases wide (with an extra file to the left of the existing file). Red could wheel, charge straight, hit the rear corner and then the left hand file would step forward and contact the rear edge.

Of course, you don't have to do this - if you do the wheel differently you could simply contact the rear edge, so making it a rear charge.

kevinj
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by kevinj » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:33 am

The original post, question 1. If the red BG were two bases wide (with an extra file to the left of the existing file). Red could wheel, charge straight, hit the rear corner and then the left hand file would step forward and contact the rear edge.
OK, so it is feasible, but as you say there are other options that would allow you to make a legal rear charge.

bbotus
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by bbotus » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:16 pm

Surely this is analagous to hitting the front corner and stepping forward into the flank, i.e. it counts as what you hit first?
Another good comment. And, I can see a unit, not entirely behind the front of the enemy BG, charging, pivoting and hitting the rear corner. By definition, the charge is frontal since it didn't start with one base entirely in the flank. We need some definition of starting positions for rear charges, too. Something like: To be a rear charge, at least 1 base must start entirely directly behind the unit to be charged. (or) To be a rear charge, the entire BG must start behind a straight line extending the rear edge of the enemy BG.

Return to “Rules Questions”