MIA Soviet Airforce in AO42 Assault on Stalingrad Scenario

A new story begins...
The sequel to a real classic: Panzer Corps is back!

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

Panzer73
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

MIA Soviet Airforce in AO42 Assault on Stalingrad Scenario

Post by Panzer73 »

I did not encounter any Soviet aircraft when I played the Assault on Stalingrad scenario. Instead of staying at the airfields or making a beeline for Chir Station, I decided to counter-attack based on Tassadar and George_Parr's experiences (see the General Tassadar and His Little Tanks AAR).

I fought my way around the map, recaptured Chir station and had only a few Soviet units left on the map, in the NW corner. There are no Soviet aircraft on the map when I do my after-scenario map review. I never encountered a single Soviet unit during the scenario.

Here is the weird thing - there were 15 Soviet air units on the map during deployment, as I discovered when I did my post-campaign inspection of the maps with the iseeyou command. Did anyone encounter these aircraft during the scenario? Was I insanely lucky? Or was there a bug in the Soviet aircraft deployment?
BaronVonKrieg
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Re: MIA Soviet Airforce in AO42 Assault on Stalingrad Scenario

Post by BaronVonKrieg »

Panzer73 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:29 pm I did not encounter any Soviet aircraft when I played the Assault on Stalingrad scenario. Instead of staying at the airfields or making a beeline for Chir Station, I decided to counter-attack based on Tassadar and George_Parr's experiences (see the General Tassadar and His Little Tanks AAR).

I fought my way around the map, recaptured Chir station and had only a few Soviet units left on the map, in the NW corner. There are no Soviet aircraft on the map when I do my after-scenario map review. I never encountered a single Soviet unit during the scenario.

Here is the weird thing - there were 15 Soviet air units on the map during deployment, as I discovered when I did my post-campaign inspection of the maps with the iseeyou command. Did anyone encounter these aircraft during the scenario? Was I insanely lucky? Or was there a bug in the Soviet aircraft deployment?
i noticed that so played it once with fog of war turned off, for some reason planes self destruct on turn 1 in my case
VirgilInTheSKY
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by VirgilInTheSKY »

No Soviet aircraft for me also, I noticed those forward airfields at the starting area of soviet forces, but had never seen any aircraft in this scenario.
VirgilInTheSKY
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by VirgilInTheSKY »

BaronVonKrieg wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:36 pm i noticed that so played it once with fog of war turned off, for some reason planes self destruct on turn 1 in my case
Sounds like the Forward Airfield used in this scenario (it is a different thing from the Deployed Airefield used by the player) was not registed as "Airfield" to hold aircraft, so all of them crashed at their turn because Soviet forces does not have any normal airfield in the start of this scenario.

Edit:
possible fix: Add "ForwardAirfieldDeployed,5" to a new line in Airfields.csv might fix the issue.
nexusno2000
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by nexusno2000 »

All Soviet planes crash round 1.
Green Knight
https://www.youtube.com/c/GreenKnight2001
Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Tassadar »

It reminds me of this old joke that Soviet products either never break, or break immediately. :D

This aside, I strongly believe this should (and hopefully will be) patched. As it stands the scenario seems too easy compared to what it should be, especially without aircraft.
dalfrede
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by dalfrede »

Went into editor, changed 'Forward Airfield's to 'Deployed Airfield's and there are plenty of Soviet aircraft attacking on Turn One.
There comes a time on every project when it is time to shoot the engineer and ship the damn thing.

Return to “Panzer Corps 2”