Intercept charges...

This forum is for any questions about the rules. Post here is you need feedback from the design team.

Moderators: terrys, hammy, philqw78, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

ChrisTofalos
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Intercept charges...

Post by ChrisTofalos »

If lined up correctly, can an intercept charge stop exactly level with the front base edge of the unit being charged? That is, the interceptors finish in side edge & front corner contact with the unit being charged and the original chargers then have to contact both...

Chris
AlanCutner
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Re: Intercept charges...

Post by AlanCutner »

Don't have the rules to hand, but I would say not. An interception charge has to cross the path of the charge, so will have to edge slightly forward of the target. Ofcourse, in the example you give its likely some bases of the charger will still step forward into the original target.
ChrisTofalos

Post by ChrisTofalos »

Thanks Alan

Perhaps the following diagram best explains the situation (the cavalry at the top have declared a charge on the HF and their supporting cavalry at the bottom wish to intercept):

I suppose it depends on how you define 'cross the path'. The interceptors will finish their move at the end of the chargers' path. I suppose if they went a few millimetres further that would certainly count as crossing the path. In fact, it would result in 2 cavalry v 2 cavalry and 2 cavalry v 2 HF, whereas if they stopped level it would be, respectively, 1 v 1 and 3 v 3. Also, in each case, which way do the chargers conform?
ravenflight
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by ravenflight »

Hi,

From my V1 days, the intercept had to be the distance it had to be (ie 4MU's from memory).

That 4MU had to cross the path (as previously discussed) so if you stopped your cavalry EXACTLY 4MU back from the front edge of the HF they COULDN'T (by definition) intercept as they wouldn't be able to cross the path... so like you said, you had them 3.99MU back from the front edge.
Custor
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Custor »

The original charges will still step forward with the uncontacted bases. Making them fight both units if that's your intention.
petedalby
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by petedalby »

I believe Alan is correct - the interceptors need to cross the charge path - so just slightly ahead of the original target.

For the conform the bases would move to the right as you look at your picture. But that raises another question.

There are no permitted 8 base BGs of Cavalry to my knowledge? So are these 2 x 4 base BGs? It doesn't really change how the BGs fight or conform but just curious.
Pete
ChrisTofalos

Post by ChrisTofalos »

Thank you all. It's something I've only just come across (and a tactic that probably cost me the game!). As for the interceptors having to move 4 MU, the rules state: "...can be up to the limit of the battle group's ZOI," so there's no compulsion for cavalry to move the full 4 MU...
navigator
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by navigator »

I had this exact thing happen at Usk this year in the doubles.. in a vital charge involving elephants, cav and infantry.

The umpire could not remember what the answer should be, so we rolled a dice (all fine, no issue).

Then later I think we got a ruling that interceptors had to go 'beyond level' (ie cross the charge path)

I agree that according to the rules as written, and as you suggest above, interceptors should have to go beyond level.

is it worth adding into the clarifications as at the moment it is a grey area for some people?
petedalby

Post by petedalby »

is it worth adding into the clarifications as at the moment it is a grey area for some people?
Hi Paul - I feel your pain! We've probably all been in that situation where you can't find it in the rules when you need it most.

The umpire clarifications were issued to address anomalies and contradictions. This doesn't really fit that bill. The rules are clear on Page 67 - last bullet. And it is supported by the diagram on the same page.

We did include a bit on intercepts for other reasons and that repeats the need for the intercept to cross the path of the charge.

So it is covered - maybe worth highlighting it in your rule book so you never miss it again.
Pete
spotteddog
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by spotteddog »

Hope it wasn't too costly Paul. Not like you not to be cable to x ref the ruled - heat of battle?
H.H.
navigator

Post by navigator »

It was fine ... Until Usk, I had never encountered an interpretation that 'being level with friends' is ok for an intercept.....so in the spirit of sportsmanship I was trying to ensure my opponent did not feel hard done by - as he thought 'level' was ok...and then I was surprised when the umpire said level was ok... but was fine as you go with what the umpire says.... but clearly some people do think 'level' is ok so the grey area does exist.

But am glad to have seen the question on here too as it clears things up

The 'vital' bit of the charge got forgotten anyhow when the dice went considerably in my favour....!
philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Post by philqw78 »

Can intercepts contact anybody?
phil
putting the arg into argumentative, except for the lists I check where there is no argument!
zoltan
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by zoltan »

philqw78 wrote:Can intercepts contact anybody?
No it can't. The interceptor may only position itself such that the charger will contact the interceptor. i.e. the interceptor intercepts the charger.
philqw78

Post by philqw78 »

What about troops other than the charger

Mr Handley tried to make the point that there is nothing in the rules that says an interceptor cannot contact other troops last weekend, then went on to win the competition
phil
putting the arg into argumentative, except for the lists I check where there is no argument!
AlanCutner

Post by AlanCutner »

Again no rules to hand. But isn't there something saying units can only contact enemy via a charge?
petedalby

Post by petedalby »

Again no rules to hand. But isn't there something saying units can only contact enemy via a charge?
Yes - Page 82 - moving into contact with enemy battle groups.
Can intercepts contact anybody?
Yes - if it is in a position to intercept the flank or rear of the original charger. This makes the intercept a 'normal charge' and it can step forward into other targets - page 68.
Mr Handley tried to make the point that there is nothing in the rules that says an interceptor cannot contact other troops last weekend, then went on to win the competition
That doesn't make it right.
Pete
philqw78

Post by philqw78 »

That doesn't make it right
But Dave's point was that nothing you said above or anywhere in the rules makes it wrong
phil
petedalby

Post by petedalby »

But Dave's point was that nothing you said above or anywhere in the rules makes it wrong
Fair enough - I can see how that could be argued but that it is when you would hope the umpire would rule against it. An intercept charge is a response to a charge. It is not a charge in itself unless it is against the flank or rear of the original charger.
Pete
philqw78

Post by philqw78 »

Perhaps an addition to your clarifications
phil

Return to “Rules Questions”