Terrain

This forum is for any questions about the rules. Post here is you need feedback from the design team.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

MADcozy
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Terrain

Post by MADcozy » Fri May 16, 2008 10:11 pm

Ok - I've laid out my compulsary and chosen terrain pieces. A couple of 'open' pieces, a couple of 'enclosed fields', some low hills and a village piece. I now have got different types of terrain which have different effects depending on troop type. What do I class the rest of the playing area as ie the areas on the table with no terrain pieces? Sorry for being stupid, but its a genuine question!

Draka
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Draka » Fri May 16, 2008 10:49 pm

The rest of the table is Open Field - no restrictions. The terrain pieces labelled as Open Terrain are only used in the setup portion of the game to deny your opponent placing anything else within that area.

alcibiades
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by alcibiades » Sat May 17, 2008 1:35 am

Sorry Draka but that's not quite right. The rest of the board is open area. Open fields do have movement and other effects.

Kent

SirGarnet
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by SirGarnet » Sat May 17, 2008 1:44 am

Open Fields are basically ploughed ground so Uneven, which is usefully different from Rough in having less effect on most mounted troops. In particular, LH and Elephants are unaffected by them - Parthians, Numidians take note.

Draka
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Draka » Sat May 17, 2008 3:00 am

I sit corrected .........

hammy
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by hammy » Sat May 17, 2008 8:50 am

The idea of the open ground pieces of terrain is simply to restrict where other terrain can go. The whole battlefield is good going to start with and as terrain is placed it gets less so. Placing an open space means that that area cannot have other terran placed there but the open space is removed before the game commences as the underlying terrain is just that, open space.

MADcozy

Post by MADcozy » Tue May 20, 2008 10:06 am

Many thanks to you guys for clearing that up for me. Must learn to concentrate!

lawrenceg
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by lawrenceg » Wed May 21, 2008 5:44 pm

hammy wrote:The idea of the open ground pieces of terrain is simply to restrict where other terrain can go. The whole battlefield is good going to start with and as terrain is placed it gets less so. Placing an open space means that that area cannot have other terran placed there but the open space is removed before the game commences as the underlying terrain is just that, open space.
Just remember that "Open" is not the same as "Open Fields". Hammy above is describing "Open".

MikeK below is decribing "Open Fields"
Open Fields are basically ploughed ground so Uneven, which is usefully different from Rough in having less effect on most mounted troops. In particular, LH and Elephants are unaffected by them - Parthians, Numidians take note.
Lawrence Greaves

Return to “Rules Questions”