New Paratrooper Rules Are a Big Mistake

A new story begins...
The sequel to a real classic: Panzer Corps is back!

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

brettz123
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

New Paratrooper Rules Are a Big Mistake

Post by brettz123 »

I get they needed to be different for multiplayer but it really has messed up the Eben-Emael scenario in the 1940 DLC. The entire purpose having that paratroopers in that scenario was to be able to encircle the fortress and keep them unsupplied..... guess what can't be done anymore? Yeah, you guys basically made the scenario unplayable. Is this going to be addressed anytime soon?
Patrick Ward
Slitherine
Slitherine

Re: New Paratrooper Rules Are a Big Mistake

Post by Patrick Ward »

brettz123 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:48 pm I get they needed to be different for multiplayer but it really has messed up the Eben-Emael scenario in the 1940 DLC. The entire purpose having that paratroopers in that scenario was to be able to encircle the fortress and keep them unsupplied..... guess what can't be done anymore? Yeah, you guys basically made the scenario unplayable. Is this going to be addressed anytime soon?
You'll find your answer here.

viewtopic.php?f=464&t=106296&start=40#p936456

P

Pat a Pixel Pusher

brettz123

Post by brettz123 »

Awesome, glad you guys are on it!
Jaimainsoyyo
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Jaimainsoyyo »

brettz123 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:48 pm I get they needed to be different for multiplayer but it really has messed up the Eben-Emael scenario in the 1940 DLC. The entire purpose having that paratroopers in that scenario was to be able to encircle the fortress and keep them unsupplied..... guess what can't be done anymore? Yeah, you guys basically made the scenario unplayable. Is this going to be addressed anytime soon?
In the meantime, if you want to do the same that Paras did before you only need a "Double Movement" Hero and problem fixed .
Bee1976

Post by Bee1976 »

Jaimainsoyyo wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:42 pm
In the meantime, if you want to do the same that Paras did before you only need a "Double Movement" Hero and problem fixed .
The problem is heros are completly random. I never get the ones i would like. But there is no chance to exchange them. And for all missions that are broken right now, you need more than 1 unit paratroopers. And you cant assign them to AI units (crete)

Im unsure if its possible to fix this via a mod until the official tune up comes, but if there is one some1 pls help me out. :mrgreen:
impossible
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by impossible »

Bee1976 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:38 pm
The problem is heros are completly random. I never get the ones i would like. But there is no chance to exchange them. And for all missions that are broken right now, you need more than 1 unit paratroopers. And you cant assign them to AI units (crete)

Im unsure if its possible to fix this via a mod until the official tune up comes, but if there is one some1 pls help me out. :mrgreen:

crete is doable (except the bonus objectives which are very difficult now, couldnt do it with spanis uber import army on generalissimus+david&goliath+heroic showdown) - just use the southern supply hex airport and kill the fleet that is bombarding your troops after landing.
Bee1976

Post by Bee1976 »

impossible wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:24 pm

crete is doable (except the bonus objectives which are very difficult now
Thats why i labeled crete as broken. Its not working as intended. And somehow finishing a mission is no fun for me.
I havent played much PC2 since 1 month, waiting for the fixes.
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

Bee1976 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:44 pm
Thats why i labeled crete as broken. Its not working as intended. And somehow finishing a mission is no fun for me.
I apologize for the wait, but I assure you fixes are coming. We had to have some internal discussion on 'how' to address this issue, and while that was going on, several other outstanding issues have been getting addressed. Ideally we can release a nice big healthy patch, and not have to constantly push hotfix after hotfix in a mad scrambled rush.

It does mean you guys have to wait, which is indeed a bummer. Sorry again, and thank you for your patience. :)
Retributarr
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Retributarr »

"Kerensky!!!"... I want you to know... that i have 'Lots Of Patience'... do you know why???... that's because "I Never Use Any Of It!".
nexusno2000
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by nexusno2000 »

I like the para change. A lot.

Eben-Emael specifically could use a tweak but please don't dumb it back down...
Green Knight
https://www.youtube.com/c/GreenKnight2001
nexusno2000
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by nexusno2000 »

Relatedly: naval landings are dumb.

Move ship, disembark same turn AND full land movement.

LOL :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Green Knight
Bee1976

Post by Bee1976 »

Kerensky wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:48 pm
Bee1976 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:44 pm
I apologize for the wait, but I assure you fixes are coming. We had to have some internal discussion on 'how' to address this issue, and while that was going on, several other outstanding issues have been getting addressed. Ideally we can release a nice big healthy patch, and not have to constantly push hotfix after hotfix in a mad scrambled rush.

It does mean you guys have to wait, which is indeed a bummer. Sorry again, and thank you for your patience. :)
Dont get me wrong. It was not meant critizing. Im not upset. The team needs a break, thats ok for me. Meanwhile the team is working on a patch to adress some issues, do some tunings, and so on, and you dont want to rush it out. Thats ok for me again. I wait patiently, looking forward to a better experience in the game.
But its true, i havent played much PC2 since 4 weeks. If it takes more weeks to release that patch i will wait that time aswell. But i assure you, as soon as the patch is released i will play :mrgreen:

So take your time, buuuuuuut to easy our (my) pain, what about some teasing spoilers of (to ?) that changelog ;)
R2G2
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by R2G2 »

nexusno2000 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:15 pm I like the para change. A lot.

