Skipping Towards Victory: the Panzer Rules the Waves | Quick Video Guide

A new story begins...
The sequel to a real classic: Panzer Corps is back!

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

Hexaboo
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Skipping Towards Victory: the Panzer Rules the Waves | Quick Video Guide

Post by Hexaboo » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:39 am

Hey everyone, I've just published a new guide in my PzC2 campaign, and this time, it's about finally finishing it with a German victory. How do you roll through the waters of the English Channel and the Atlantic Ocean? How should you *actually* play the Moscow scenario? What happens to you after the war?

If you're looking around for the early path to victory:

https://youtu.be/V9KkDHhiIpc

A few tips for those still deciding where to better step into the Soviet Union:

https://youtu.be/kEPWAnTlgwg

Props to Slitherine for providing me with a press copy of Panzer Corps 2!

Keep playing everything Panzer Corps! :twisted:
Last edited by Hexaboo on Fri May 01, 2020 5:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Erasermarek
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Re: Poland South or Poland North? PzC2 Quick Overview and PzC1 Giveaway

Post by Erasermarek » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:04 pm

So why you dont write here as Nerdator?

Hexaboo
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Hexaboo » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:49 pm

Long story short, I've lost that account, as it somehow got deleted (the posts are still there, but the admins haven't found my credentials in their databases), so re-registering was my only choice, and I've decided on a more relevant username. :)

Longasc
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Longasc » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:12 pm

So... Poland North.

I wonder how similar these missions are to that of the Grand Campaign DLC of Panzer Corps 1!

Hexaboo
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Hexaboo » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:40 pm

Longasc, if you mean Danzig Corridor North/South, then it's sort of the same! You get North via marginal victory in Poznan (which is why I suspect not many people have seen that scenario), but it's much easier than South — and it yields more prestige overall than South does!

Coincidentally, I did video guides about both these missions a while ago. :)

Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:40 pm

Longasc wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:12 pm
So... Poland North.

I wonder how similar these missions are to that of the Grand Campaign DLC of Panzer Corps 1!
As much as humanly possible, 'very different' was the goal of any expanded content.
Panzer Corps 2 doesn't really cover the most pivotal battle of the Polish Campaign: Battle of the Bzura.

So something like that is begging for attention.

Hexaboo
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Hexaboo » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:58 am

Yeah, the first time I tried the Piatek mission, it blew my mind — 'what, a proper defensive mission in Panzer Corps'?

MickMannock
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by MickMannock » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:39 am

Kerensky wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:40 pm
As much as humanly possible, 'very different' was the goal of any expanded content.
Panzer Corps 2 doesn't really cover the most pivotal battle of the Polish Campaign: Battle of the Bzura.

So something like that is begging for attention.
The difference between vanilla campaign and the grand campaign DLC is very much scope, as I see it.

Vanilla campaign have a much broader perspective while grand campaign DLC have a much more narrow focus, going into more detail (and tends to have much more historical flavour, which is why I like it so much).

And I would very much look forward to the battle of the Bzura!

Hexaboo
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: Sedan or Belgium? PzC2 Campaign Quick Video Guide

Post by Hexaboo » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:20 pm

Shamelessly necroing, shamelessly bumping, shamelessly plugging. Dear mods, please don't kill me. :D

Hexaboo
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: Barbarossa South, Centre or North? Tackling the Bigg'un | Quick Video Guide

Post by Hexaboo » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:24 pm

Zombies, arise!

Hexaboo
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: Skipping Towards Victory: Time to Crush the Soviets | Quick Video Guide

Post by Hexaboo » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:52 pm

Yanking the thread up for selfish purposes! Sorry if testing your patience! :)

KesaAnna
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by KesaAnna » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:53 am

Longasc wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:12 pm
So... Poland North.
I'll watch the video.

But I LIKE Poland South. :(

KesaAnna

Post by KesaAnna » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:17 am

Hmm , I LIKED the , " Panzer Classes -- The Decreasingly Good " precisely because of why I DISLIKED it ; It seems completely devoid of sentiment.

Hexaboo
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Hexaboo » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:28 am

KesaAnna wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:17 am
Hmm , I LIKED the , " Panzer Classes -- The Decreasingly Good " precisely because of why I DISLIKED it ; It seems completely devoid of sentiment.
What do you mean? :)

(Poland South is absolutely fine, it's just a slightly more difficult and infantry-oriented branch).

