Historical Heroes in AO 1942

A new story begins...
The sequel to a real classic: Panzer Corps is back!

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

Gfot
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Historical Heroes in AO 1942

Post by Gfot »

One of the things I love in PzC are the historical heroes like Kersher, Bar etc. Haven't gotten through the 1942 DLC yet (I restarted from 1939 after the Steamroller changes), but I haven't read anything about similar heroes in this DLC (I understand you get a choice between two AA/AT heroes, and you can altso get Manstein's son if you pick the path that includes Lake Ladoga). Aren't there any historical unique heroes in this DLC? And if that's case, is that something that just happened, or a change in campaign design?
Last edited by Gfot on Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snake97644
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Re: Historical Heroes in AO 1942

Post by Snake97644 »

Gfot wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:01 pm One of the things I love in PzC are the historical heroes like Kersher, Bar etc. Haven't gotten through the 1942 DLC yet (I restarted from 1939 after the Steamroller changes), but I haven't read anything about similar heroes in this DLC (I understand you get a choice between two AA/AT heroes, and you can altso get Manstein's son if you pick the path that includes Lake Ladoga). Aren't there any in historical unique heroes in this DLC? And if that's case, is that something that just happened, or a change in campaign design?
Those are the only ones I recieved, however there is supposed to be an option to spend CP in the Streets of Stalingrad scenario, but nothing fired for me. Perhaps it is a bug and there's another hero, but it could just be equipment; or just a typo on the tree. :?
BaronVonKrieg
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by BaronVonKrieg »

Gfot wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:01 pm One of the things I love in PzC are the historical heroes like Kersher, Bar etc. Haven't gotten through the 1942 DLC yet (I restarted from 1939 after the Steamroller changes), but I haven't read anything about similar heroes in this DLC (I understand you get a choice between two AA/AT heroes, and you can altso get Manstein's son if you pick the path that includes Lake Ladoga). Aren't there any in historical unique heroes in this DLC? And if that's case, is that something that just happened, or a change in campaign design?
yup those are all youll get in this dlc unfortunatly
Panzer73
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by Panzer73 »

Snake97644 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:40 pm Those are the only ones I recieved, however there is supposed to be an option to spend CP in the Streets of Stalingrad scenario, but nothing fired for me. Perhaps it is a bug and there's another hero, but it could just be equipment; or just a typo on the tree. :?
Not a hero but 35 Tiger I prototypes, the regular ones - not the Porsche Tigers.
scorehouse
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by scorehouse »

AA/AT Hero choice? is the choice between 2 different Heroes or the different traits you can assign a Hero like with Rudel? regardless if you do get to choose, r them some different traits offered? what about with Manstein
Panzer73

Post by Panzer73 »

You are offered two heroes with fixed traits:
Karla Wuhrer has Rapid Fire 2x and Fast Learner (2x experience)
Karl Ullmann has Rapid Fire 2x and Learns from Mistakes (3x experience from losses).

You can get both, it seems there is a coding error in the LUA script for Cerberus. You only spend 2 CP instead of 3P that the narrative texts says the Fw190A and the Bf109Z should cost. If it is fixed in a patch, I would recommend skipping the PzIIIN reward in the Demyansk Pocket scenario to ensure you have enough CP for both heroes.
BaronVonKrieg
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by BaronVonKrieg »

where is my kurt knipsel herooooo :?: :?: :?: :?:
scorehouse

Post by scorehouse »

i thought the 109z was offered way back. 39/40? I skipped it on my next play thru, didn't see the value unless I should have put it in reserve for a future upgrade? like the Sturer. its easiy attacked and once it's used, its worthless or have I missed the boat on these?
PaxusZero

Post by PaxusZero »

The 109z is a fantastic TAc bomber. Especially given its amazing range.
scorehouse

Post by scorehouse »

maybe it becomes available in the 41?
VirgilInTheSKY
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by VirgilInTheSKY »

scorehouse wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:04 am i thought the 109z was offered way back. 39/40? I skipped it on my next play thru, didn't see the value unless I should have put it in reserve for a future upgrade? like the Sturer. its easiy attacked and once it's used, its worthless or have I missed the boat on these?
Bf 109Z shows up first in AO 41. They are the best fighter-bomber aircraft before you can get the regular Me 410, which comes up in 1943. All the Bf 110 variants are inferior than it with no exception.
Panzer73

