Dismounted knights

This forum is for any questions about the rules. Post here is you need feedback from the design team.
mungocallow
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Dismounted knights

Post by mungocallow » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:49 pm

Hi

Would just like to double check on something i believe i am doing correct

Got Early Crusader knights and Norman knights, both list allow for them to dismount

Therefore if i choose to dismount any of the above at the start of the game for them to fight as Offensive spearmen they must still be paid for in the original list as mounted knights costing 20 points a base as opposed to Offensive spearmen at 12

I believe i am correct but would be grateful of confirmation

Robert241167
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Re: Dismounted knights

Post by Robert241167 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:28 pm

Hi there

You pay the full points for the mounted knights with the added ability to dismount.

Rob

ravenflight
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by ravenflight » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:00 pm

mungocallow wrote:Hi

Would just like to double check on something i believe i am doing correct

Got Early Crusader knights and Norman knights, both list allow for them to dismount

Therefore if i choose to dismount any of the above at the start of the game for them to fight as Offensive spearmen they must still be paid for in the original list as mounted knights costing 20 points a base as opposed to Offensive spearmen at 12

I believe i am correct but would be grateful of confirmation
I believe that the Early Crusader list (at least) allows you to buy them as dismounted. This would mean they would NEVER be able to be mounted, but would also cost 12 points. If you want the flexibility, then yes, you pay 20.

Robert241167

Post by Robert241167 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:05 pm

Sorry I missed the special campaign from 1098 to 1099.

Basically if you want to buy them as mounted and then have the option to stay mounted or dismount in game you will pay the full price of mounted knights.

There is at least 1 army in the books which cost the same mounted as dismounted which I think is Arab Conquest. :wink:

Rob

mungocallow
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by mungocallow » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:39 pm

Hi Guys

thanks for the replies

Both the Early Crusader list with the 1098-99 campaign and the Norman list with the 1066 campaign gives you options to downgrade some of the mounted to the heavy foot. Both lists have notes say that the knights (Crusaders) and Milites (Normans) can dismount and fight as offensive spear

Therefore my reading of this is unless they are from the special campaigns i pay the full points of them as mounted and then i can dismount them and use them as offensive spear

ravenflight

Post by ravenflight » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:29 am

hmm, I think you're confused.

If the list says:

dismounted knight HI, Offensive Spear 4-16 @ 12 ap - you buy them dismounted.

if the notes say that knights can dismount you buy them at full value.

So, in several lists you MAY be able to buy both dismounted knights at 12 AP and mounted knights at 20 AP. Both would have the ability to be dismouted, but those at 20 AP would not give you any AP back.

E.G. I'm pretty sure the Early Crusaders can dismountthe whole army, but you would have a certain minimum of knights that must be bought as mounted. In the setup of the battle they CAN (if you choose to) start as dismounted, but still are paid for as mounted, and indeed stay in the bg size they were purchased. So you may have 'Dismounted knights' paid for as Offensive Spear and in BGs of 6 and mounted knights paid for as Armoured Knights in Bg's of 4 which you choose to dismount.

Hope this makes sense.

mungocallow
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by mungocallow » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:21 am

ravenflight wrote:hmm, I think you're confused.

If the list says:

So, in several lists you MAY be able to buy both dismounted knights at 12 AP and mounted knights at 20 AP. Both would have the ability to be dismouted, but those at 20 AP would not give you any AP back.

E.G. I'm pretty sure the Early Crusaders can dismountthe whole army, but you would have a certain minimum of knights that must be bought as mounted. In the setup of the battle they CAN (if you choose to) start as dismounted, but still are paid for as mounted, and indeed stay in the bg size they were purchased. So you may have 'Dismounted knights' paid for as Offensive Spear and in BGs of 6 and mounted knights paid for as Armoured Knights in Bg's of 4 which you choose to dismount.

Hope this makes sense.
Hi

In both sets of lists mentioned buying them dismounted as offensive spear only appears in special campaign section of lists. The part where i read that the knights can dismount appeared on the notes section after the historical background part of the particular army. That is the part i am trying to get the answer on. Buying them as downgraded knights at 12 points a base is straightforward. Its the part in the notes section about them being able to dismount which is unclear to me. These knights i feel i have to buy at full value which is my original query

However, thank you for your replies and views, much appreciated

ravenflight

Post by ravenflight » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:50 am

mungocallow wrote:
ravenflight wrote:hmm, I think you're confused.

If the list says:

Hope this makes sense.
Hi

In both sets of lists mentioned buying them dismounted as offensive spear only appears in special campaign section of lists. The part where i read that the knights can dismount appeared on the notes section after the historical background part of the particular army. That is the part i am trying to get the answer on. Buying them as downgraded knights at 12 points a base is straightforward. Its the part in the notes section about them being able to dismount which is unclear to me. These knights i feel i have to buy at full value which is my original query

However, thank you for your replies and views, much appreciated
Yes, correct. Purchased at full mounted cost. Sorry, I'm extremely tired today so probably not reading what you most likely put in a straight forward manner.

Blame the mosquito and cat that kept me awake last night. One of them is now dead. I won't say which one!

philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Post by philqw78 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:13 pm

mungocallow wrote:. Its the part in the notes section about them being able to dismount which is unclear to me. These knights i feel i have to buy at full value which is my original query
These troops can dismount at the start of any game, inside or outside of the special campaign time period, but they are paid for at full cost, since they deploy mounted and can stay mounted.
Very few troops in FoG get the option to dismount.
phil
putting the arg into argumentative

Return to “Rules Questions”