Favourite units so far?

A new story begins...
The sequel to a real classic: Panzer Corps is back!

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

gokkel
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Favourite units so far?

Post by gokkel » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:10 pm

The game is only out for a few days now, so obviously we are all gaining experience with the game and learning. I am sure there will be more detailed discussions in the future once we all played through the game a bit more.

Still, it could be fun and interesting to discuss what we already learned in these first hours. Do you already have some units that you especially love to bring to battle? Or maybe on the contrary a unit that has disappointed?

Personally I have not played as much yet so I have not gotten beyond the first few scenarios, but Cavalry seems much more attractive than in Panzer Corps 1. It has similar stats to standard Wehrmacht infantry, however with less Air Defense and more mobility. Cost is also relatively high compared to unmounted infantry, but if you add transports the cost becomes very similar again. It can act a bit as a scout because of the increased vision radius, and it can better keep up with your tank forces, where it can assist clearing out units that are in forests and hills. I also got a hero that allows me to take a second movement command with the same unit (however no increase in movement points), so that worked pretty well with my Cavalry.

You probably don't want to bring a lot of cavalry units in the same core, but adding one to the mix seems reasonable to me so far.

Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Re: Favourite units so far?

Post by Kerensky » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:13 pm

Has to be recon cars for me. They have so much utility on top of phased movement, I want a recon unit supporting every front of the battlefield I'm on.

Not the biggest fan of the wheel move recon cars, but those 8 move ATV mid war ones are things of beauty.

MickMannock
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by MickMannock » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:59 pm

I agree with Kerensky that recon is the most improved unit and certainly essential to my core. But other than that I must say the Bf110 is really good compared to the cost and the number of slots it occupy. Useful in both bomber hunting and as a tactical bomber. I feel I need that versatility in this game as PC2's core costs doesn't allow me to have as many fighters as I had in PC1.

Moransky
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Moransky » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:33 pm

Karl-Gerat with hero that allows 2 attacks. I got it at Barbarossa Center. It worth every penny from 3k I paid.

Dmurphy238
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Dmurphy238 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:08 pm

A Pz IVG with a 2x rapid fire hero...an overrunning machine!
Soon it will be a Tiger I!
Last edited by Dmurphy238 on Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hexaboo
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Hexaboo » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:06 pm

Horse transport for towed units!

It's surprisingly good for what it is, and I prefer it to lorries because it's better at cross-country movement, and 40 prestige cheaper (or 70 prestige cheaper compared to SdKfz 10/11).

StuG IIIB is also a solid option for early-war city busting now, I would've never considered it for my core force in PzC1.

MickMannock

Post by MickMannock » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:18 am

Hexaboo wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:06 pm
StuG IIIB is also a solid option for early-war city busting now, I would've never considered it for my core force in PzC1.
Interesting tip. Thank you. Will have to check that out on my second playthrough.

Lakel
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by Lakel » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:01 am

Recon planes. Recon bonus on demand across the map, if no combat needed, a large area revealed. its nice.
Aside from that, Armored Car with the "any damage forces a retreat" + "retreat is a surrender" heroes has led to so many captured vehicles for my army.
Plus i cant really go wrong with my Tiger that gets 2x rapid fire, and bonus initiative with speed. Nothing like overrunning an entire defensive line with one tank in one turn. AT Guns just run over.

Something for the Wishlist though, let Recon gain exp for granting the bonus. Recon cars at least can get their veterancy up for better bonus through combat, planes only choice is to let them get murdered, and that isnt really going to work.

MickMannock

Post by MickMannock » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:07 am

Lakel wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:01 am
Recon planes. Recon bonus on demand across the map, if no combat needed, a large area revealed. its nice.
Aside from that, Armored Car with the "any damage forces a retreat" + "retreat is a surrender" heroes has led to so many captured vehicles for my army.
Plus i cant really go wrong with my Tiger that gets 2x rapid fire, and bonus initiative with speed. Nothing like overrunning an entire defensive line with one tank in one turn. AT Guns just run over.
That is actually a gripe of mine. Some heroes, especially combined, make such OP units that makes me not really like them. I know that I can "not use them", but I still feel some of them are a too unbalanced. Heroes should give a slight bonus, not make them the Incredible Hulk.

