Problems with movement trays...

This forum is for any questions about the rules. Post here is you need feedback from the design team.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

ChrisTofalos
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Problems with movement trays...

Post by ChrisTofalos » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:19 pm

I like using pike armies and use some nifty magnetised movement trays that allow 8 or sometimes 12 base units to move around so much more easily. However, I came across a problem with them during one of my recent Britcon games.

After deployment my opponent had a useful overlap on my line of pikes. I needed to move them to my right flank to prevent this. When I started to wheel each individual unit (of eight) I ran into a problem. I measured off the wheel but when I moved the unit forwards the rear bases fouled the unit next to them. I couldn't see a way round it and wasn't allowed to wheel. It's taken me a while to realise what went wrong and it's all down to the movement trays.

When an 8 base, 4 deep unit wants to wheel without using movement trays the front rank moves as far as it wants and the following ranks simply wheel at the same corner as the first rank and follow along. Of course, this could lead to the unit ending in a kinked column. With a 3" move the unit can wheel for 16mm, then advance the remaining 60mm (the unit's base depth) and there will be no kinked column. But wheel more than 16mm and there will be. Note, with a 4" move a unit can wheel up to 41mm without becoming kinked.

Not a problem everyone's going to face but this might be helpful if you're into movement trays...

philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Re: Problems with movement trays...

Post by philqw78 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:40 am

Only columns become kinked, any bg 2 or more bases wide does not
phil
putting the arg into argumentative

philqw78

Post by philqw78 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:41 am

Also units wheeling shift so they fit
phil

ChrisTofalos

Post by ChrisTofalos » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:07 am

So is there a way a contiguous line of, say, 6 8-base pike units can wheel individually?

philqw78

Post by philqw78 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:48 pm

Providing they shift no more than half a base
phil

Return to “Rules Questions”