rant

This forum is for any questions about the rules. Post here is you need feedback from the design team.

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

Polkovnik
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Re: rant

Post by Polkovnik »

Not much of a rant but I don't see any cause for a rant anyway - as far as I've seen, all of his many questions have been answered with patience and tolerance. Much more so than deserved in many cases, as most of the questions he has asked could be answered by simply reading the rules. Few if any were about tricky points of the rules.
dugroz
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by dugroz »

grahambriggs wrote: I think so - both from near Andover in Hampshire. I think the problem was he didn't have a group of players sufficiently near to be workable for him. And I do think this is a difficult rule set to pick up without more experienced players to talk you through it - as indeed most rule sets of any complexity are. A shame, as we need all the new players we can get.

Unfortunately the initial entry barriers to this hobby (cost, complexity, time for games, painting needed) are high and the learning curve can be steep.
I can strongly second that motion. I was someone who got into FoG complete of my own volition by looking up info online. My only opponent is either myself or one buddy (whom I teach). I had no one to mentor me when I came into v. 1 almost exactly 2 years ago (I was late to the party). I have asked questions in the past, where I tried in earnest to look up the rule and failed; then, after someone says, "it's right on page x," I realize how obvious it is, but still missed it.

I haven't bought v.2 yet ( :oops: ) but I'm sure when I do I'll have more questions!
See my blog at:
www.wargamesreview.blogspot.com

Battle Reports, Videos, Reviews of FoG and Warhammer.
spike
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by spike »

dugroz wrote:
grahambriggs wrote: I think so - both from near Andover in Hampshire. I think the problem was he didn't have a group of players sufficiently near to be workable for him. And I do think this is a difficult rule set to pick up without more experienced players to talk you through it - as indeed most rule sets of any complexity are. A shame, as we need all the new players we can get.

Unfortunately the initial entry barriers to this hobby (cost, complexity, time for games, painting needed) are high and the learning curve can be steep.
I can strongly second that motion. I was someone who got into FoG complete of my own volition by looking up info online. My only opponent is either myself or one buddy (whom I teach). I had no one to mentor me when I came into v. 1 almost exactly 2 years ago (I was late to the party). I have asked questions in the past, where I tried in earnest to look up the rule and failed; then, after someone says, "it's right on page x," I realize how obvious it is, but still missed it.

I haven't bought v.2 yet ( :oops: ) but I'm sure when I do I'll have more questions!
I recomend v.2 it's has been an improvement over v.1 All I add is look at the forum dedicated to the problems with the e version. Its lack of search is a significant handicap, and is why I for one wanted a book.

Keep sending in questions, as long as there sensible questions, people will give you an answer- ( I can't vouch for the quality from some respondants :twisted: )
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
Benjamin Franklin

A fool and his money are soon elected.
Will Rogers

Pitty the fool!!!
Mr T
petedalby
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by petedalby »

Grandad - aka Steve - is still with us.

He's now in touch with the Farnborough Club and benefiting from seeing the game played and with the opportunity to ask questions.

I think it is incumbent on us all to support anyone who is interested in FoG.

He lives in Andover and if anyone in that part of the world wants to get in touch with him I'm sure he'd be delighted to hear from you.
Pete
dave_r
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by dave_r »

petedalby wrote:Grandad - aka Steve - is still with us.

He's now in touch with the Farnborough Club and benefiting from seeing the game played and with the opportunity to ask questions.

He lives in Andover and if anyone in that part of the world wants to get in touch with him I'm sure he'd be delighted to hear from you.
Excellent - nice one Pete.

As long as you don't corrupt Steve with all that FoG(R) nonsense he'll be fine.
Evaluator of Supremacy
petedalby

Post by petedalby »

I think I've probably messed myself up with FoGR - whoever gets to play me in round 1 at MK this weekend is probably in for a very easy time. Must remember I am allowed to deploy foot within 12" of the side edge.
Pete
grahambriggs

Post by grahambriggs »

petedalby wrote:Grandad - aka Steve - is still with us.

Good to hear that Pete - I was worried that he'd given up.
mungocallow
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by mungocallow »

i am sure that Grandad aka steve now visits the Wessex wargames society in Colbury on the edge of Southampton now. He visits the club forum frequently and asks lots of questions and is forever posting questions, a lot of the time in the wrong place unfortunately

Return to “Rules Questions”