Making the steppe more welcoming

This forum is for any questions about the rules. Post here is you need feedback from the design team.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

lawrenceg
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by lawrenceg » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:08 pm

petedalby wrote:Going slightly off topic, but,
The bit I'm surprised about is the "combining hills + other bits to soak up multiple terrain choices". That seems to give steppe armies an extra edge.
How is this possible with Steppe? A hill can only be combined with BG, B, P, V, F, or Vg. And only if Hills are compulsory or the covering is compulsory.

I can't see that either apply? Or am I missing something?

Pete
You missed that "only if Hills are compulsory or the covering is compulsory" only applies if you want to place the covered hill as a compulsory piece.

If you place it as an optional piece, you just need the hill and the covering to be permitted terrains. Steppes have BG and B and one gentle hill.
Lawrence Greaves

petedalby
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by petedalby » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:48 pm

Got it!

Thanks Lawrence!

Pete

nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:38 am

ethan wrote:
Now, without having played the game (and seen the army lists...) it is hard to say for sure. But it seems like a potential counter and certainly not a fight we have seen reported very much so far. I woldn't write off the chariots as a counter before having seen them in action at least...
I'm expecting chariot armies to be a good counter to steppe types - however, wether they are then any good against non-steppe armies is another question and I feel that many will not be overly competative outside a "biblical" theme. The late Assyrians may be a good all ropund contender though.
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

nikgaukroger@blueyonder.co.uk

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:27 am

nikgaukroger wrote:I'm expecting chariot armies to be a good counter to steppe types - however, whether they are then any good against non-steppe armies is another question and I feel that many will not be overly competative outside a "biblical" theme.
Not entirely convinced about the latter point. As long as they don't take too many non-light foot, LCh Bow armies can operate in much the same way as a shooty cavalry army, but are better vs heavy armoured knights. (Because they are no worse off POA wise, but get 2 dice per base in melee).

Seems to me they could be a contender, but only time will tell.

Later Mycenaeans might be a bit of a handful for many opponents too. (Lots of LCh Light Spear who dismount as MF Superior, Armoured, Offensive Spearmen)

Return to “Rules Questions”