Questions About Panzer Corps 2

A new story begins...
The sequel to a real classic: Panzer Corps is back!

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

canuckgamer
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Questions About Panzer Corps 2

Post by canuckgamer »

Years ago I played Panzer General. I have not purchased Panzer Corps 2 but I'm more interested now with the announcement of Panzer Corps 2 Pacific as there really aren't many games on the Pacific theatre. As an old boardgamer dating back to the days of Avalon Hill I considered Panzer General to be a "beer and pretzels" wargame, fun to play but somewhat light on realism. There seems to be a little more to Panzer Corps 2 but I'm wondering about things like are Tiger Tanks superior to Shermans or can 88"s take out Allied tanks before they get "in range". If you decide to send a Stuka to bomb a unit are they intercepted by enemy fighters in range? Looking at some of the You Tube videos it seems there is fog of war but how much is hard to tell.

My friends and I are currently playing War Plan, War Plan Pacific, and a number of the Combat Mission games such as CMFI and CMRT by PBEM. We also continue playing some recent boardgames using Vassal.
deadtorius
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Re: Questions About Panzer Corps 2

Post by deadtorius »

I'm also a big Panzer General fan. It was my favourite game back in the day and I love Panzer Corps 2.
There is fog of war in the game, air units and recon can see further, I think ground units see 2 hexes recon 3 air same or 4. I really can't recall. You do get airborne recon planes now, but they move as airplanes not like recon units that can move until they spend their full move.
The heroes can make units into super units. I have a tiger 1 in one army that is zero slots and over strength to 15. It one shots anything that gets adjacent.
Unlike the older panzer general all non artillery units fire one her, so no blasting the allies before they can get in range. Who shoots first is based on a hero or initiative, so the big guns might get hit first.
Overall I enjoy the game, but I find id rather play the DLC campaigns then the standard one that comes with the game.
I'm also looking forward to the pacific version, I had Pacific General too and enjoyed it.

Keeping in mind that your army is whatever you want to build it to, it can be very unhistorical from that stand point just like the original, but it is still a fun game I enjoy playing
adiekmann
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by adiekmann »

canuckgamer wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:12 pm Years ago I played Panzer General. I have not purchased Panzer Corps 2 but I'm more interested now with the announcement of Panzer Corps 2 Pacific as there really aren't many games on the Pacific theatre. As an old boardgamer dating back to the days of Avalon Hill I considered Panzer General to be a "beer and pretzels" wargame, fun to play but somewhat light on realism. There seems to be a little more to Panzer Corps 2 but I'm wondering about things like are Tiger Tanks superior to Shermans or can 88"s take out Allied tanks before they get "in range". If you decide to send a Stuka to bomb a unit are they intercepted by enemy fighters in range? Looking at some of the You Tube videos it seems there is fog of war but how much is hard to tell.

My friends and I are currently playing War Plan, War Plan Pacific, and a number of the Combat Mission games such as CMFI and CMRT by PBEM. We also continue playing some recent boardgames using Vassal.
I too was a huge Panzer General and later Panzer General 2 fan. I spent thousands of hours playing them both. It takes too much time to explain all of the similarities and differences between PC2 and those esteemed ancestors. However, let me summarize by saying that it consists of everything you experienced from PG 1 and 2, but is an evolution of those two titles as one would expect. Overall, much improved while maintaining the core of what I liked about those titles. Furthermore, there are tons of ways to customize the game and/or make it more challenging or just a different experience if you should wish. To address something specifically that you mentioned, tanks did not have "range" in PG1, only in PG2, and it is not in PC 1 or 2 either. Instead, it is reflected in higher initiative rating of the unit meaning that it is likely to "fire first." In short, that Tiger will still devastate that Sherman.

