2019 Team event - bringing it to a close

ahuyton
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

2019 Team event - bringing it to a close

Post by ahuyton »

I see that all the Round 2 games are complete, except for those involving Pixel. I assume that Pixel is having some sort of difficulty in finding time for his games (and there is still one of his Round 1 games outstanding Ithink). However, it is very difficult for his opponents to keep focused on a game where there is only one turn every three weeks or so, therefore unless anybody objects I will bring the event to a close. I will declare Pixel's games a draw.

It has been a lot of fun and the games were very enjoyable.

What did you think?

If we run a new event in January, what should we do? Periods, armies, format?

Oh and by the way, as I will announce in another post, well done to the fearless invaders (SB, Fikabo and GentlemanRanker) for their very clear victory. Commiserations to our esteemed Ming Emperor, Kiwiwarlord and his valiant subjects, Eobrian2, LFDLM and myself.
GentlemanRanker
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: 2019 Team event - bringing it to a close

Post by GentlemanRanker »

Thank you Alan for your patient commitment to running this tournament, it sends out the message that there is still an enthusiastic community of players for SJ - a worthwhile aim.

Speaking for myself, I found the tournament friendly and relaxed, and a good introduction to Sengoku Jidai multiplayer gaming. That being said, I have been thrashed in six out of the eight games, with somewhat fortuitous wins in the other two, so all credit in the Anti-Ming team must go to SnuggleBunnies and fikabo . I certainly hope to continue playing SJ and P&S, and possibly even FoG2 too, with my new found contacts.

As for the next tournament, I leave will it to those with more experience of the game to suggest the most interesting matchups; however, I will note that the Gempei Wars, the Mongol Invasion of Japan and the Samurai Invasion of Korea have all yet to be covered. Whatever is decide, I will be in.
SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

I enjoyed both the Sengoku and Mandate tournies. If we wanted a more 'scientific' tourney we could have each team play one army for one round, and then switch for round two (say, team 1 plays Joseon, team 2 plays Japanese for round 1, then switch); or, we could just do Sengoku Red vs Blue (Aoi vs Akai) battles.

I personally enjoy the slightly later period battles more, in which there are lots of guns, as I get my Medieval fix from FoG2 right now, but am open to anything.
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
fikabo
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by fikabo »

I enjoy tournament too, thanks Alan for organisation.
I have very poor knowledge of Asia history and wars so can not say anything of period and armies.
Format: Not very large map/army. This map is big enough I think.
I have idea (not sure if good) that maybe in one turn opponents choose army which to play (so probably will be battles of the weakest).
KiwiWarlord
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by KiwiWarlord »

Suggestion for the team Leaders in 2020 based on the tradition set from 2018 onwards where I was the highest scorer & SnuggleBunnies was 2nd highest, Alan appointed us as Team Leaders for 2019.
I would suggest that SnuggleBunnies & Fikabo ( must be the highest scorers in this year's Team Event ) be appointed Team Leaders for 2020 ( assuming they play ) with the 3rd ranked player of 2019 as back-up.
SnuggleBunnies

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

A good suggestion, as fikabo thoroughly outplayed me in the latest round of the official FoG2 tournament
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
LFDLM
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by LFDLM »

Why not a Gempei Kassen tournament ? The armies are balanced, there can be no big surprises, the terrain cannot favour one side or the other excessively and the period is very interesting.

BTW, the SB idea of "Red vs Blue" is very good too.
ahuyton

Post by ahuyton »

Thanks to everyone for the comments and suggestions. I think this 'Event' is a lot of fun so I hope that we can continue next year. So far we have three suggestions
- Gempei Kampen
- Invasions
- Samurai battles

All three sound good to me, but let's continue with the friendly games and then decide on the theme in the New Year.
fikabo
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by fikabo »

SnuggleBunnies wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:54 pm A good suggestion, as fikabo thoroughly outplayed me in the latest round of the official FoG2 tournament
It was one game and I also remember my first tournament and two very high my looses (11:62, 5:52). But these games taught me a lot.

I can be captain. I will try help with some general skill, choosing right army is outside my knowledge.

Return to “Sengoku Jidai: Tournaments & Leagues”