re-rolls?

This forum is for any questions about the rules. Post here is you need feedback from the design team.

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

grandad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

re-rolls?

Post by grandad »

i don't understand this elites get a re-roll on 1s and 2s so say you have 2 bases in a melee and you roll a 2 an 6 you re-roll the 2 and roll a 1 dose this mean you roll it again
paullongmore
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Re: re-rolls?

Post by paullongmore »

No you only get 1 reroll of each dice.
Incidentally this cant result in a worse value than the original. (You get to keep the original roll)
grandad

Post by grandad »

but you still miss i do understand why it says you you cant roll lower than your original
ravenflight
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by ravenflight »

grandad wrote:but you still miss i do understand why it says you you cant roll lower than your original
Because lets say you do a cohesion test and roll 2 x 2's. This would disrupt you BUT you get to reroll both dice, you get a 5 and a 1 which fails BUT the 1 cannot be worse than a 2 so you've passed on 7. Doesn't really matter in combat however.
Polkovnik
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Polkovnik »

ravenflight wrote:
grandad wrote:but you still miss i do understand why it says you you cant roll lower than your original
Because lets say you do a cohesion test and roll 2 x 2's. This would disrupt you BUT you get to reroll both dice, you get a 5 and a 1 which fails BUT the 1 cannot be worse than a 2 so you've passed on 7. Doesn't really matter in combat however.
That raises an interesting point to be aware of. Say you'd rolled 1 and 2 first time, and re-rolled them. I think most of use would just pick them both up and re-roll them together. But you should presumably roll them separately, so that you know which was the 1 and which was the 2. Because if you re-rolled and got a 5 and a 1, it matters which one was re-rolled as which. If the original 1 was re-rolled as the 1, it remains 1 (leaving a total of 6), but if the 2 was re-rolled as 1 it stays as 2 (leaving a total of 7).

Although the only time this can matter is in this exact case - Elite troops rolling a 1 and a 2 in a CT / CMT.
ravenflight

Post by ravenflight »

Polkovnik wrote:
ravenflight wrote:
That raises an interesting point to be aware of. Say you'd rolled 1 and 2 first time, and re-rolled them. I think most of use would just pick them both up and re-roll them together. But you should presumably roll them separately, so that you know which was the 1 and which was the 2. Because if you re-rolled and got a 5 and a 1, it matters which one was re-rolled as which. If the original 1 was re-rolled as the 1, it remains 1 (leaving a total of 6), but if the 2 was re-rolled as 1 it stays as 2 (leaving a total of 7).

Although the only time this can matter is in this exact case - Elite troops rolling a 1 and a 2 in a CT / CMT.
Yes, You should re-roll them separately... no, I wouldn't do it that way and COULD be in an embarrassing situation, but it is so rare I'd just accept the folly and re-roll both a second time.

This is one of the things I stated a couple of times in my comp games. If you make a mistake with your dice rolling you do the LOT again, despite rolling a really good roll. For example, lets say you have 4 advantaged and 4 disadvantaged. You roll 8 dice and get 7 4's and a 5. Well, that really sucks because you're gonna have to re-roll the LOT again separately so you know which of the 4's hit. I see people try to do statistical analysis to work it out. Nope, bad luck, you should have worked out your colour coding or rolled separately first time.

Return to “Rules Questions”