KesaAnna

Post by KesaAnna » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:00 am

Hexaboo wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:28 am
KesaAnna wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:17 am
What do you mean? :)
Well , I love Stukas , And I love Sdkfw 222 recon cars. I love AA guns , especially the cheap ones. I love cavalry , heck , I love anything horse - drawn.

I love assault guns / tank destroyers , and the Jagdtiger most of all.

As I understand it , the North African / Mediterranean theater was the ugly stepchild / was third priority , so the Germans used a lot of Italian equipment . I don't know if that is reflected in the game though ,
I'm still playing Poland and Norway over and over again , so I haven't gotten to North Afrika .

If it isn't , I'll lobby whenever I can for allowing the Germans to purchase Italian equipment . And , yes , I wouldn't mind substituting some Italian tanks for German ones , and I certainly wouldn't mind switching out a Stuka ( as much as I love the Stuka ) for a Breda Ba . 65 . Because I absolutely love the Breda Ba. 65 too.

But , as you may have already inferred ( ? ) these are primarily , and admittedly ; aesthetic choices , and emotional choices.

( wth the exception , I still insist , of the Stuka. I'm convinced the Stuka doesn't get enough respect. They should have mass - produced it. ( But did the Germans ever mass - produce anything ? ) Of course the Stuka was dead meat without air supremacy . So what ? Tactical bombers that can hold their own in air combat are a case of the EXCEPTION that PROVES THE RULE. The rule should be ; two different platforms for two different tasks. )

And , in any case , no game , no matter how historically faithful , can be perfectly so. At some point concessions must be made to produce a playable and fun game.

And it would be nice to win once in awhile.

So here I am , bumping your thread . :wink:

I think you are a lot more practical and pragmatic than I am.

And , FYI , since discovering your videos , now I swear by them , and they constitute my Panzercorps 2 " Bible " . :mrgreen:

( when I want to know what WORKS , as opposed to what I wish were so because I think its pretty or cool . )

KesaAnna

Post by KesaAnna » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:30 am

Hexaboo wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:28 am

(Poland South is absolutely fine, it's just a slightly more difficult and infantry-oriented branch).
I agree 100% with your assessment of Poland South.

Not to cast aspersions on the game , ( I Love the game ) but the briefing for the second part of Poland South is terribly misleading , and basically utterly bogus.

You could camp out and not move an inch for twenty turns : The Poles will NEVER blow the bridges.

Take Pielce in 5 turns or less ?

Lol , mount your infantry and artillery , utterly disregard fog of war , send your entire force due east crashing across the river utterly heedless of losses , there still isn't a snowballs chance in Hell that you will take Pielce in 5 turns.

So the Poles will be able to reinforce if you don't take Pielce in 5 turns ?

It really doesn't matter . You will always outnumber and outclass the Poles roughly three - to - one.

Send only a token force north , on a leisurely sight - seeing. The northern section of that map isn't really a priority.

Anyway , as you rightly point out , the game itself gives you pretty strong hints that the players best option is to go with Poland North.

I simply ignored it , and I have an aesthetic and emotional obsession with Poland South. :mrgreen:

Hexaboo
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Hexaboo » Fri May 01, 2020 5:22 pm

KesaAnna wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:00 am
As I understand it , the North African / Mediterranean theater was the ugly stepchild / was third priority , so the Germans used a lot of Italian equipment . I don't know if that is reflected in the game though ,
I'm still playing Poland and Norway over and over again , so I haven't gotten to North Afrika .

If it isn't , I'll lobby whenever I can for allowing the Germans to purchase Italian equipment . And , yes , I wouldn't mind substituting some Italian tanks for German ones , and I certainly wouldn't mind switching out a Stuka ( as much as I love the Stuka ) for a Breda Ba . 65 . Because I absolutely love the Breda Ba. 65 too.

But , as you may have already inferred ( ? ) these are primarily , and admittedly ; aesthetic choices , and emotional choices.
Yeah, I agree, the lack of Italian core units is a bit disappointing. They are mostly garbage, but they do offer flavour, and if PzC1 Afrika Korps is any evidence, there would be definitely people trying to do all-Italian runs of PzC2 North Africa (and succeeding!).