Nothing is certain in life, but I would wager that you will like it. Just make sure first that your PC can handle it well. It is much more hardware demanding than any of its predecessors.
PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by PoorOldSpike »

canuckgamer wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:12 pm ..there really aren't many games on the Pacific theatre. ..
are Tiger Tanks superior to Shermans
...can 88"s take out Allied tanks before they get "in range".
...If you decide to send a Stuka to bomb a unit are they intercepted by enemy fighters in range?
...Looking at some of the You Tube videos it seems there is fog of war but how much is hard to tell.
1- Check out Matrix/Slitherine's excellent 'Order of Battle' game, it has the same look and feel as PC2 and has all the Pacific scenarios you could ever want..:)
2- In PC2 (and in all wargames) standard 75mm Shermans are outclassed by Tigers, but the later 76mm-armed Shers do better, and the 17-pounder Firefly variant does better still; Firefly gunner Joe Ekins knocked out 3 Tigs in quick succession-

https://youtu.be/LhdE2vBxkcM

3- 88's in the AT role and most other ground units (except artillery) have no range and can only attack each other from an adjacent hex, but AT guns including the 88 usually fire first in such engagements which gives them an advantage.
4- If your fighter is adjacent to a friendly unit that's under Stuka attack,the fighter will fire at the Stuka before it drops its bombs.
5- Friendly units can see 2 or 3 hexes depending on type, and any hexes beyond that range are greyed out with FOW, it's realistic..:)
Jazon
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Jazon »

Hi!
I've just bought Panzer Corps 2, together with all DLC for Axis operations, using GOG platform. I reside in China so this is the only platform I can use for purchase. I went through tutorial, and wanted to play some scenario before I start any Campaign, but... I discovered there is no campaign either for Allies or Soviets, which is kind of disappointing. I was hoping at least there is some scenarios, I read this thread ahead, and I saw there are some scenarios for Reds and Allies, but I don't see them in my game menu? I got only German side scenarios, Crete, Fall Weiss, and Fjord war etc. Does anybody got similar problem? Or do I need to adjust some directory in game folder? My version of game is 1.2.2
Sorry for silly questions, but I am fresh as spring grass in this game, I just bought it two days ago. Please share what you know, or how I can fix this issue.

Jazon
adiekmann

Post by adiekmann »

Jazon wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:51 am Hi!
I've just bought Panzer Corps 2, together with all DLC for Axis operations, using GOG platform. I reside in China so this is the only platform I can use for purchase. I went through tutorial, and wanted to play some scenario before I start any Campaign, but... I discovered there is no campaign either for Allies or Soviets, which is kind of disappointing. I was hoping at least there is some scenarios, I read this thread ahead, and I saw there are some scenarios for Reds and Allies, but I don't see them in my game menu? I got only German side scenarios, Crete, Fall Weiss, and Fjord war etc. Does anybody got similar problem? Or do I need to adjust some directory in game folder? My version of game is 1.2.2
Sorry for silly questions, but I am fresh as spring grass in this game, I just bought it two days ago. Please share what you know, or how I can fix this issue.

Jazon
Some of the stand alone scenarios are a bit tough, but there are some that you can play as the Allies. There are three where you command Soviet forces, one American, and another Anglo-American (both British and U.S. forces). Look on the left side where it gives the name of the scenario and you'll see the national symbol marking which nation you play (e.g. hammer and sickle for USSR)...unless they were not included in your version of the game???

USSR Scenarios listed in the "historical" section:

Battle of Rzhev
Prague Offensive
Battle of Voronezh (newly added)
Jazon

Post by Jazon »

Hi,
thanks for the reply. I guess there is something wrong with my copy of the game???
As you can see on the screen there are only four independent scenarios available
menu-scenrio.jpg
menu-scenrio.jpg (309.25 KiB) Viewed 1439 times
:(
adiekmann

Post by adiekmann »

I suggest contacting Slitherine. I suspect, but don't know for sure, that you may have some other version of the game that didn't come with as many "bonuses" including extra scenarios. I don't know that for sure, it's just a guess. Contact customer support by email and they may be able to provide you with a definite answer.
gunny
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by gunny »

pz originalb.jpg
pz originalb.jpg (61.07 KiB) Viewed 1302 times
Patrick Ward
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Patrick Ward »

Jazon wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:26 am Hi,
thanks for the reply. I guess there is something wrong with my copy of the game???
As you can see on the screen there are only four independent scenarios availablemenu-scenrio.jpg:(
I don't remember how many the base game comes with as its focus was on the campaign and random scenario generator, but the General edition upgrade gets you some more and there were three given away this week as a free update.

As for the Allies and Soviets, the game is caller Panzercorps, so its initial focus has always been the German operations. However there are plans to add many more campaigns in the future and indeed the soon to be released Pacific DLC will initially be from the American POV. Until then you can play the other Allies in either Random maps, multiplayer, or you can create your own or play the many user created scenarios.

Pat

Pat a Pixel Pusher

Return to “Panzer Corps 2”