ErissN6
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by ErissN6 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:09 pm

Lakel wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:01 am
Recon cars at least can get their veterancy up for better bonus through combat, planes only choice is to let them get murdered.
Yes, I wanted a reco plane in my core, but it never got any experience, zero.

Plaid
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by Plaid » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:22 pm

ErissN6 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:09 pm
Yes, I wanted a reco plane in my core, but it never got any experience, zero.
Default way to obtain recon plane with experience is to upgrade one of your tac bombers into it.
Thats kinda waste of exp though, as recon bonus from stars is not that big.

panzeh
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by panzeh » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:27 pm

I find recon units to be very good, especially as i begin my no-hero generalissimo run. Little fun tip- you can split recon to force surrenders then un-split them for safety.

gunnergoz
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by gunnergoz » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:19 am

My favorite unit so far is the prototype Dicker Max I had until I restarted the game. That thing just devastated any enemy tanks foolish enough to come near it.

janscas
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by janscas » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:14 am

Hexaboo wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:06 pm
Horse transport for towed units!

It's surprisingly good for what it is, and I prefer it to lorries because it's better at cross-country movement, and 40 prestige cheaper (or 70 prestige cheaper compared to SdKfz 10/11).

StuG IIIB was an essential part of my unit composition on PzC1.

Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:17 am

Fallschirmjäger just got a huge boost in my playbook of favorite units.

MickMannock

Post by MickMannock » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:18 am

Kerensky wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:17 am
Fallschirmjäger just got a huge boost in my playbook of favorite units.
Whaaa?

Is that a special feature for the paratroopers? Cause if it is, that's massive.

janscas
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by janscas » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:25 am

Recon units and recon planes are very very good!
I rarely bump onto ambushes now.

In PzC1 was very common because no recon planes and recon units being so weak

Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:52 am

MickMannock wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:18 am
Whaaa?

Is that a special feature for the paratroopers? Cause if it is, that's massive.
Well, yes and no. The special feature they have is the ability to disembark from air transport on any hex. Crete offers the three things needed on maps to make this useful beyond just directly attacking units. A very large map, lots of paratroopers, and lots of air transport. So you have room, and the means, to create mega sized encirclements.

It only took 3 paratroopers to make the encirclement, but I doubled it to 6 to make sure I had this giant encirclement locked down.

MickMannock

Post by MickMannock » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:10 am

Kerensky wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:52 am

Well, yes and no. The special feature they have is the ability to disembark from air transport on any hex. Crete offers the three things needed on maps to make this useful beyond just directly attacking units. A very large map, lots of paratroopers, and lots of air transport. So you have room, and the means, to create mega sized encirclements.

It only took 3 paratroopers to make the encirclement, but I doubled it to 6 to make sure I had this giant encirclement locked down.
I think it's odd that so few units can create such a large encirclement.

For example, next to the highlighted paratrooper in your screenshot, there are two enemy units next to eachother. One is inside the encirclement and the other is on the outside of the encirclement. The positioning of those two units should break the encirclement, given how few units are actually creating the encirclement to begin with.

Lokesz
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Lokesz » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:52 am

I got myself the prototype 'Sturer Emil' self propelled anti tank gun for Barbarossa South. At the start of the mission I got a warning that the Russians had lots of tanks so I invested in the fattest gun available. It was a smashing succes to say the least. After some initial battle I send the Sturer Emil in the open with a few weakened tanks in front of it. The AI went bonkers and send their tanks to take out my damaged units, but ignored the AT gun. Repeat a few turns and the Russian tank army, including some dreaded T34's, is junk. The Sturer Emil dealt at least 5 damage to every unit that attacked.

Note: It is not historic to get a selfpropelled prototype AT unit in june 1941 based on a AA gun that will be developed in 1942. Only after the encounter with T34 and KV1 did Germany decide to rush build some AT units and those were the Marders. A prototype Marder at Kiev is reasonable, a Sturer Emil at Barbarossa is pretty overpowered.

Return to “Panzer Corps 2”