Fatal Application Exit

A_Wal_
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: Fatal Application Exit

Post by A_Wal_ » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:07 pm

Cheers Pip, I'll look into SetIconPriority this evening.

Yes it does suffer from a mismatch in the replays unfortunately. It's difficult to pin down because for one thing I haven't looked into how replays are handled at all and also it's hard to spot unless it's something obvious.

I can only really give you the two recent obvious examples to go on.
I was testing attackVO sounds by shooting at a morkanaut with astra units, it was alive at the end of the turn. On the ork's turn the gork died and there was still another unit left to shoot, they shot at the empty tile where the gork was, something you can't actually choose to do in the game.
The second example was the opposite, a unit died but on the reply it survived. This one has happened to me in a standard online skirmish as well. I wonder what would have happened if I'd moved a unit onto that tile?

A_Wal_
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by A_Wal_ » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:53 pm

SetIconPriority worked, cheers. :)
Just tying up a few loose ends now, should be ready in the next couple of days.

A_Wal_
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by A_Wal_ » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:28 pm

Not sure if this is related but the timing of vizdelays is off as well, they last longer during the actual turn than they do in the replays. Maybe that helps to narrow down the problem.

pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:50 pm

A_Wal_ wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:28 pm
Not sure if this is related but the timing of vizdelays is off as well, they last longer during the actual turn than they do in the replays. Maybe that helps to narrow down the problem.
This would usually be because the replay is sped up when nothing is actually moving or doing something, but I will keep it in mind.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here

A_Wal_
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by A_Wal_ » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:59 pm

Right but a vizdelays do kick in during the replays as well so the tick rates must be slightly different because they're between two events that should have no delay in either case and because randoms are always (as far as know) done by by using a timer that might explain why different damage values are being generated, or not. Just a thought.

pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:09 pm

A_Wal_ wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:59 pm
Right but a vizdelays do kick in during the replays as well so the tick rates must be slightly different because they're between two events that should have no delay in either case and because randoms are always (as far as know) done by by using a timer that might explain why different damage values are being generated, or not. Just a thought.
The rate that the ticks are replayed does indeed change, but the number of model ticks remains the same. The random values are consistent so long as the rands are called in the same order (they are not time based). If you can give me specifics of something that seems to be wrong to you I can check it out, but the system will definitely play out some things at different realtime rates even when they are ticking the model the same number of times.

Cheers

Pip

A_Wal_
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by A_Wal_ » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:25 pm

I've been keeping an eye on it and the damage values have been correct on the replays so I think it's quite rare but it definitely can and does occasionally happen.
In the example with the gorkanaut it survived the first time through but on the replay not only did it die but the wreck was also destroyed and there was still another unit left to shoot it so when it does go wrong it can be quite drastic.
I doubt this has anything to do with it but sfxrands are often different on the replay. Obviously this doesn't really matter but it's another example of 'random' outcomes changing.

A_Wal_
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by A_Wal_ » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:41 pm

It just happened again. Krom killed a supa kannon on the replay that survived the first time. The terminators that attacked it twice after that didn't attack this time on the replay because they were melee attacks. If they'd shot instead then they would have shot in the replay as well and presumably damaged the wreck.

A_Wal_
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by A_Wal_ » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:42 pm

I am messing around with the timings of vizdelays but going by this...
pipfromslitherine wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:09 pm
The random values are consistent so long as the rands are called in the same order (they are not time based).
...that shouldn't matter.

I might have actually been doing vizdelay timings the last time it happened as well now I think of it, I forgot I was playing around with that before. If that is what's causing the mismatch sorry for wasting for time, you'll forgive me when you see how much I've done for the mod. :)

I've been tying up loose ends all day so it should hopefully be ready tomorrow.

A_Wal_
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by A_Wal_ » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:07 pm

I think that fatal application error is because of my connection, it happened again when it was really slow so that's good. Not sure what's going on with the replays changing the damages done, I thought it might be because of timings but from what you've said it should be. It has happened on a regular game but that was ages ago.

I uploaded it. It's a bit quiet here, maybe you could email everybody who has the game to let them know. :) I'm really hoping you could turn this into a patch. It's not SP compatible currently but you could copy the original versions of the files I've edited into the SP campaign folders and use the edited one as the core folders so they work for standard mp skirmishes.

Here's an edited version of the daemon forces for the ArmyList file:

Code: Select all

[DAEMONHOST]

SIDE Goffs
NAME IDS_ARMY_DAEMONHOST
NATION 3

Bloodletter 12
Demonette 12
Soulgrinder 1
Plaguebearer 12
HeraldOfNurgle 3
PinkHorrors 12
HeraldOfTzeentch 2
Screamers 12
FiendOfSlannesh 4
ChaosSpawn1 4
SlanneshSpawn 4
NurgleSpawn 4
PlagueDrone 8
Bloodcrusher 8
HeraldOfKhorne 3
LordOfSkulls 2
Seeker 12
Flamers 12
SoulgrinderAlt 1
Skulltaker 2
SoulgrinderSlannesh 2
SoulgrinderNurgle 2
TzeentchKnight 1
SlanneshKnight 1
NurgleKnight 1

[VENGEFULHOST]

SIDE Goffs
NAME IDS_ARMY_VENGEFULHOST
NATION 3

Bloodletter 12
Demonette 6
Soulgrinder 1
Plaguebearer 2
HeraldOfNurgle 1
PinkHorrors 2
HeraldOfTzeentch 1
Screamers 4
FiendOfSlannesh 1
ChaosSpawn1 3
SlanneshSpawn 3
NurgleSpawn 3
PlagueDrone 2
Bloodcrusher 8
HeraldOfKhorne 6
LordOfSkulls 2
Seeker 2
Flamers 2
SoulgrinderAlt 2
Skulltaker 3
SoulgrinderSlannesh 1
SoulgrinderNurgle 1
TzeentchKnight 1
SlanneshKnight 1
NurgleKnight 1

