Level of complexity vs BA2

There is no peace among the stars: the Imperium of Man is beset on all sides by all kinds of threats. Among them is the Orks, a barbaric and warlike xeno race. One of their fiercest leaders, Grukk Face-Rippa, leads his Red Waaagh! in the Sanctus Reach system...
SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Level of complexity vs BA2

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

How much depth is there to this game compared to Battle Academy 2? I found myself wishing for a little more complexity from that title, but found it very addicting nonetheless. Is Sanctus Reach comparable?
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Re: Level of complexity vs BA2

Post by zakblood »

to me as a player and not a mod, it's the same with a different skin, so yes just as good
Screen_00000000.jpg
Screen_00000000.jpg (789.27 KiB) Viewed 1693 times
zone control and reaction fire makes kill zone and facing a really tactical game imo, so map view and planning is key to keeping your core force in once piece as you raise the units exp per battle
HeinzHarald
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by HeinzHarald »

Haven't played more than a few hours, but so far to me there are three main differences that I really like.
1) One side is quite a bit stronger and the other more numerous which leads to battles that are more push and pull than BA.
2) The Pike & Shot like melee in addition to the BA like shooting mixes things up and adds an interesting tactical element to the game.
3) Most of the cover you can shoot over and also flank which makes it less cat and mouse and more fluid.

Compared to BA and WWII the game is more "storm the beach" or "hold the hill" than "clear the town". I really like this, it hits a perfect sweet spot between BA and P&S in my opinion. Though battles still tend to take a bit too long to complete for my tastes which has always been the one drawback of this game engine (all iterations of it). But at least you can save mid battle.

Edit: well another drawback of the game engine is that it's too resource intensive. Even just reaching the main menu the fan in my laptop goes full blast (and that's using low res and no AA).
Rosseau
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Rosseau »

That's why I play games on an i7 desktop with lots of RAM and a decent video card. This is not a processor intensive game - I don't think?

You are exactly right how it is not the "clear the town" aspect of BA2. It is often a mindless Orc horde just running at you. In BA2, there is tension and I really have to work to beat that ambushing AI. Here, I am only fighting against greater forces, so a lot of the subtle strategy is gone. Definitely, a "lighter" game than BA2, which is lighter than other wargames.

Just my warped opinion. Wonder what others think?
HeinzHarald
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by HeinzHarald »

I'd agree that it feels lighter, but I don't feel there's less strategy. It's more of a smorgasbord of strategy than a set course of meals. I do think there will be a bigger difference in challenge between playing the AI and playing multiplayer than there was in BA though since dealing with a smorgasbord is a harder for the AI.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Yep, multiplayer is a different ballgame for sure. I just don't have the time, but had some great MP games with the BA series.

Return to “Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach”