Suggestions, wishlist and ideas for Panzer Corps 2 gameplay

A new story begins...
The sequel to a real classic: Panzer Corps is back!

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

Retributarr
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Re: Suggestions, wishlist and ideas for Panzer Corps 2 gameplay

Post by Retributarr » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:30 pm

Realistic WWII Alternative History Options:

Why didn't France attack Germany in 1939?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6cEezizZ2c

Why was France so Ineffective in WWII? (1940) | Animated History
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlFmYI_mS7Y

George_Parr
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by George_Parr » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:33 pm

Meh, TIK isn't exactly known for always going with what's true or the most realistic...

First of all, the Battle of Stalingrad had nothing to do with the original operation. Thus it makes little sense to say that going with three army groups was wrong and that going with two would have been better. Reality isn't a game. There's a ton of stuff to take into consideration when looking at the order of battle from top to bottom, you can't just assign an endless amount of troops to one command and expect things to work out well.

The issue with Stalingrad was something that happened quite a bit earlier. The entire strategy ofthe 1942 summer campaign was based on rapid encirclement and destroying the Soviet armies in the Don-bend before they could evade. This is what they failed at due to some unnecessary troop movements. Soviet units did get away, which allowed them to rebuild a defensive line and defend Stalingrad. Only then did the plan stop working. Just making sure that the volga couldn't be used for transport had also been the original order. But reality doesn't keep to nice plans you make.
Going for a full push towards Baku would have been completely suicidal. The lines were already thinly defended as they were, counting on allies who didn't have the means to guard these places even under ideal circumstances. Putting even more units towards the south - ignoring for a moment that there wouldn't have been any way to get enough supply there - just means that the Soviets have an even easier time breaking through. That in turn would likely mean the entire southern part of the front being cut off in the Caucasus. The oil-fields also wouldn't have been of much immediate use. The Germans never managed to get the Maikop fields going again after holding them for five months, as they had been sabotaged by the Soviets. The same thing would have happened elsewhere as well. These oilfields only would have been a long-term benefit (apart from denying them from the Soviets), in the short-term they would have cost more resources than they would have returned.

In general, the main problem was the horrendous intelligence work done in the east. The Wehrmacht ended up taking out as many soldiers in 1941 as the plan had expected them to, it's just that there were a whole lot more men and material then intelligence had said there would be. When talking to Mannheim in 1942 (I think), Hitler himself had stated that he never would have attacked in the first place if he had known how many troops and tanks they were facing.

There was also zero indication that the Soviets were about to do anything against Romania. That situation had been dealt with sufficiently during 1940. The Soviets got some land, and the German military presence would prevent more from happening. It would have been a theoretical (and long-term) risk at best. Nothing forced Hitler to attack at that point. He made that choice because there was little chance for anything else. Invading Britain was all but impossible. As per his own words, he recognized that Britain had regained hope in the later stages of 1940, and he thought that was based on either the US or the Soviets eventually coming to their rescue. Thus he decided to take down the Soviet Union quickly, to remove that option (which ended up causing exactly the situation the British were hoping for). He also thought that this would keep the US at bay, as a Japan that could ignore the Soviets would be a much stronger opponent in the Pacific.

That being said, I'm not quite sure what all of this has to do with ideas and suggestions for PC 2...

MickMannock
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by MickMannock » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:30 am

I'm curious about how the whole hero aspect of the game got handled. I understand that heroes can be moved around between units this time, but are the heroes type specific? For example a hero for a fighter plane can only be moved to other fighter plane units or can the hero be moved to any unit?

Are there specific heroes (fixed first and last name) that you earn or are they random in the same way the were in the previous game, in that the sense that the game put together a random first name with a random last name?

And connected to the above, are there any historical figures as heroes or will they only show up in any potential upcoming DLC like they did for the original game?

nexusno2000
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by nexusno2000 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:22 pm

MickMannock wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:30 am
I'm curious about how the whole hero aspect of the game got handled. I understand that heroes can be moved around between units this time, but are the heroes type specific? For example a hero for a fighter plane can only be moved to other fighter plane units or can the hero be moved to any unit?

Are there specific heroes (fixed first and last name) that you earn or are they random in the same way the were in the previous game, in that the sense that the game put together a random first name with a random last name?