[BEDLAMSTORM]

SIDE Goffs
NAME IDS_ARMY_BEDLAMSTORM
NATION 3

Bloodletter 2
Demonette 2
Soulgrinder 2
Plaguebearer 2
HeraldOfNurgle 1
PinkHorrors 12
HeraldOfTzeentch 3
Screamers 12
FiendOfSlannesh 1
ChaosSpawn1 3
SlanneshSpawn 3
NurgleSpawn 3
PlagueDrone 2
Bloodcrusher 2
HeraldOfKhorne 1
LordOfSkulls 1
Seeker 2
Flamers 12
SoulgrinderAlt 1
Skulltaker 1
SoulgrinderSlannesh 1
SoulgrinderNurgle 1
TzeentchKnight 1
SlanneshKnight 1
NurgleKnight 1

[SORROWBORN]

SIDE Goffs
NAME IDS_ARMY_SORROWBORN
NATION 3

Bloodletter 2
Demonette 6
Soulgrinder 1
Plaguebearer 12
HeraldOfNurgle 6
PinkHorrors 2
HeraldOfTzeentch 1
Screamers 4
FiendOfSlannesh 1
ChaosSpawn1 3
SlanneshSpawn 3
NurgleSpawn 3
PlagueDrone 12
Bloodcrusher 2
HeraldOfKhorne 1
LordOfSkulls 1
Seeker 2
Flamers 2
SoulgrinderAlt 1
Skulltaker 1
SoulgrinderSlannesh 1
SoulgrinderNurgle 1
TzeentchKnight 1
SlanneshKnight 1
NurgleKnight 1

[DAEMONSRANDOM]

SIDE Goffs
NAME IDS_ARMY_DAEMONSRANDOM
NATION 3

Bloodletter 24
Demonette 24
Soulgrinder 4
Plaguebearer 24
HeraldOfNurgle 8
PinkHorrors 24
HeraldOfTzeentch 8
Screamers 24
FiendOfSlannesh 8
ChaosSpawn1 6
SlanneshSpawn 6
NurgleSpawn 6
PlagueDrone 18
Bloodcrusher 18
HeraldOfKhorne 8
LordOfSkulls 4
Seeker 24
Flamers 18
SoulgrinderAlt 4
Skulltaker 4
SoulgrinderSlannesh 4
SoulgrinderNurgle 4
TzeentchKnight 2
SlanneshKnight 2
NurgleKnight 2
It doesn't increase the number of soulgrinders available, it just adds variety with each one appearing the same value of times in total. There's a few issues I haven't fixed that would be good if they were for the patch, some are really simple:-
  • Those old MP maps still only let one side deploy, that's definitely not how they were designed.

The difficulty setting doesn't get remembered, I had to keep putting it back on grim darkness during SP.

Sandbox is broken with orks, you can stack the waaagh ability with as many warbosses as you like and move to anywhere on the map. I think special individual characters should still be limited to one.

I edited the weapon name texts for the box that appears when you select a unit but the i box weapon texts and on the mission select screen are controlled by files in the UI folder and when I edited them copying the file structure the edits didn't apply, or some other folders I tried. This was for things like ritual knife being listed for the Tzeentch herald and claw for the pink horrors despite neither having melee attacks and a couple of wrong weapons listed.

Painboys and Hengist play the wrong melee sounds, painboys make the choppa sound instead of a power klaw and Hengist makes a power fist sound instead of an axe. I think these are called from the anim files which I don't have access to. I was able to give Ragnar a chainsword sound, at least on he first swing.

The painboy's heal sometimes make the game lock for a few minutes, I thought the game had locked completely but it does fix itself eventually. Once this happens I think it happens every time you heal with him.

Should Ragnar be unpinnable? It says that's one of the effects of his cloak but he is definitely pinnable in melee.

Ragnar's movement buff doesn't work all the time, I think it's when there's over a certain number of units in range.

Missile launchers act strangely on their first shot, the camera snaps to the target very quickly and I don't think projectiles are even spawned.

The out of actions icon doesn't appear a lot of the time, I think this might be an MP only issue.

This one isn't so much a bug but it's annoying. When you attack a big target you don't friendly fire units between you but if you destroy the target during shooting the remaining shots can tear through your own units.

pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:54 pm

Thanks for all your hard work. Once you have gotten some testing from players I am happy to look at pushing the mod to the official download list, or perhaps even (as you say) trying to integrate into a patch, time permitting.

Cheers

Pip

A_Wal_
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by A_Wal_ » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:11 pm

No problem, I enjoy doing something creative like this and coding is something I've taught myself. This is only the second game I've even seen the code for.

Now it just needs people to know it's here, I'm sure there are quite a few players who haven't been playing recently who would come back if they knew it was here as well. Maybe It could be put on the announcements section of the site?

I'd love to see it turned into a patch for the main game. It shouldn't be hard to do, like I say just a case of copying the original versions of the files I've edited into the sp campaign folders. They're only text files so space shouldn't be an issue.

I'd like to make it compatible with sp as well, maybe even with a new or edited sp campaign. I'm not sure if I'll do that first or add chaos marines to make a new interesting faction that could be expanded to have a faction for each god.

Cheers for your help answering my questions along the way.

Edit:
I actually have been testing it with a couple of people as I was making it. Obviously that test version didn't have as much as the version that's up now but I've been testing a lot myself and there shouldn't be many issues, if any.

pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:11 pm

I think it might be worth discussing this in more depth. I will PM you.

Cheers

Pip

Return to “Sanctus Reach Tech Support”