MAXIMA AND MINIMA

This forum is for any questions about the rules. Post here is you need feedback from the design team.

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

TERRYFROMSPOKANE
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

MAXIMA AND MINIMA

Post by TERRYFROMSPOKANE »

The Ancient Spanish army list on page 123 of Book 1 says an Iberian army may have 0-24 Mercenary Celtiberian Heavy Foot. The army list also says Spanish armies may have a Celtiberian ally of 0-32 Scutarii which are also Heavy Foot. Are these two to be treated as the same "troops" for maxima and minima purposes? If so, does this mean an Iberian army is limited to 24 Celtiberian Heavy Foot between the Merenaries and the allies?

Thanks, Terry G.
philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Re: MAXIMA AND MINIMA

Post by philqw78 »

IMO you can have ally Celtiberians with upto 32 under an ally general and the 24 mercenaries under a non-allied general
Strangely the mercenary (nor allied) celtiberians cannot be superior. Again IMO wrong as they were considered better by their contemporaries

PS Apparently I have to say 'In my opinion' now even though it would be fact if I was checking the list
phil
putting the arg into argumentative, except for the lists I check where there is no argument!
paullongmore
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by paullongmore »

A celtiberian ally would have 6 -16 caetrati and 12 - 32 scutarii.

For an iberian main list it's easy the number taken as allies are subtracted from the max and min caetrati and scutarii in the main list. The mercenery celtiberians are unaffected.

For a lusitanian main list it's more nuanced as there are no scutarii. I personally think that the most sensible thing would be to subtract the number of ally scutarii from the max and min of heavy caetrati. Others (Mr Ruddock) might argue that the max and min heavy caetrati in the main list are unaffected. The mercenery celtiberians are unaffected.

So I agree with Phil that you can have 32 ally celtiberians and 24 mercenary ones.
berthier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by berthier »

Mercenary Celtiberians are an optional troop for the main list and are not available to any ally.
Christopher Anders
2023-2024 GCC Coordinator
http://bloodsandsteel.blogspot.com
philqw78

Post by philqw78 »

berthier wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:38 am Mercenary Celtiberians are an optional troop for the main list and are not available to any ally.
So they could not be part of an allied command.
But if you are Iberian or Lusitanian you can have 24 under cinc or sub command and 32 under an allied celtiberian
phil
putting the arg into argumentative, except for the lists I check where there is no argument!
berthier

Post by berthier »

Terry's original question was "Are these two to be treated as the same "troops" for maxima and minima purposes?" which is what I was answering. They do not.
Christopher Anders
philqw78

Post by philqw78 »

Ah, misunderstood
phil
berthier

Post by berthier »

No worries.
Christopher Anders

Return to “Rules Questions”