Bug Reports

A new story begins...
The sequel to a real classic: Panzer Corps is back!

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Re: Bug Reports

Post by PoorOldSpike »

terminator wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:06 am When something doesn’t work the way you want it to, you tend to think it’s a bug when it’s not...
Yes, and even playing at different difficulty levels can have a dramatic effect.
GomezAdams
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by GomezAdams »

Add hero bug report.

I just bought the game a few days back. I went ahead and dove in head long to the campaign set on easy. After advancing one or two missions when I went to exit deployment I received a warning from the game. It was something like:

You have heroes you have not yet assigned. Do you still want to exit deployment?

That's when I finally figured out where the camo and heroes section was. I had three heroes I had not assigned yet. So I was easily able to assign the first two, but the instant I assigned the third the game instantly crashed. Just POOF! Gone to desktop.

It had a panel in its place that had the option to send the report, which I did.

So I restarted the game and tried again. Same thing. The instant I assigned the third hero, instant crash to desktop.

So I restarted once more, assigned just the two and went on my way. It's been flawless ever since. I simply assigned the one I didn't get to the next mission, so there's obviously something about assigning three heroes that the game doesn't like.

Not sure if that's a bug you need to worry about fixing or not, but thought I'd mention it.

Fantastic game though. It really is very well done!
Patrick Ward
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Patrick Ward »

GomezAdams wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:37 pm Add hero bug report.

I just bought the game a few days back. I went ahead and dove in head long to the campaign set on easy. After advancing one or two missions when I went to exit deployment I received a warning from the game. It was something like:

You have heroes you have not yet assigned. Do you still want to exit deployment?

That's when I finally figured out where the camo and heroes section was. I had three heroes I had not assigned yet. So I was easily able to assign the first two, but the instant I assigned the third the game instantly crashed. Just POOF! Gone to desktop.

It had a panel in its place that had the option to send the report, which I did.

So I restarted the game and tried again. Same thing. The instant I assigned the third hero, instant crash to desktop.

So I restarted once more, assigned just the two and went on my way. It's been flawless ever since. I simply assigned the one I didn't get to the next mission, so there's obviously something about assigning three heroes that the game doesn't like.

Not sure if that's a bug you need to worry about fixing or not, but thought I'd mention it.

Fantastic game though. It really is very well done!
Yeah sorry about that. The three heroes bug is currently fixed and should be implemented with many others in the next update.

Pat

Pat a Pixel Pusher

Scrapulous
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Successful attack causes unit experience to decrease!

Post by Scrapulous »

Units sometimes lose xp when they attack, even when the outcome is favorable.

For example, in these two screenshots, my 3000 xp Verdeja attacks a French fort in the Orenthal scenario. My Verdeja suffers 2 suppression damage, and the fort suffers 1 regular damage and one suppression damage. All fine so far. But my Verdeja now has xp of 2985, a loss of 15. Perhaps this is because the scenario maximum is 3000. In any case, it's strange and unexpected and seems like a bug to me. The game also said "34th Verdeja 2 has gained a star!" even though it already had a star. I think there is a problem with how xp is being counted.
xp loss 1.jpg
xp loss 1.jpg (325.71 KiB) Viewed 3150 times
xp loss 2.jpg
xp loss 2.jpg (298.74 KiB) Viewed 3150 times
Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Tassadar »

I have noticed this as well - it sometimes happens when units are close to the exp cap for the campaign. It's usually not a big deal, since with the next attack they are usually able to regain that lost exp, but agreed it's probably due to the way it is calculated.
GomezAdams
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by GomezAdams »

Scrapulous wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:18 pm Units sometimes lose xp when they attack, even when the outcome is favorable.

For example, in these two screenshots, my 3000 xp Verdeja attacks a French fort in the Orenthal scenario. My Verdeja suffers 2 suppression damage, and the fort suffers 1 regular damage and one suppression damage. All fine so far. But my Verdeja now has xp of 2985, a loss of 15. Perhaps this is because the scenario maximum is 3000. In any case, it's strange and unexpected and seems like a bug to me. The game also said "34th Verdeja 2 has gained a star!" even though it already had a star. I think there is a problem with how xp is being counted.
xp loss 1.jpg
xp loss 2.jpg
That actually makes sense.

Notice the -2 suppression you get on that attack? That means that some of your troops are "shell shocked" and not operating at full strength, so the XP lowers to reflect that weakness until they recover.
Scrapulous

Post by Scrapulous »

GomezAdams wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:09 pm
Scrapulous wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:18 pm Units sometimes lose xp when they attack, even when the outcome is favorable.

xp loss 1.jpg
xp loss 2.jpg
That actually makes sense.

Notice the -2 suppression you get on that attack? That means that some of your troops are "shell shocked" and not operating at full strength, so the XP lowers to reflect that weakness until they recover.
Are you speculating or is this something you have observed in circumstances where units are not at the xp cap? I have never seen this in any other circumstance and I'm honestly skeptical that suppression is designed to lower xp, in part because this unit's xp did not return to 3000 the next turn when the suppression "healed," as you claim it should have.