Post by Panzer73 »

It is a very good unit, for both ground attack and plane hunting. Its major drawback is its initiative is only 1. But that can be fixed with a No Retaliation (offense only), 1st Strike (both offense and defense), or even a Superior Maneuver hero on it. With its 18 range, its effective initiative when engaging most fighters is 7 (1 + 6) if you are using a Superior Maneuver hero.
nexusno2000
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by nexusno2000 »

Panzer73 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:20 pm It is a very good unit, for both ground attack and plane hunting. Its major drawback is its initiative is only 1. But that can be fixed with a No Retaliation (offense only), 1st Strike (both offense and defense), or even a Superior Maneuver hero on it. With its 18 range, its effective initiative when engaging most fighters is 7 (1 + 6) if you are using a Superior Maneuver hero.
I second this. Superior Maneuver is pretty trash, but on the 109Z it's excellent
Green Knight
https://www.youtube.com/c/GreenKnight2001
scorehouse

Post by scorehouse »

just got the Z and have all the aforementioned Heroes to attach.
PaxusZero

Post by PaxusZero »

Keep no retaliation for a prototype or captured tank you don't want losses racking up on. Same with first strike (or put it on a pioniere.) Superior maneuver really is all it needs to be more than functional.
Magni
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Magni »

No Retaliation + Bär on a fighter is a guaranteed kill per turn (two if you overstrength and catch two enemy planes next to each other) and helps immensely with bullshit fighter units like 303 Squadron at Epsom.
PaxusZero

Post by PaxusZero »

Sort of what I do, except I use hit and run, 1.5 fire, Barr and a spitfire II to make it happen. I have galland with the same setup plus double attack.
adiekmann
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by adiekmann »

Magni wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:58 pm No Retaliation + Bär on a fighter is a guaranteed kill per turn (two if you overstrength and catch two enemy planes next to each other) and helps immensely with bullshit fighter units like 303 Squadron at Epsom.
That's what I do too, but use a Hurricane instead of a Spitefire. It has a higher air attack and negates the need for any rapid fire or other + attack hero. The Hurricane's biggest weakness is its low initiative, but that's eliminated with the No Retaliation hero. Your third hero should be Readiness to offset the damage when the AI fighters attack it.
Gfot
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Gfot »

The Bf109Z is great with Superior Maneuver+Galland. It ends up with 9 INI and 13 Air Attack with that combo, plus the 18 movement allows you to put Galland's passive bonuses pretty much wherever you want. If you roll Superior Maneuver, it also becomes a good spot for the Thorough preparation hero. Obviously the other heroes mentioned here (No Retaliation, First Strike etc) are even better, but I never have enough of those, and other units have higher priority. No retaliation goes on Bar and any other double attack unit, usually the tanks I use for captures (a T-34/40 with OA, Envelopment/Shock Tactics, DA and No Retaliation can basically wipe out two strong tank units per turn while suffering no casualties, or remove pesky AA and AT as long as they're not too entrenched, and with its 6 movement you will almost always be in range of a juicy capture).
Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Tassadar »

adiekmann wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:08 am
Magni wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:58 pm No Retaliation + Bär on a fighter is a guaranteed kill per turn (two if you overstrength and catch two enemy planes next to each other) and helps immensely with bullshit fighter units like 303 Squadron at Epsom.
That's what I do too, but use a Hurricane instead of a Spitefire. It has a higher air attack and negates the need for any rapid fire or other + attack hero. The Hurricane's biggest weakness is its low initiative, but that's eliminated with the No Retaliation hero. Your third hero should be Readiness to offset the damage when the AI fighters attack it.
For fighters, First Strike is almost as good as No Retaliation. I prefer to saver the latter fro ground units, especially infantry. Due to the way attack versus defense works for aircraft, aside from SCW era, the unit shooting first will include ridiculous damage and get minimal damage back. With overstrength it can even one-shot planes most of the time. Plus, First Strike also works on defense, so no need to assign another Readiness hero and that slot can be used for something even more useful.

Return to “Panzer Corps 2”