File/Folder Setup For MP Campaign And Global Mod

A_Wal_
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

File/Folder Setup For MP Campaign And Global Mod

Post by A_Wal_ »

This might seem very basic, I'm hoping it is and I'm just missing something simple. I put this off when I couldn't get it working to start with so I could get more familiar with the file structure and refresh my modding mind a bit but I still can't get it to work.

I've been doing my file editing in 'This PC > Documents > My Games > SANCTUS > MULTIPLAYER > MYCAMPAIGN > Data > Etc...' but I've had to edit the base game folder's Squads.cvs file as well as the string files in the text folder and anything in the core folder because they don't take priority over the base files.

I tried putting the files in MYCAMPAIGN in a SANCTUS_MP folder, so 'This PC > Documents > My Games > SANCTUS > MULTIPLAYER > SANCTUS_MP > Data > Etc...' but that didn't work either.

If I could get a global mod working that would be ideal but I've had no luck getting the edited Squads.cvs to work from a mod folder either. The mod folder's name shows up in the box at the top right on the menu screen but selecting it doesn't allow its Squads.cvs to be used.

I've tried 'This PC > Documents > My Games > SANCTUS > MODS > MYMOD > Data > Etc...' and 'This PC > Documents > My Games > SANCTUS > MODS > MYMOD > Warhammer 40000 Sanctus Reach > Data > Etc...' but neither worked.

Folder names aren't case sensitive are they? I don't think so.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: File/Folder Setup For MP Campaign And Global Mod

Post by pipfromslitherine »

The folder structure for custom campaigns isn't identical to the main folder structure for historical reasons. It is described here:

http://www.slitherinebravo.net/GameWiki ... der_layout
http://archonwiki.slitherine.com/index.php/Modding

Globals mods are slightly different (frustratingly, I appreciate).

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
A_Wal_
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by A_Wal_ »

Ah, so basically if the file isn't taking priority over the main files then that file or folder needs to go in the rout of the campaign folder. Hopefully that works with files from the core folder as well.

One worrying thing is that I have the sfx files in the right place but when I copy the sfx0 into the data folder of my campaign all the snds override the ones in the sfx1 file even if that's copied over too. This is actually a problem with some of the sounds in the main game, some of the astra unit's death sounds are calling the ork bike, buggy and kopter snds from the sfx0 file instead of using sfx1. Hopefully I can find a work around.

Cheers Pip.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

It will generally only work with the files noted. The CORE folder files are not intended to be overridden.

Cheers

Pip
A_Wal_
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by A_Wal_ »

That means the ability allocation and force lists for random skirmishes can't be edited, at least not directly.

Maybe it's possible to script around it. One for later.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

IIRC those files attempt to read from the local folder first and then fall back to CORE, allowing them to be replaced.

Cheers

Pip
A_Wal_
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by A_Wal_ »

Ah okay, great. Where do they go in the local folder though? I'll try rout of my campaign folder, that seems to be where files go when it's not a mirror of the base folder structure.
A_Wal_
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by A_Wal_ »

I tried the brute force approach and copied the files both inside and outside of a created 'Core' folder into every folder in My Games > SANCTUS but no joy.

I even tried in AppData > Local in case you literally meant the 'local' folder.

I'm ready to test this with somebody in a MP game but I don't want them to have to replace Core files and put them back again after every time they take a turn.

I've had no luck getting an global mod to run for some reason. The mod folder names shows up in the top right of the menu screen but selecting it seems not to use any of its files, even edited files from the DATA folder. Not sure if edited core files can be used from a mod anyway.
A_Wal_
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by A_Wal_ »

I managed to find a way around the problem of not being able to edit core files, make new core files.

For example in AbilityHelpers.BSF there's: StartFile = FromFileOpen("#Sanctus_Wolves_Abilities");

Make a new file for the core folder, so: StartFile = FromFileOpen("#Sanctus_Wolves_Abilities_New");

That way you're adding rather than editing so it doesn't flag that you're using edited files in MP games.

I'm in the middle of testing my edited MP maps with someone at the moment, I'll release it soon with bug fixes and the new units for standard MP skirmishes.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Glad you are managing to make progress!

Cheers

Pip

Return to “Sanctus Reach Tech Support”