As far as I know, the only two mechanisms in the game that can reduce a unit's XP are 1) giving it green reinforcements and 2) upgrading it to a unit of a different class.

Incidentally, the Verdeja 2 acquired 5 suppression on that attack - 3 from support fire and 2 from the fort itself. You can see the 5 suppression on the Verdeja's unit summary at the bottom of the second screenshot. If suppression is indeed intended to reduce XP temporarily, and being nearly half suppressed (5 of 11 strength points) only reduces xp by 15, then I would argue that the effect is so weak as to be meaningless. 15 temporary xp loss will have no impact on something like 98.8% of combats, for instance (61 possible values out of 5,000 where that xp loss can cause the unit to 'lose' a star). This makes me think it's even more likely that what I'm observing is a bug rather than a feature.
GomezAdams
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by GomezAdams »

I'm not anal enough to roll over on every single instance of combat, but suppression doesn't always magically cure the instant that one attack is over. Here's the write up on it from an online manual:

Suppression means that a portion of the target's unit strength does not participate in combat, i.e. is not used in combat calculation. Suppression is caused in regular combat and is cleared after the engagement is resolved.

Long-term suppression is a different beast. It's caused by artillery, strategic bombers, and capital ships and lasts until the unit is attacked directly or the turn ends. By temporarily disabling a part of the unit's fighting strength, suppression allows for breaking up powerful enemy units and reducing your own losses on the attack.

Suppression is shown on the UI bar on mouseover, displaying the precise number of suppressed points. It's also indicated by the unit's strength color. Yellow means moderate and red means heavy suppression.

You got hit not only by the entrenched position, but also by the artillery backing it up. That's why you didn't recover at the end of the turn. That removes the units from consideration, hence dropping the XP which is used to calculate their combat effectiveness.

I didn't program the game, but it makes perfect sense to me that it would work that way.

I've had units get surrounded that stayed red and couldn't fire at all for 2 turns or more. It happens.
Scrapulous

Post by Scrapulous »

GomezAdams wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:19 pm I'm not anal enough to roll over on every single instance of combat, but suppression doesn't always magically cure the instant that one attack is over. Here's the write up on it from an online manual:

Suppression means that a portion of the target's unit strength does not participate in combat, i.e. is not used in combat calculation. Suppression is caused in regular combat and is cleared after the engagement is resolved.

Long-term suppression is a different beast. It's caused by artillery, strategic bombers, and capital ships and lasts until the unit is attacked directly or the turn ends. By temporarily disabling a part of the unit's fighting strength, suppression allows for breaking up powerful enemy units and reducing your own losses on the attack.

Suppression is shown on the UI bar on mouseover, displaying the precise number of suppressed points. It's also indicated by the unit's strength color. Yellow means moderate and red means heavy suppression.

You got hit not only by the entrenched position, but also by the artillery backing it up. That's why you didn't recover at the end of the turn. That removes the units from consideration, hence dropping the XP which is used to calculate their combat effectiveness.

I didn't program the game, but it makes perfect sense to me that it would work that way.

I've had units get surrounded that stayed red and couldn't fire at all for 2 turns or more. It happens.
Right, so let's use the manual's terms. "Suppression" never appears on the main UI - you will only see it when you look at combat logs. It's always gone at the end of that specific combat.

"Long-term suppression" shows up as the blue floating text above a combat, and as the blue, broken-heart symbol in unit stats. It will heal entirely at the start of a new turn unless the unit in question is encircled (or starts its turn next to an enemy that has the hero trait that gives suppression to enemies).

The way that Long-Term Suppression "disabl[es] a part of the unit's fighting strength" is that it prevents a certain number of shots from being fired. So a unit with a unit strength of 11, like my Verdeja in the screenshots, gets 11 shots in combat under normal circumstances, one for each point of strength. One way of thinking about it is that there are 11 tanks in the unit, and each of them gets an attack. If the unit has 5 Long-Term Suppression, then 5 of its 11 strength points don't get to participate in combat, and it behaves as if its unit strength were 6 instead - or only 6 of the unit's tanks get effective shots off and the other 5 are confused or concussed or rendered ineffective by the chaos of battle.

That effect, of reducing an enemy unit's effective strength, is much, much more impactful than reducing xp by a paltry 3 per point of suppression. The difference is so huge that it's hard to see the xp reduction as anything deliberate - it's a nearly insignificant debuff.

In the case that I reported, the Verdeja's suppression was gone at the beginning of its next turn, but its xp was not restored. So even if you're correct and suppression is supposed to temporarily reduce xp, the reduction I saw was permanent.