And connected to the above, are there any historical figures as heroes or will they only show up in any potential upcoming DLC like they did for the original game?
Picture and name are generated randomly, along with the Hero ability.

Heroes can be moved between units. Their abilities don't always work as well with all unit types.

I don't think the hero (and medal) system is finalized, so what we get in the final release will be more polished than what is seen in demo plays.
Green Knight
https://www.youtube.com/c/GreenKnight2001

MickMannock

Post by MickMannock » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:32 pm

nexusno2000 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:22 pm

Picture and name are generated randomly, along with the Hero ability.

Heroes can be moved between units. Their abilities don't always work as well with all unit types.

I don't think the hero (and medal) system is finalized, so what we get in the final release will be more polished than what is seen in demo plays.
Thanks for the reply. A bit disappointing though. I was hoping for something else.

Maybe it can be modded. But it wasn't possible in Panzer Corps, so maybe I shouldn't get my hopes up.

nexusno2000

Post by nexusno2000 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:04 pm

Developer aims at better mod support than PC.

Stuff in beta can be modded that couldn't be changed in PC. And there is more to come.

So I would say: be optimistic 😁
Green Knight

terje439
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by terje439 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:03 pm

Having watched a few streams and YT vids, it seems to me that AA and arty are extremely anemic. Is this something the testers have talked about and has it been looked at?

nexusno2000

Post by nexusno2000 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:21 pm

terje439 wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:03 pm
Having watched a few streams and YT vids, it seems to me that AA and arty are extremely anemic. Is this something the testers have talked about and has it been looked at?
ATY is extremely important as an enabler. But do few kills on their own. It's as it should be. You need real units to clear out the enemy.

Same with AA - you need ftr to take advantage of enemy weakness. Or the AA Veteran general's trait. Makes AA quite deadly.
Green Knight

terje439
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by terje439 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:32 pm

nexusno2000 wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:21 pm
terje439 wrote:
ATY is extremely important as an enabler. But do few kills on their own. It's as it should be. You need real units to clear out the enemy.

Same with AA - you need ftr to take advantage of enemy weakness. Or the AA Veteran general's trait. Makes AA quite deadly.
Then why not exchange the AA for another fighter that actually does damage? Also arty did irl account for quite a few casualties over the war.
From the vids I've seen, you need aprox 3 arties to fully suppress one enemy unit, seems wack to me (also a few streamers says so in their playthrough).

nexusno2000

Post by nexusno2000 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:50 pm

terje439 wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:32 pm
nexusno2000 wrote:
terje439 wrote:

Then why not exchange the AA for another fighter that actually does damage? Also arty did irl account for quite a few casualties over the war.
From the vids I've seen, you need aprox 3 arties to fully suppress one enemy unit, seems wack to me (also a few streamers says so in their playthrough).
It depends on what artillery you use, how much entrenchment the enemy unit has. Are you also bombing? Recon bonuses? Mass attack? Encirclement?

Not sure those YouTubers are doing it right. Clearing inf from close terrain... it requires effort in PzC2.

Re the AA: good question! It's because I play with AA Veteran trait :D

But it could be that the lethality of AA will be increased across the board. Not sure how much.
Green Knight

Tephrias
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Tephrias » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:44 am

Random events after destroy an enemy unit or after occupy a city.

The idea isnt a new thing, I saw in Panzer Corps (or in mods), the events came always at the same time, but the gameplay can be more interesting, if these events pop up randomly.

Destroying enemy units have a chance to aktivate an event. Just a text come up and told that a high rank enemy commander is also captured. The reward can be some prestige, depend of the comander rank. Some other example: military band, singer or famous person is captured, or almost captured (like older Bush: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSCi7V2KQJc)
Examples for city occupation: war equipement, fuel depot, other supplies (like cigarettes, coffee), war materials.
The aktivating chance of the event is increase after each destroyed enemy unit or captured city. I think 2 event/scenario is enought.

Retributarr

Post by Retributarr » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:34 pm

Random Research Events:

This particular 'Event-Notion'...may or may not have a justifiable place in this Game, perhaps it can then be otherwise used for another occasion.

