2021 Mid-year team event - Back to Japan - Round 4

ahuyton
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

2021 Mid-year team event - Back to Japan - Round 4

Post by ahuyton »

The game for the last round will be:

Toyotomi 1604 onwards v Aoi 1604 onwards.
As usual: open battle, agricultural wide terrain, large armies

I suggest that Kiwiwarlord and his team stay with the Toyotomi. The match-ups will be as follows:

Kiwiwarlord v Gdod (l)
Fybyyn v ahuyton (w)
Carsomyr v Snugglebunnies (w)
GentlemanRanker v Th30n (l)
PeterthePainter v SMJohnso77 (l)

Kiwiwarlord's team to set up the games please.

I should add my thanks to Nick for his suggestion of a further game in the 'Three Unifiers' period. In the end, we decided to stay with the original programme but to stay with Japan for our New Year's SJ team event and develop an interesting set of battles then. This enables us to conclude this event this year.

As usual, in case of problems, no-shows, disappearing players etc please get in touch with me asap. I realise that real life can intervene so I will try to help you find a satisfactory solution and, most importantly, a good game.
Last edited by ahuyton on Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Re: 2021 Mid-year team event - Back to Japan - Round 4

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

Match up for Carsomyr, pw snuggles
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

ahuyton wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:55 pm

As usual, in case of problems, ... please get in touch with me asap. ...I will try to help you find a satisfactory solution...
Kiwiwarlord v Gdod
sneaky samurai.jpg
sneaky samurai.jpg (25.4 KiB) Viewed 1677 times
I can't seem to see the wood for the trees... all in Brian's deployment area I might add. I'm running out of scouts as I keep having to hang them for their incompetence. Any solution Alan? (I tried to start a fire to flush them out but the wood is very wet!...I think they've been using the forest for toileting for some time and really I'm scared to go in there)
ahuyton

Post by ahuyton »

Gavin, alas this falls outside of my competence, in all senses of the word. Best of luck!
GentlemanRanker
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by GentlemanRanker »

GentlemanRanker’s Toyotomi beat Th30n’s Aoi by 6% to 52%.

The battlefield had a lot of rough ground and woodland, and was bisected by a river with high ground on either side. Th30n selected a couple of extra cavalry units, but had difficulty in trying to get them across the river and in to action. The Aoi mounted a strong attack on their left wing, where their approach was covered by woodland, and there was more room to manoeuvre; but as Th30n mentioned in the in-game chat, a number of the resulting matchups ended up being less than ideal, with two units of yari samurai getting bogged down fighting inferior troops in woodland, while his unprotected sōhei tried to advance in the open under bow and cannon fire. The effect of the stream in reducing manoeuvrability caught out the Toyotomi general several times, as did troops being out of command as a consequence of being hurriedly redeployed to counter the Aoi assault - but that is how we learn. I shall look forward to the opportunity to review my mistakes when Th30n posts the game on YouTube. GG.
Th30n
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Th30n »

Here is the upload, HD version is still processing. This time the video is actually less than an hour in length :D

PeterThePainter
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by PeterThePainter »

PeterThePainter (Toyotomi) 22% routed beat SMJohnso77 (Aoi) 48% routed - Toyotomi victory.

At the beginning SMJohso77 voiced a dilemma we all face in these custom battles "Do you go for quality or quantity?" This is probably even more of an issue where the forces facing each other are essentially the same as is the case here, although I don't believe force selection played a part in this battle. Before the dispositions were revealed it was apparent that however we had resolved the dilemma we had come to similar conclusions, as we both had just under 12,000 troops on the battlefield, except we didn't!

There was a big forest on my right so that is where the Sohei and Later Ashigaru were going, the open ground was on my left was for the cavalry, of course as this is Sengoku Jidai, if you take this approach you have units outside the control of their commander. About 2,500 to 3,000 of the enemy were not visible at the start but there again I felt confident my opponent wouldn't have seen a similar number of my troops as they were in the woods. I edged forward on the left and centre and even more cautiously through the woods, the enemy stood on the far side of the paddy fields watching and waiting. Hang on I am playing SMJohso77 right? Something is wrong here! Perhaps those missing troops aren't in the woods perhaps they are about to appear on a flank any moment now. Time for me to get a move on. The cavalry surged forward on the left the rest of the line headed towards the enemy at full tilt. I could overlap the enemy on both flanks and I had superiority in cavalry and melee troops as the enemy had gone for more Later Teppo Ashigaru units and Heavy Samurai. On turn 7 the enemy flanking force arrived on my left but well behind the action which they never got to join. Meanwhile some of my cavalry got behind his right flank and whilst the melee infantry attacked from the front the cavalry attacked from the rear and the battle ended on turn 12 with his right flank overwhelmed by sheer numbers.