I think they could have worked well as limited-issue prototypes you get at the beginning — you're not forced to use them, but you can if you want to.

(oh, and there's a new vid out :mrgreen: )

KesaAnna

Re: Skipping Towards Victory: the Panzer Rules the Waves | Quick Video Guide

Post by KesaAnna » Sun May 03, 2020 8:53 am

I'm a long way from Merry Old England , and North America.

I made it to Moscow -- via North Afrika. But , after all I have learned from you and Edmon , I started over.

This game could use some story - enhancing art like the old Panzer General. With that thought in mind , your image of a Maus parked atop a crushed letter in the Hollywood sign sounds like a good idea. Maybe another picture of the German victors partying with some Valley Girls. ( You did suggest that our commander is famous for his parties. )

I hope you eventually get around to covering North Afrika. :mrgreen:

Hexaboo
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Hexaboo » Sun May 03, 2020 11:36 pm

KesaAnna wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 8:53 am
I'm a long way from Merry Old England , and North America.

I made it to Moscow -- via North Afrika. But , after all I have learned from you and Edmon , I started over.

This game could use some story - enhancing art like the old Panzer General. With that thought in mind , your image of a Maus parked atop a crushed letter in the Hollywood sign sounds like a good idea. Maybe another picture of the German victors partying with some Valley Girls. ( You did suggest that our commander is famous for his parties. )

I hope you eventually get around to covering North Afrika. :mrgreen:
Good luck with your new campaign! :) Maus crushing the Hollywood sign perhaps would be too tacky, but a proper ending sequence would be great. As of now (spoiler alert!) you're just sent to the main menu without anything in the end, and that's disappointing. Though given that the developers seem to be working quite hard stamping out problems, they might address this too! Even a set of slides with voiceover, and maybe a few statistics for the entire campaign would do the trick.

Once I'm done fooling around with the story of what happens to Herr General after the war ends (there's a bit of a cliffhanger at the end of the video if you haven't seen it :mrgreen:), I'll definitely turn my attention to the Mediterranean theatre, probably reviewing it as an alternative to Barbarossa; there's certainly more than meets the eye there.

KesaAnna

Post by KesaAnna » Mon May 04, 2020 3:58 am

Hexaboo wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 11:36 pm
Maus crushing the Hollywood sign perhaps would be too tacky,
Or too provocative.
Hexaboo wrote:
Even a set of slides with voiceover, and maybe a few statistics for the entire campaign would do the trick.
My guess would be that if they address it at all , ( for all I know , programming it into the game after the fact is easier said than done ? ) This is pretty much , generally , exactly what they will do. Some kind of narrow and specific focus on statistics , your core , the campaigns your core participated in , and the hardware your core used.

I wish they would include your characters picture and name somewhere in there. I suppose it is an eccentric and minority taste , but I spent 30 minutes or an hour picking out a portrait and name for my general. ( Including an elaborate biography for the character , and a back story for my army. :D )

But you never see the portrait or name again in the game.
Hexaboo wrote:
I'll definitely turn my attention to the Mediterranean theatre, probably reviewing it as an alternative to Barbarossa; there's certainly more than meets the eye there.
There certainly is more than meets the eye there.

I passed on Russia , frankly , because it looks intimidating. Secondly , for personal reasons that I won't go into , the very name , " Barbarossa " acutely depresses me.

And , finally , for reasons that would require a wall of text , I'm obsessed with the Mediterranean theatre and the North Afrikan campaign.

It starts out deceptively simple enough. Libya is no more involved , and no greater a scale , than Belgium or Dunkirk. Except that now you have a lot more core slots.

So , if you can't wipe the floor with the Brits in this campaign , then you are hopelessly incompetent.

Your next scenario is a defensive action ---- you have at this point never been on the defensive . :shock:

But it turns out again to be not such a big deal.

Then you get another defensive action after that. That's a bit annoying . You wonder , " Are we ever going to start making forward progress again ? " :x

Adding to the annoyance , Rommel keeps making threats about retreating and packing it in if you don't win and win big.

But , again , it's no big deal.

After that though , the campaign snowballs and mushrooms.

