breaking off??

This forum is for any questions about the rules. Post here is you need feedback from the design team.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

grandad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

breaking off??

Post by grandad » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:24 pm

are yu limited to how many break offs you can do in a turn(not the same bg)

Robert241167
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Re: breaking off??

Post by Robert241167 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:32 pm

No limit grandad.

If BG's have to and can break off then they will all break off.

Rob

philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Post by philqw78 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:16 pm

Break off is compulsory. If a BG that should break off cannot it drops a cohesion level
phil
putting the arg into argumentative

grandad

Post by grandad » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:48 pm

phil or saying a bg that can has too

zoltan
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by zoltan » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:13 am

grandad wrote:phil or saying a bg that can has too
Yes its compulsory unless another battlegroup has somehow trapped your bg in contact with enemy (I've never seen that happen but theoretically it could).

grandad

Post by grandad » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:37 pm

cheers

hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:28 pm

zoltan wrote:Yes its compulsory unless another battlegroup has somehow trapped your bg in contact with enemy (I've never seen that happen but theoretically it could).
Seen it a fair bit. Quite fun too.

Polkovnik
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Polkovnik » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:49 pm

Sometimes you charge without orders and then conform into a position where your a friendly BG stops the break off. Nasty.

zoltan
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by zoltan » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:03 pm

Polkovnik wrote:Sometimes you charge without orders and then conform into a position where your a friendly BG stops the break off. Nasty.
You let your bgs get into a risky situation like that?! :oops:

dave_r
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by dave_r » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:23 pm

Polkovnik wrote:Sometimes you charge without orders and then conform into a position where your a friendly BG stops the break off. Nasty.
But since you get a chance to move your friendly BG out of the way in the movement phase, this shouldn't be a problem.

Normally it is the opponent preventing the break off - I've done it on numerous occasions.
Evaluator of Supremacy

ravenflight
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by ravenflight » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:13 pm

dave_r wrote:
But since you get a chance to move your friendly BG out of the way in the movement phase, this shouldn't be a problem.

Normally it is the opponent preventing the break off - I've done it on numerous occasions.
I'm not sure about V2, but I'be been in situs where cataphracts had to break off from MF spearmen. I couldn't because of that exact reason. Charged, conformed and was in front of my own troops who couldn't get out of the way. It depends on the troops, but in V1 undrilled 'practically anything' would have a difficult time getting from behind their own troops, esp since it's only a problem if they are <1" away, and so wheeling is going to cause issues (if you wheel correctly that is - which few people seem to do)

grahambriggs
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by grahambriggs » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:17 am

ravenflight wrote:
dave_r wrote:

I'm not sure about V2, but I'be been in situs where cataphracts had to break off from MF spearmen. I couldn't because of that exact reason. Charged, conformed and was in front of my own troops who couldn't get out of the way. It depends on the troops, but in V1 undrilled 'practically anything' would have a difficult time getting from behind their own troops, esp since it's only a problem if they are <1" away, and so wheeling is going to cause issues (if you wheel correctly that is - which few people seem to do)
In which case you're not thinking ahead enough. The move before, you should have thought "if I move my cataphracts there and my opponent reacts, will I end up in a daft position where I can't break off". Or you could put the IC with them to improve the chances of stopping them charging. Granted that undrilled troops are often clumsy. But that might be an issue of making sure that the other BG can also charge (and is of a type that wants to). Or just don't put clumsy troops that close to the cataphracts.

zoltan
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by zoltan » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:44 pm

grahambriggs wrote:In which case you're not thinking ahead enough. The move before, you should have thought "if I move my cataphracts there and my opponent reacts, will I end up in a daft position where I can't break off". Or you could put the IC with them to improve the chances of stopping them charging. Granted that undrilled troops are often clumsy. But that might be an issue of making sure that the other BG can also charge (and is of a type that wants to). Or just don't put clumsy troops that close to the cataphracts.
Yes, that was essentially my point - anticip..............ation (queue Phil, "It's just a jump to the left...").

kevinj
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by kevinj » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:56 pm

anticip..............ation
I think you'll find Robert is your man here... :twisted:

Polkovnik
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Polkovnik » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:14 am

grahambriggs wrote:
In which case you're not thinking ahead enough. The move before, you should have thought "if I move my cataphracts there and my opponent reacts, will I end up in a daft position where I can't break off". Or you could put the IC with them to improve the chances of stopping them charging. Granted that undrilled troops are often clumsy. But that might be an issue of making sure that the other BG can also charge (and is of a type that wants to). Or just don't put clumsy troops that close to the cataphracts.
Well we all make mistakes sometimes. It's the sort of thing that happens once and then you make sure it doesn't happen again.

grandad

Post by grandad » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:47 pm

am i right a mounted unit of lancers attacks a steady unit of mf. the mf result in getting disrupted can the mounted unit choose either to break off or say?

Robert241167

Post by Robert241167 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:14 pm

Hi grandad

The mounted do not get a choice.

They have to break off or stay depending on whether the foot are steady or not.

Rob

grandad

Post by grandad » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:10 pm

sorry they will stay if they stay steady but if they inflict a hit they can choose??

gozerius
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by gozerius » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:38 pm

Mounted in contact with steady foot must break off. Mounted in contact with unsteady foot do not break off. If at least half the bases in front edge contact are steady foot, the mounted break off.
Thracians
Classical Indians
Medieval
-Germans (many flavors), Danes, Low Countries
Burgundians
In progress - Later Hungarians, Grand Moravians

grahambriggs

Post by grahambriggs » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:30 am

grandad wrote:am i right a mounted unit of lancers attacks a steady unit of mf. the mf result in getting disrupted can the mounted unit choose either to break off or say?
They do not break off because the foot are not Steady. Breaking off is not a choice. If half or more the opponents are steady foot the lancers MUST break off. If not they CANT break off.

Return to “Rules Questions”