Incidentally, I just did a small test: I had that same Verdeja, again at 3000 xp, attack a Polish Strongpoint. The Verdeja lost 2 unit strength and received 1 Long-Term Suppression. Its xp remained at 3000. So one way or another there is a bug. Either your speculation is correct, and the game is supposed to be lowering unit xp when units receive suppression and usually doesn't, or my thinking is correct, and the game is not supposed to be lowering xp because of battles, and the fact that both Tassadar and I have noticed one specific corner case where it happens is because there's a bug in that specific corner case.
Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Tassadar »

I actually have a small theory about it, not based on any facts, but a possibility. AO campaign use a experience gain reduction to a specific percentage of the core value since they are much longer and this allows to avoid getting max stars too soon. This means that the value of exp is adjusted by a specific multiplier and while the game will show for example 3000, it can actually be 2999,456833 or something like that. When a unit attacks, it still gains some of that exp and tries to go up to ideal 3000, but in specific cases when the amount to gain and gained happen to have some specific values, this overflows and deducts the difference between current and max. It would make sense it was not particularly noticeable in the base game as it never used adjustments for exp gain like AO does.
GomezAdams
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by GomezAdams »

Scrapulous wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:25 pm The Verdeja lost 2 unit strength and received 1 Long-Term Suppression. Its xp remained at 3000.
Again, that sort of makes sense to me.

In the first scenario you posted, you had an overstrength unit that lost only one unit but you had 3 long term suppressions into that. A dead man can't be suppressed, so I can only assume (again, there's a LOT of guess work on my part here) that what that boils down to is a unit of 10 with 3 suppressed so you get the deduction.

In your second scenario you lose 2 units but only get one suppression, so the reduction would be so small it wouldn't register. After all, dead men don't cost you XP. The ones still alive still have it. What's more, even with the three suppressed units you had before the XP only dropped15 points. A third of that would be 5 points. If the system rounds up or you had fewer than 10 troops left that might make it not deduct anything at all as far as XP goes.

Again, pure guesswork on my part. I'm sort of surprised that a mod hasn't weighed in on this at all yet. It would be nice to figure out what's going on.
Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Tassadar »

I have noticed that a bug reported in the past seems to have come back. The AI makes attacks on units it should not be aware of at all, that are outside its visibility range. I first noticed it and reported when this appeared with the introduction of combat predictions for enemy attacks. It then got fixed apparently (intentionally or as a side effect of some changes), but possibly patch v1.02.04 reintroduced it again? It adds to the challenge since now the AI cheats and can snipe unprotected units. It makes their planes much more dangerous as they now magically are aware of juicy targets.
Wolfenguard
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by Wolfenguard »

mhh dont know if this is a bug or a feature :)

if you overstrengh units in the AO Campaign and choose in the next campaign the trait no Overstreng, you cant rescale your overstrengh units back to the normal 10 Units strengh.
Xacto153
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Xacto153 »

Just got a new notebook and installed PC 2 on it. Played the 1939 campaign and completed the last Norway scenario. When I loaded the saved file to start the Dunkirk scenario, i noticed I could no longer deploy any unit. Tried loading a older saved game and I even tried starting a new Campaign. Still could not deploy any units to the map. Tried deleting the cache folder with no luck. Any suggestions?
Wolfenguard

Post by Wolfenguard »

Xacto153 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:50 am Just got a new notebook and installed PC 2 on it. Played the 1939 campaign and completed the last Norway scenario. When I loaded the saved file to start the Dunkirk scenario, i noticed I could no longer deploy any unit. Tried loading a older saved game and I even tried starting a new Campaign. Still could not deploy any units to the map. Tried deleting the cache folder with no luck. Any suggestions?
the Classical misstake? to much core units? have you tried to send some of you troops into the reserve?
Grondel
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Grondel »

loading light tanks like the IIc into a Me323 causes weird grafik glitches. currently the two Me323 with a IIc loaded onto them flying above a deepsea hex are submerged like a submarine switched to submerge.
towed guns like sFH 18 or PAK 40 do noz cause the glitch. the grafik glitch might have been caused by using unto after loading the tanks on the plane. the "submerge" glitch remains when flying over land hex.

Edit:
in addition the light tanks are able to unload in any land hex (seen it above desert and desert hill)not just airports.
asuser
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by asuser »

I found a bug when spawning sea mines.
My scenario consists of 3 players: US (0), GB (1), DE (2). After a certain number of rounds, German (Player 2) sea mines should be laid/spawned. Only players 0 and 1 work with LUA spawn command, player 2 does not spawn mines. Another malfunction: The mines are then displayed as (German flag) Allied mines (color code/player color). Strange.

???
asuser

Post by asuser »

... With sea mines it goes to another bug:

When spawning barrage balloons, it is only possible to spawn one balloon per turn. This balloon is displayed with the correct player color but with the wrong faction flag.

Could it be that it's a basic spawning malfunction with structures?
Grondel
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Grondel »

All mechanics mentioned work perfectly, but in certain circumstances they produce unlogical results.

the Gaz AA-Gun is considered a "tank" when in MG mode. the Gaz itself is a soft target. when killing str of the unit the killer-unit will get points for his "Anti-Tank-Veteran"- medal which will give it + hard attack.

getting + hard attack for killing a soft target is kinda weird ;)

sers,
Thomas
CroCop96
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by CroCop96 »

I've noticed that the in-game Panther IVH has only 4 hard attack - I don't believe that's intentional, was there a mistake?

I've never modded my Panzer Corps 2, playing the standard campaign in Italy at the moment.

Thanks for the support, with kind regards!

Return to “Panzer Corps 2”