Unable to play game due to severe access violation bug

Twinston
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Unable to play game due to severe access violation bug

Post by Twinston »

Hello Every Single Soldier & Co.

thanks for creating this innovative game.
Unfortunately I am not yet able to enjoy the game due to a major bug.
Installed version is 1.07, the game starts OK to the point where I start either Skirmish or Campaign.
After the initial info screen, the games always keeps crashing while loading the map.

What happens is a memory access violation at "ERROR: SymGetSymFromAddr64" while failing to initialize Render texture / Vertex Shader / Vertex buffer.

I am attaching the usually requested dxdiag and output_log files, plus error.log for your enlightenment.
Being a software developper myself, I am trying to give you the best possible info to enable you to research and eventually fix this problem.
Altough, once in game, a stable experience and the coming of "convoy" feature will be highly appreciated,
I am kindly asking you to investigate this issue with priority,
as the observed problem prevents a significant group of users from even entering the game at all.

My observation is that my problem is very similar to the ones posted here, notably
1. mikelees "Afghanistan crashes in the middle of load", http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 63&t=77032
2. seniorgary "game play menu" , http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... a338789c2b
3. chats1012 "Afghanistan crashes in the middle of load", http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... a338789c2b
So any solution is also likely to resolve these other reports.

Out of these (my and 3 other) reports, the common theme is
- relatively old "2011-ish" "low performance" Intel CPU (2xi3, 1xi5, 1xPentium)
- 64bit operating system (1xWin7, 1xWin8, 2xWin10)
- intel HD Graphics chip (3x, as opposed to 1xATI Radeon)
- failure of unity environment to initialize 3D graphics, creating access violation (2xconfirmed, 2xoutput log incomplete)

Actions I tried so far (to no avail)
- check versus A11 min spec (ironically not given in game manual but only online) - compliance confirmed
- install in nonstandard directory (C:/Games)
- reduce in-game graphics to minimum (lowest resolution, lowest quality)
- alternate install in Win8-64 vs Win7-32
- update to latest HD Graphics driver (my "first generation" i5 M520 is only supported up to 8.15.10.2900 "2013 vintage" driver,
which is not fully Win8 (DX11) compliant but fully supports DX10 or "Feature Level 10", still sufficient vs A11 spec.
chats1012 dirver is even older while mikelees and seniorgary's drivers are significantly newer and still have the problem.)
- confirmed all latest Windows updates installed
- re-installed latest DX9 as fallback
- ensured plentiful availability of virtual memory (8+GB page file size; my SSD does not "like" paging as available 8GB RAM is already plenty;
nevertheless I activated paging for test - to no avail.)
- temporarily deactivated my Windows Defender + Firewall (internet unplugged too :-))
- checked unity website for compatibility. Unlike the opinion raised by VPaulus (incompatibility of unity vs Intel Graphics),
unity in itself is broadly compatible with any "post 2004" (and confirmedly my specific) hardware. Depending on what the gaming programmer does, a HD Graphics chip older
than HD4000 can result in poor experience (low framerate) but should not crash the game.

Running out of options now, not knowing what else to do, and seeking your assistance.

Minor observation, the crash itself behaves slightly differently between Campaign and Skrimish, maybe depending on map size / amount of data. Attached files belong to a Skirmsih attempt, resulting in "proper" crash with complete output log, and timestamped data dump folder "properly" created in A11 directory. Campaign leads to an "earlier" crash with HD Graphics stepping out and resetting due to "a problem", resulting in incomplete/unfinished output log and no dump folder created.

Finally, I am concerned that error log file indicates
0 MB physical memory [0 MB free].
0 MB paging file [0 MB free].
0 MB user address space [3051 MB free].
Write to location 00000000 caused an access violation.

As if no physical or virtual memory exists at all, which certainly is not the situatiuon according to dxdiag.
Also, only 3GB address space, as if 32bit System, where as real system is 64bit (8++GB address space).
Location being 00000000 - so it appears no data at all were written, failure to assign the correct RAM pointer address
which is committed to something else.

Please note that integrated graphic chips (such as Intel HD) tend to use ordinary RAM committed for Video Memory.
Also I suppose A11 is programmed in C++ which involves explicit RAM address "pointering" prone to memory leaks and access violations.
Whioch is why I am myself completely committed to programming in "see sharp" which is much more convenient :-)

Please sort this out ASAP, I am happy to further cooperate and receive any further suggestions.
It may be helpful for you to reproduce the behavior locally, with a sufficiently old Intel Laptop PC.

kind regards, Roland a.k.a. Twinston
Attachments
Logfiles.zip
(26.49 KiB) Downloaded 163 times
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Re: Unable to play game due to severe access violation bug

Post by zakblood »

lets first take a look at your report and see what may be the issue with more details, as if it's hardware, then maybe there's not a lot we or i can do, but someone may have more of a solution for you once a report has at least a full spec sheet uploaded...

Could you please attach a DxDiag report file to your message / reply?

Please attach a DxDiag report fie.
How to get a DxDiag report file:

1. Click on "START" (on Windows 8/10 press “Windows key” and the “R” key at the same time)
2. Click "run" (skip this step on Windows 8/10)
3. Type in "dxdiag" and click "OK"
4. Check through the tabs and perform all tests
5. Click "Save all Information..." and save the text file to a location of your choice
6. Attach the file to your message
7, if your new and can't / don't have permission etc, then copy paste into a reply
Twinston

Post by Twinston »

Hi.

Everything is already uploaded. The previously attacvhed "Logfiles.zip" contains everything: DXDiag as well as output.log and error.log which is the most specific about the actual crash reason.

kind regards, take your time analyzing, and looking forward to your further suggestion.
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

"ERROR: SymGetSymFromAddr64" while failing to initialize Render texture / Vertex Shader / Vertex buffer", that means that the issue is related with your graphic chipset (Intel).
The game does run on Intel onboard graphics chipsets, but it seems that certain Intel cards are not able to support the Unity engine's shading.
However the developer has said that this is due to be updated by Unity shortly and once Unity is updated the developer will be updating the game with the latest version of Unity and this should fix the issue, but at this stage we do not yet have a time when this will be released.
I'm sorry for this.
Twinston

Post by Twinston »

Ok thanks for this so far.

best regards to "the developer" :-)
Twinston

Post by Twinston »

Hello dear support,

I was still hopin g for the Unity engine update mentioned, in order to run A11 on a somewhat mature intel graphics chip.

Is there any progress yet??

I wantz to try out hte MOAB too... :-)

kind regards!
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

as soon as it's done it will be announced, so no news as yet

Return to “Afghanistan '11: Tech Support”