The "Research-Event":
Would go something along like this!... "O" Great Leader!...We Have Made An Extraordinary Research Break-Through ..."Well-Ahead" of the anticipated schedule!...In Our Research and Development of 'Blah!...Blah!...Blah!', and can now proceed to commence construction of 'Such and Such'.

Hemi
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Hemi » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:30 pm

terje439 wrote:
nexusno2000 wrote:
terje439 wrote:

You want AA units as part of a layered defense. AA suppresses the enemy planes so when your fighters engage they take less damage, and use less prestige to repair. In short, going the only fighter route will drain your prestige as you constantly repair.

Same dynamic with artillery. You suppress and lower entrenchment with Arty and consequently take fewer casualties for your infantry, and spend less with replacement's. It's a combined arms game

terje439
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by terje439 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:45 pm

Hemi wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:30 pm
terje439 wrote:
nexusno2000 wrote:

You want AA units as part of a layered defense. AA suppresses the enemy planes so when your fighters engage they take less damage, and use less prestige to repair. In short, going the only fighter route will drain your prestige as you constantly repair.

Same dynamic with artillery. You suppress and lower entrenchment with Arty and consequently take fewer casualties for your infantry, and spend less with replacement's. It's a combined arms game
Yeah I get that, but if you compare with PC, the AA and Arty in PC2 comes off as extremely anemic, and a few streamers claim that they are not worth it really, so I was curious to see if others have noticed the same.

Hemi

Post by Hemi » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:44 pm

terje439 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:45 pm
Hemi wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:30 pm
terje439 wrote:

Yeah I get that, but if you compare with PC, the AA and Arty in PC2 comes off as extremely anemic, and a few streamers claim that they are not worth it really, so I was curious to see if others have noticed the same.
If I layer my AA, I take down planes without taking damage to my fighter. If I use only fighters, I always take damage and it will take more attacks/turns. If I take the AA veteran skill which I do, often the enemy planes often die to AA or don't attack.

By layering, I mean a 37mm and an 88mm

Do you get as many kills with arty, AA, and AT? No. But you get a lot of suppression which carries over to your attack, and your attacking unit does more damage and takes less damage. Using these are vital to managing your prestige. You can do without but you will burn through prestige healing and run out later in campaigns

I include AT because if you have an AT unit parked next to a tank, and the enemy attacks the tank, the AT takes a free shot on the enemy. It has support fire now

PanzerCro

Post by PanzerCro » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:46 pm

Can you update grenadier units to look more like in PC 1, unlike all three men with MG-42 ?!

Tephrias

Post by Tephrias » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:29 pm

From 1942 Infanterie name was change to Grenadier (grenadier-regiment, grenadier-division etc.), in first years of war werent grenadiers in german army.

Infantry battalions had MG companys, but they equiped with mortars too, from 1944 the company name changed to heavy company, and mostly they were used in fire support role.

It can be rename Grenadier to Infanterie (MG) and change 2 guy, carrying rifles, and the third one's MG42 to MG34. From 1942 they called Grenadier and Grenadier (MG), from 1944 Grenadier and Grenadier (SW).

Sharkyzero
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Sharkyzero » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:45 am

I was only able to play a slight amount before work, but the English text seems a bit off and clunky in the minute amount of the game I was witness to. I'd be more than willing to pass over the text and offer my thoughts, but I suspect you guys might have folks that do that for you already. Nonetheless, some of the wording and grammar didn't hit my eyes properly. I won't know for certain until the game fully comes out, however, if things were truly as I remember them.

Whatever you guys do with this information, I'm stoked for the game and can't wait to melt into the experience come release day. ^___^

ScrubinMcNubins
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by ScrubinMcNubins » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:22 pm

I have noticed what Sharkyzero has mentioned about spelling in grammar. In the German campaign, it is fine. However, the tutorial levels seem a little off. Seems like some stereotypical translation errors from a Slavic language to English, lots of missing "the"s and "a"s.

Matyna
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Matyna » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:13 am

PanzerCro wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:46 pm
Can you update grenadier units to look more like in PC 1, unlike all three men with MG-42 ?!
Well, they look, in open Beta only one had MG, another 2 had rifles as in PC1. On videos from Beta testers, they have unfinished models.

Return to “Panzer Corps 2”