Interesting AI Interaction

A new story begins...
The sequel to a real classic: Panzer Corps is back!

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Interesting AI Interaction

Post by Kerensky »

Reviewing 1942 DLC scenario by scenario and I'm up to Bombing of Stalingrad.

1. I deploy my bombers forward after 6th Army recon motorcycle captures an airfield.
2. During Soviet turn, their counter attack killed the motorcycle and retakes the airfield.
Normally would would result in my bombers being forced back to a friendly airfield losing their turn but...
3. During the 6th Army turn, more 6th Army units re-retake the airfield!
Thus my bombers never lose their turn.

That's a very curious interaction going on there, with hex ownership changing hands back and forth.

I wonder if I can bake that into some future design...

Friendly AI Aircraft are trapped at airfields during a snowstorm, and Soviet troops advance and capture the airfields. But on your turn you can 'rescue' the AI aircraft before they crash if you get the airfield back. That could be neat...
VirgilInTheSKY
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Re: Interesting AI Interaction

Post by VirgilInTheSKY »

Kerensky wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:01 am Friendly AI Aircraft are trapped at airfields during a snowstorm, and Soviet troops advance and capture the airfields. But on your turn you can 'rescue' the AI aircraft before they crash if you get the airfield back. That could be neat...
Or use this to your advantage to take out a whole bunch of enemy aircraft with one hit. :)
P5138
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: Interesting AI Interaction

Post by P5138 »

I had a similar interaction happen during my most recent Spanish Civil War campaign*. I was controlling my units and I accidentally forced an enemy unit to retreat onto an airfield I controlled with aircraft based out of it. I was out of undos and I had no more actions. I ended the turn, the AI attacked the enemy, killed it, and retook the airfield before the next turn. No lost turns for the air force.

I'm not sure how well it would work in a full scenario, but it could be cool as a "Chess Problem".

*I'm redoing the AO with the new overrun/paratrooper rules (and will probably restart with limited stock when transports get patched). It's a mixed bag (I think the paratrooper change has made some things break because now air transports are paradoxically more useful and worse at the same time**; more experimenting is required.)

**You can airdrop light artillery, AT, and flak now, but you can't move and unload at an airport in the same turn. Also the double move hero is now God for paratroops. Apologies for the tangent.

Return to “Panzer Corps 2”