Then you have a choice ; Follow the defeatist loser Rommel to El Alameine , ( No thanks ! ) or push on to Egypt . ( Yes ! )

Well .... Egypt isn't too bad , except the British armies keep getting bigger and tougher , which means that pretty much nine out of ten actions need to be combined - arms efforts. Because , while your tanks have improved , they STILL aren't quite as good as Allied tanks.

At least , specifically Grants and Matilda's. Your shells pretty much bounce off Grants and Matilda's. You have to surround them and cut them off from supply and / or suppress them significantly. Stuka's will murder them --- but you need air supremacy to bring out the Stuka's.

Otherwise your ten strength Stuka will get busted down to a four strength Stuka , and that's no fun . Because Allied fighters really love the Stuka , except that's no compliment !

After Egypt you go to Palastine , and , admittedly , Palastine isn't too bad --- except , potentially , it can START in a very ugly way.

You cannot deploy all your forces in the southern deployment area , and the southern deployment area is lousy tank country anyway.

You have a northern deployment area , for an amphibious attack on Beirut. An amphibious attack on Beirut seems like a good deal.

Except your tanks cannot land and attack on the same turn , and your infantry and artillery cannot land and entrench on the same turn , and Beirut is only three or four hexes from Damascus , and there are Allied tanks and infantry in Damascus.

Without artillery support from the Italian navy offshore you are , best case scenario , going to get mauled , worst case scenario , you will get wiped out.

What's left of the British navy is a shell , but it is still there. If your Italian navy simply ignores it , your Italian navy will get chopped up . And , like I said , you very much need the Italian navy artillery support in your amphibious landing.

After Palestine you go to Iraq .

Iraq ?

Surely Iraq will be a side show and a mop - up ?

No !

Maybe it's my imagination / confirmation bias , but you seem to meet the biggest , strongest British army here. Also , the map is carved up by two major rivers , the Euphrates and Tigris , and , yes , Baghdad is carved up into three defensive islands by these rivers. Maybe you have never used Bridging pioneers before , and will never use them again ? But I see no way to win this scenario without at least one , better two , units of Bridging pioneers. Trying to bulldoze your way over the available bridges is going to be unavoidably ugly.

After that you go to Persia / Iran , and the foothills of the Caucuses . Same story here ; This is no side show or mop - up.

The British Army is smaller --- but they are joined by the Russians. The British air force is as large as ever , and it is joined by the Russian air force.

Here I thought myself wise for investing in four units of fighters back in France , and for having made the sacrifice to upgrade all four to four slot FW 190's going into Persia.

I found that all I could do was park my Stuka and Strat bomber at an airport well behind the lines doing nothing , while my fighters systematically destroyed every fighter he had , which took at least 6 turns.

In the same way , with my ground forces , in Persia , like in the previous Iraq , I took my ENTIRE army and methodically swarmed one target at a time , and prayed that I could clear the map before time ran out.

Because ANY splitting of forces only resulted in a stalemate , or a Custer's Last Stand , somewhere.

Finally you enter the Caucuses proper , and leave the British behind.

A nice story bonus here is that you are told that , while you are operating 500 or a thousand miles away , the point of this particular campaign is to relieve pressure on the 6th Army at Stalingrad , which is in imminent danger of collapse. So your mission , basically , is , " Save the boys at Stalingrad ! " :D

( And make Germany Oil rich , and the Russians now oil poor , by seizing the Baku oil fields. )

Like Norway , this map is terrible tank country. Unlike Norway , you certainly seem to need the tanks anyway. Like with the amphibious landing at Beirut and the employment of the Italian navy , in Palestine , there is no clear and rational choice here. Only an ambiguous compromise.

You gotta love and hate whoever made this map. It's a series of ugly bottlenecks.

Maybe the the thing to do is spend 6 or 10 precious turns climbing mountain ranges ? Otherwise , your avenue of approach , and where you are going to attack , is bloody obvious. Geez , it's like the Kursk defenses --- in the mountains .

At least I already had the four FW 109's , and his air force here is modest , and the weather is good. My air force was free - ranging by turn 5 .

Finally you go to Moscow , and presumably after that the Second Russian capitol ?

So it seems there is no avoiding Russia after all. :mrgreen:

All of this is probably more than you wanted to know or read. But I haven't noticed a description of the North Afrika campaign here on this forum so far.

Return to “Panzer Corps 2”