You should look at it from a Scenario Design perspective. The current change to paras cripples the AI's use of them. The drop zone can't be a random move and now they sit in the air transport for an extra turn.

If this was added to naval transports... might as well not bother with a D-Day scenario.
Scrapulous
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Scrapulous »

R2G2 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:17 am
If this was added to naval transports... might as well not bother with a D-Day scenario.
See, I think it's the current rules that make D-Day not worth bothering with. The Dover scenario in AO 1940 illustrates this pretty well, I think. If you land mobile units in the first wave, you can have the enemy's defenses encircled before they ever fire a shot. That's fairly ridiculous. I agree that a turn of inaction after an amphibious landing would make more sense and add meaningful and realistic challenge to amphibious scenarios. Under the current rules, D-Day would be a joke: overwhelming forces landing next to a thin garrison and some fixed defenses would absolutely crush the resistance, especially since many landings were uncontested. The defenders would be totally surrounded on turn 1 and would be lucky to fire a single shot.
Bee1976

Post by Bee1976 »

The current change to paras cripples the AI's use of them.
Its quite unrealistic aswell. Paras jump out of a flying plane. Its ok that they need 1 turn to attack, but fyling in the air for 1 turn over their target location ? Waiting for anti-ar and enemy fighters to shoot at them ?
Giving ground forces 1 extra turn to react to them ? The new ruleset is completl ok for airliftet infantry besides paras and airlifted equipment, but well paras jump out of a plane over their destination area. Thir planes dont fly holding patterns.
nexusno2000
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by nexusno2000 »

Scrapulous wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:48 am
See, I think it's the current rules that make D-Day not worth bothering with. The Dover scenario in AO 1940 illustrates this pretty well, I think. If you land mobile units in the first wave, you can have the enemy's defenses encircled before they ever fire a shot. That's fairly ridiculous. I agree that a turn of inaction after an amphibious landing would make more sense and add meaningful and realistic challenge to amphibious scenarios. Under the current rules, D-Day would be a joke: overwhelming forces landing next to a thin garrison and some fixed defenses would absolutely crush the resistance, especially since many landings were uncontested. The defenders would be totally surrounded on turn 1 and would be lucky to fire a single shot.
Yes, exactly this.
Green Knight
nexusno2000
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by nexusno2000 »

nexusno2000 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:15 pm I like the para change. A lot.

You should look at it from a Scenario Design perspective. The current change to paras cripples the AI's use of them. The drop zone can't be a random move and now they sit in the air transport for an extra turn.

AI use of paras?

There is one US scenario in the core campaign that only underline the stupidity of old Para rules.
Green Knight
nexusno2000
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by nexusno2000 »

Bee1976 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:45 am
The current change to paras cripples the AI's use of them.
Its quite unrealistic aswell. Paras jump out of a flying plane. Its ok that they need 1 turn to attack, but fyling in the air for 1 turn over their target location ? Waiting for anti-ar and enemy fighters to shoot at them ?
Giving ground forces 1 extra turn to react to them ? The new ruleset is completl ok for airliftet infantry besides paras and airlifted equipment, but well paras jump out of a plane over their destination area. Thir planes dont fly holding patterns.
It's a turn based game.

Any action that has no potential counter isn't good for a turn based game...
Green Knight
R2G2
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by R2G2 »

Scrapulous wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:48 am I agree that a turn of inaction after an amphibious landing would make more sense and add meaningful and realistic challenge to amphibious scenarios.
This would also be the proper way to fix paras... let them land in the same turn, but lose all movement points. I hope they change to this in the next update.
nexusno2000 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:54 am AI use of paras?

There is one US scenario in the core campaign that only underline the stupidity of old Para rules.
Besides D-day, Axis Operations will most likely include Operations Varsity and Market Garden. There are at least 8 more airborne operations they could add along with these 3 for the AI’s use of paras.
Bee1976

Post by Bee1976 »

nexusno2000 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:55 am
It's a turn based game.

Any action that has no potential counter isn't good for a turn based game...
In multiplayer this might be correct. I dont play multiplayer. But i remember that edmon statet some potential counters to the old para ruleset in multiplayer. But if pvp gamers are happy with those changes and the new ruleset, let them keep the new ruleset.

In singleplayer missions are balanced around that ruleset. So it doesnt matter if there is a counter or not. Devs have balanced around this "issue". The new ruleset is really bad for old missions that are not balanced around them. first training mission for eben is broken. Eben is way harder. But crete...well its historical correct watching the para ai die in seconds, but....
i dont think that much players will finish this mission on generalissimus. And its hard to imagine that more than maybe a handful of players is able to finish this mission with bonus objectives.

So old missions need old ruleset or a complete fix, so that players can play and enjoy those missions like before. I know that you prefer the new ruleset, but if the devs bring back the old ruleset (i dont think they do, i bet they fix old missions fpr the new ruleset to work again as intended) no one forbids you to let your paras fly 1 round over their target destination like a sitting duck before they land next turn ;)
I can accept that real good players want a harder challenge, but there are many ways to increase the personal difficulty level. Only 0,4% of the steam players got the 1941 generalissimus achivement. So i dont think there is any need to tune the difficulty up for some missions by default. But of course we will see what the team will do. I bet they find a solution we both can accept :D

Return to “Panzer Corps 2”