Back End Stuff Mentioned in most recent Tea Time

A new story begins...
The sequel to a real classic: Panzer Corps is back!

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

Thunderhog
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Back End Stuff Mentioned in most recent Tea Time

Post by Thunderhog »

In the most recent Tea Time with Slitherine, it was mentioned that the thing that is taking time for the Pacific DLC is back end stuff and not actual content, and it sounds like they will reveal more in a couple weeks. What do you guys think the back end stuff is? Personally I could see it'd still be things to deal with naval combat or maybe even naval invasion updates.
adiekmann
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Re: Back End Stuff Mentioned in most recent Tea Time

Post by adiekmann »

Thunderhog wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:36 am In the most recent Tea Time with Slitherine, it was mentioned that the thing that is taking time for the Pacific DLC is back end stuff and not actual content, and it sounds like they will reveal more in a couple weeks. What do you guys think the back end stuff is? Personally I could see it'd still be things to deal with naval combat or maybe even naval invasion updates.
I just watched it; Not exactly sure what "back end stuff" means. It could mean a lot of different stuff. Or it could be just the be phrase that he used. Marco's English is excellent, but he's still not a native speaker. Perhaps he means "loose ends?" But still, that too could cover a wide variety of issues from story elements to fixing minor little bugs or inconsistencies. But my money would be on fine tuning some of the new elements introduced in this DLC, whatever they may be. We already have been told that there will be new naval mechanics, but there probably are others too. New amphibious landings rules? New unit abilities? This is all total guesswork. I suppose we'll find out in a couple of more weeks (I hope).
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

In computer science, a back-end (sometimes also called a dorsal) is a term designating an output stage of a software to produce a result. It is opposed to the front-end (also called a frontal) which is the visible part of the iceberg.

Here are some examples, to better understand the concept:
  • In a store, there is a back room where the items are stored, and an office that ensures the proper operation of the store. It’s the back-end, everything that happens in the background without the customer realizing it. In that same store, there is customer service and displays. It’s the front-end, what the customer sees.
  • In a model-view-controller architecture, the view is part of the front-end (user interface) while the model and the controller are part of the back-end (representation and data processing in the background).
  • In a client-server environment, we consider that the client acts as a front-end while the server acts as a back-end.
  • In the old Windows 3.1 operating system, the MS-DOS operating subsystem was considered the back-end while the graphical interface with which the user interacted was considered the front-end.
adiekmann

Post by adiekmann »

terminator wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:15 pm In computer science, a back-end (sometimes also called a dorsal) is a term designating an output stage of a software to produce a result. It is opposed to the front-end (also called a frontal) which is the visible part of the iceberg.

Here are some examples, to better understand the concept:
  • In a store, there is a back room where the items are stored, and an office that ensures the proper operation of the store. It’s the back-end, everything that happens in the background without the customer realizing it. In that same store, there is customer service and displays. It’s the front-end, what the customer sees.
  • In a model-view-controller architecture, the view is part of the front-end (user interface) while the model and the controller are part of the back-end (representation and data processing in the background).
  • In a client-server environment, we consider that the client acts as a front-end while the server acts as a back-end.
  • In the old Windows 3.1 operating system, the MS-DOS operating subsystem was considered the back-end while the graphical interface with which the user interacted was considered the front-end.
Oh! Thanks for that explanation! I have (obviously) no computer science training or background whatsoever.
Bee1976
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by Bee1976 »

I hope for some hero management love as the backend stuff ;)
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

I hope for some optimisation (I lose the sound a short time from time to time for example).
dalfrede
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by dalfrede »

There is a history of the Devs delivering a update to Slitherline on the weekend [effectively Monday morning] and having the update appear Thursday.
Slitherline has a procedure for releasing software. Checks, verifications, and what not.
No one [other than Slitherline] knows what the process is and how long it should take.
Just how long it does take.

Having the wrong person sick, in the back room, can cause everything to slow down, and no one on the outside will know what is going on.
There comes a time on every project when it is time to shoot the engineer and ship the damn thing.
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

I hope the Beta won’t be deployed at the last minute and brief...
dalfrede

Post by dalfrede »

terminator wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:16 am I hope the Beta won’t be deployed at the last minute and brief...
From the last announcement the Beta was to start in January, so by next Tuesday they are late [Feb 1].
But after AO42E, I am sure they will take their time to get the Beta right.
There comes a time on every project when it is time to shoot the engineer and ship the damn thing.
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

dalfrede wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:22 pm
terminator wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:16 am I hope the Beta won’t be deployed at the last minute and brief...
From the last announcement the Beta was to start in January, so by next Tuesday they are late [Feb 1].
But after AO42E, I am sure they will take their time to get the Beta right.
According to you first AO43E then Pacific DLC ?

Edit: AO42E :arrow: AO43E
Last edited by terminator on Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dalfrede

Post by dalfrede »

terminator wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:24 pm According to you first AO42E then Pacific DLC ?
AO42E has already happened [July 21], the Beta was rushed and caused problems.
The 1.2.3 upgrade in Dec. included fixes to AO42E.
I am assuming that Slitherline learned from their mistakes and will not be repeating them.

Pacific DLC March?, AO43E July?
heinz1803
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by heinz1803 »

dalfrede wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:17 pm
If the Pacific DLC needs so much time, then they should release AOE43 earlier. I am not really motivated for a Pacific battle if i have to wait over a year for the grand campaign. :cry:
Thunderhog

Post by Thunderhog »

heinz1803 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:06 am
dalfrede wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:17 pm
If the Pacific DLC needs so much time, then they should release AOE43 earlier. I am not really motivated for a Pacific battle if i have to wait over a year for the grand campaign. :cry:
Like the devs said before, it's two separate teams working on Pacific and 43 respectively. Pacific isn't slowing down 43, 43 just needs more time because they're making the alt history path and the historical path
SirAllan
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by SirAllan »

Why not merge the teams and get atleast one DLC done asap?
Bee1976

Post by Bee1976 »

heinz1803 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:06 am I am not really motivated for a Pacific battle
Same, i will buy Paciffic asap after release, but im pretty sure i wont play it until i finished AO45. So if they ask me, they could release pacific and AO43 at the same time, i will buy both ;)
But my focus is on finisheing one campaign before i start another
Thunderhog

Post by Thunderhog »

SirAllan wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:43 pm Why not merge the teams and get atleast one DLC done asap?
Pacific is probably almost done man. Even if they did merge the teams 43 would still take a while as it's basically making two different paths. I'm sure there will be more news come either this week or next week. Remember to watch Tea Time with Slitherine on Thursday and ask in the chat. They do it on Twitch and youtube
heinz1803
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by heinz1803 »

Bee1976 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:26 pm
heinz1803 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:06 am I am not really motivated for a Pacific battle
Same, i will buy Paciffic asap after release, but im pretty sure i wont play it until i finished AO45. So if they ask me, they could release pacific and AO43 at the same time, i will buy both ;)
But my focus is on finisheing one campaign before i start another
Will also buy Pacific, like I bought every DLC for panzer corps 1. Still haven't played the Red Army campaign. :mrgreen:

Return to “Panzer Corps 2”