Well played SMJohso77 it is not easy when 25% of the forces never get to the fight.
KiwiWarlord
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by KiwiWarlord »

PeterThePainter wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:56 pm PeterThePainter (Toyotomi) 22% routed beat SMJohnso77 (Aoi) 48% routed - Toyotomi victory.
Well played SMJohso77 it is not easy when 25% of the forces never get to the fight.
Congratulations Diamyo Peter !
You did well not to Look a Gift Horse in the Mouth as many Samurai would not have twigged that there was no ambush !
Kampaku Toyotomi Hideyoshi
Celebrating the Victory of Diamyo Peter the Brightly Pained.jpg
Celebrating the Victory of Diamyo Peter the Brightly Pained.jpg (5.82 KiB) Viewed 1571 times
ahuyton

Post by ahuyton »

ahuyton, Aoi, (22%) won against Kiwiwarlord, Toyotomi, (55%)

A rare victory against the Daimyo, who kindly stood in for absent Fybyyn (unavoidable work commitments). We had very similar armies and spent the early turns manouevering into diagonal lines in pretty open territory. My cavalry General and his fellow horsemen managed to open up some flanks and the Toyotomi unaccountably, but luckily for me, disrupted at the sight of a couple of routed units. It is one of the oddities, or features, of the system that when you leave the straight lines and fight at an angle anything can and surely will happen, as was the case here. So a nice victory and, as always with Brian, a sporting opponent.
KiwiWarlord

Post by KiwiWarlord »

ahuyton wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:55 am ahuyton, Aoi, (22%) won against Kiwiwarlord, Toyotomi, (55%)
Alan played with much skill & finesse, the number of Flank Attacks he made upon my poorly lead Samurai warriors was mind boggling.
Near the end my traumatised warriors Disrupted as soon as an Aoi warrior looked at them !
Well deserved Victory Alan, my apologies to Fabian for leading his Samurai in the wrong direction !
KiwiWarlord

Post by KiwiWarlord »

Round 4 Result. KiwiWarlord, Toyotomi, ( 14% ) Defeats Gdod, Aoi, 40%

A big swirling battle of 'who can turn the enemies flank first' in a large forest.
Turns out that the Toyotomi were the more successful woodsmen.
Attachments
Back to Japan Round 4v Gavin.jpg
Back to Japan Round 4v Gavin.jpg (126.15 KiB) Viewed 1483 times
Th30n

Post by Th30n »

Nice going Ahuyton, you bring honor to Aoi clan!
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

Turns out that the Toyotomi were the more successful woodsmen.
To be fair the Toy moto's had been camped in the woods for some time within their deployment area, so we had to tread very wearily. Our history will show that it was the unseen dangers underfoot and the smell that drove our brave samurai away.
SnuggleBunnies

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

SnuggleBunnies (Aoi) defeats Carsomyr (Toyotomi) 42-5

Carsomyr was put in a tough position - he could either give up terrain and wait defensively for his flank march, or push forward and hope they showed up in time - but they didn't. Combined with Aoi maneuvering to the left to gain a downslope advantage, the odds were against the Toyotomi this day.
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
Th30n

Post by Th30n »

Excellent, nice victory to bring a satisfying closure to the overall loss of our team. I'm looking forward to another team event! :D
ahuyton

Post by ahuyton »

Th30n wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:42 pm Excellent, nice victory to bring a satisfying closure to the overall loss of our team. I'm looking forward to another team event! :D
Good, this is definitely one of my favourite games and we have found a nice format. So I am sure we can play again after Christmas.

For the moment, Kiwiwarlord and his devoted followers register yet another victory - 3:2 - but the key thing is that we had some good games.

What would people like to do next? I think Nick would like to stay in Japan and that is fine with me, but happy to hear other preferences. We can in the meantime play some friendlies and practice games.
KiwiWarlord

Post by KiwiWarlord »

ahuyton wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:49 pm For the moment, Kiwiwarlord and his devoted followers register yet another victory - 3:2 - but the key thing is that we had some good games.
A BIG ' Thank You ' to Alan for all his time & effort spent organising and running these Events over the last year.
Your system of Team Events based on Historical Timelines works very well Alan, we are all most grateful being a part of it, enjoying the fun of the games & the banter !
Thanks again from Team Kiwi :D

Well done Toyotomi ! The Shogunate is secure ! Peace reins in the Land of the Samurai !
The Shogun welcomes all of Team Kiwi back in the New Year to maintain the peace of the Shogunate.
Many thanks to Carsomyr,Fybyyn,GentlemanRanker & Peter the Painter for your efforts over the last five months to bring peace to Japan.
I hope that we can continue as a team in the New Year.
Brian ( Kiwiwarlord )
Attachments
Team Kiwi.jpg
Team Kiwi.jpg (90.41 KiB) Viewed 1371 times
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

Well done to Kiwiwarlord and his devoted followers for yet another victory. While we may bow down to our new overlords rest assured there is already widespread grumbling about the harsh taxes imposed and confiscation of land.

Also, thanks once again to Alan for all his hard work, and who knows maybe Korea will be the new light for dissidents next year. A merry Xmas to you all and I'm sure we can fit in some holiday friendlies sometime over the summer holidays.
beautiful job Alan.gif
beautiful job Alan.gif (35.31 KiB) Viewed 1332 times

Return to “Sengoku Jidai: Tournaments & Leagues”