Sengoku Jidai - 2021 team event - The Emperor's Throne - Debriefing

ahuyton
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Sengoku Jidai - 2021 team event - The Emperor's Throne - Debriefing

Post by ahuyton »

Our third SJ team event comes to a close and I hope everyone enjoyed it. I would appreciate your comments and thoughts:

- What did you enjoy about the event?
- What could we do better? What lessons for the next event?
- Any further comments on the format, match-ups etc?
- Any preferences for the next one?
GentlemanRanker
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: Sengoku Jidai - 2021 team event - The Emperor's Throne - Debriefing

Post by GentlemanRanker »

Thank you Alan, your tactful patience in organising these events, and keeping the flame alive for this wonderful game, is much appreciated. Thanks are also due to the team captains for trying out, and helping select, the proposed matchups. I only hope that other Sengoku Jidai playeers reading this thread will be encouraged to come and join the fun, and participate in the next event.

I enjoyed the historical theme of this event, and the idea of switching between factions depending on the result of the precious round. Another possibility might be to have the teams play a series of pseudo-mirror matches, more in the style of a Slitherine tournament.

For a future event, I would like to suggest a historical sweep through warfare on the Japanese mainland. Starting with the Gempei War, then sampling a series of Akai vs Aoi matchups from the default Sengoku Jidai campaign, from before 1530, to post 1604 - possibly incorporating one or more of the historical scenarios .

For those who would like to get a flavour of the multiplayer Sengoku Jidai experience, check out some of the games posted to SnuggleBunies’ YouTube video channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6 ... xLg/videos

Nick
SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

I had a grand time Alan, thank you as always. I'm happy with the more laid back format of the game, and I don't mind the occasional unbalanced match. I get enough stressful competition in the Digital League!

A sweep through Japanese history would be great. Can I suggest that you take a look at Paul's Gempei mod? I got it uploaded as an MP module recently, and it plays very differently from the Gempei Kassen DLC.
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
pompeytheflatulent
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by pompeytheflatulent »

Thanks for hosting the event! I had a lot of fun, plus it inspired me to read up on some of the historical background.
ahuyton

Post by ahuyton »

Thanks for the various comments and I am happy to hear that many enjoyed the games and the history.

SJ is an excellent system and I think we could follow Snuggles's suggestion of a Japanese theme. I will try to put something together and propose it.
KiwiWarlord
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by KiwiWarlord »

ahuyton wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:21 am Our third SJ team event comes to a close and I hope everyone enjoyed it. I would appreciate your comments and thoughts:

- What did you enjoy about the event?
- What could we do better? What lessons for the next event?
- Any further comments on the format, match-ups etc?
- Any preferences for the next one?
Many Thanks Alan for another well run and organised Event, thanks to Nick for anointing me Emperor :D

I enjoy the historical themes being incorporated into these Events

I don't know how you sort out who is in which team or how you sort the draws for each round but what ever you do seems to work out in an unbiased way.

One thing I would like to see is more players getting involved so maybe allow more time before the close off.

The Japanese theme looks good, I like Nick's idea of playing through a timeline from early 1500s onwards. Looks like 6 + games could be on the cards.
Maybe the Event could be based around who becomes the Shogun ?
Definitely in favour of Historical Scenarios being included even if they are a little out of balance.

I personally do not like 'mirror' games being part of these events as this is not a 'full on' Slitherine Tournament.

Thanks again Alan.
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

Thanks Alan. Such fun! Thanks team for your dedication to the cause. The only problem I had was trying to keep up with all the Qing's and Qwangs and the Mings and Mongs. Sometimes, I just lost what side of the scenario I was on, or how it related to the previous one...maybe that's age related! Time for another whiskey hic!
AlexDetrojan
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by AlexDetrojan »

As a newbie, I had a lot of fun. Got throttled quite a bit, but was happy to play.
Cheers
KiwiWarlord

Post by KiwiWarlord »

Any news on the next Event Alan ?
I appreciate that you are up to your eyeballs with P&S at the moment but even a call for interest would maybe get some names on the board.
Th30n
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Th30n »

I'm completely new (picked up the game last month), but I'd be down for a tournament!
ahuyton

Post by ahuyton »

Th30n wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:58 am I'm completely new (picked up the game last month), but I'd be down for a tournament!
Yes, you should join us. We are, if I may say so, a friendly group and you will be very welcome. I will make some suggestions in the next week or so. If in the meantime you would like a friendly game I am sure one of the chaps will join you. Just send a pm (you can see the user names in the previous threads).

Return to “Sengoku Jidai: Tournaments & Leagues”