A small thing I miss from Panzer General: the map/flags animation at the start of each scenario

A new story begins...
The sequel to a real classic: Panzer Corps is back!

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

smashtheaxis
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

A small thing I miss from Panzer General: the map/flags animation at the start of each scenario

Post by smashtheaxis »

In the original Panzer General/Allied General, every time you start a new scenario, be it a single scenario or a campaign scenario, you see a map of Europe with small flags of the nations involved in the scenario roughly positioned were their armies were standing and animated arrows depicting who attacks where/in which direction.

That really helped to give a feeling of location to the battle, something that I'm missing in PC2. In PC2, you only see a map when you have to choose between different branches of the campaign tree. Which happens quite often in the original campaign, but I'm playing the Spanish Civil War DLC at the moment, and most of the time I have no idea where I am geographically, unless I look up the cities of the scenario on Google Maps.

Maybe such an animation could be included in a future update without requiring too much work?
Retributarr
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Re: A small thing I miss from Panzer General: the map/flags animation at the start of each scenario

Post by Retributarr »

"smashtheaxis!"... your pointing out a missing-"Gem" from "the original Panzer General/Allied General"... regarding localization of the preceding stage of the 'Conflict-Zone'... with your worded passages....

"with small flags of the nations involved in the scenario roughly positioned were their armies were standing and animated arrows depicting who attacks where/in which direction".... "That really helped to give a feeling of location to the battle, something that I'm missing in PC2".

This is an important feature that is sadly missing in the Game!... and should be considered as a future 'Fix!'. I'm sure that the 'Developers' are quite busy... and may not be able to deal with this particular absent game amenity... but!... hopefully will be able to attend to it when there is time and the opportunity to do sol.

In the meantime... "smashtheaxis!"..."thanks!!!" for bringing to our attention... this "Glaring-Missing-Detail"... that is absent in PzC2!.
Mojko
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Re: A small thing I miss from Panzer General: the map/flags animation at the start of each scenario

Post by Mojko »

I would really like to see this feature getting added to the game. It doesn't need to be with animation though. I would be happy with a static map as well.
Author and maintainer of Unit Navigator Tool for Order Of Battle (http://mfendek.byethost16.com/)
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

Doesn't this appear whenever you make a branch decision?

I recall seeing it quite often during the later stages of the historical base campaign.
Kopernikus
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Kopernikus »

I would like to support that idea as well. I think it would help to put the individual scenario into the overall context of the campaign.
smashtheaxis

Post by smashtheaxis »

Kerensky wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:30 pm Doesn't this appear whenever you make a branch decision?
It does, and it looks great. :) But sometimes, there are many scenarios in a row without a branch decision. In SCW DLC, I think it's something like 4 or 5 scenarios before the first branching happens. So after the initial scenario (where you have the initial campaign map), I have no idea where I am geographically for several scenarios, until the branching happens.
smashtheaxis

Post by smashtheaxis »

Mojko wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:09 pm I would really like to see this feature getting added to the game. It doesn't need to be with animation though. I would be happy with a static map as well.
You are right, it doesn't have to be an animation, a static map like the branch decision maps would be great already.
nexusno2000
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by nexusno2000 »

Kerensky wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:30 pm Doesn't this appear whenever you make a branch decision?

I recall seeing it quite often during the later stages of the historical base campaign.
So maybe it can be made to work using a "branch" before every new scenario, but with only one option: Proceed?

I think I must test this.
Green Knight
https://www.youtube.com/c/GreenKnight2001
Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Tassadar »

Agreed - it would boost immersion and have some educational value showing where things happen not only when the scenario branches out, as it's done currenlty, but in each other instance as well.

Return to “Panzer Corps 2”