Crazy idea but it would add a ton of replayability...

A new story begins...
The sequel to a real classic: Panzer Corps is back!

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

Edmon
Slitherine
Slitherine

Crazy idea but it would add a ton of replayability...

Post by Edmon » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:48 am

In the "advanced options" for the grand campaign, I think it would be quite cool to be able to select your nationality.

As in, you can play the grand campaign with British/Italian/Russian units etc. No need to change anything about the game (it's obviously ahistorical if you do this) but I just think it would be a ton of fun to master the campaign with the different nationalities units.

This way you can play evil Britian > : D.

Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Re: Crazy idea but it would add a ton of replayability...

Post by Kerensky » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:12 am

So like... just replace your nation entirely? I can imagine all the history buffs going insane at the prospect.

I dunno, it might have some novelty value. If we ever get to invasion USA, I can easily imagine swapping Germans for Soviet forces.

Edmon
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Edmon » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:58 am

Yeah,

The game would carry on as normal as if you were the Germans, but you'd actually be playing as whoever you please in terms of units.

uran21
Panzer Corps Map Designer

Post by uran21 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:18 pm

Actually I play that way sometimes but with some modification to scenarios to add faction I want. I already invaded Norway with Polish units. It is a great fun :D and good for testing units.

jchastain
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by jchastain » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:41 pm

It would likely be fairly easy to create a custom scenario that flips sides as you suggest. I don't think we should expect the devs to support this anytime soon as it does not take much imagination to suspect that the plan is to develop paid DLC that provides scenarios from the perspective of all the major combatants.

Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:29 pm

jchastain wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:41 pm
It would likely be fairly easy to create a custom scenario that flips sides as you suggest. I don't think we should expect the devs to support this anytime soon as it does not take much imagination to suspect that the plan is to develop paid DLC that provides scenarios from the perspective of all the major combatants.
Hmmm, no that's not how it works, I'm afraid. There is nothing 'easy' about flipping sides in a scenario. It is legitimately easier to just build the entire scenario from scratch all over again, than it is to try and frankenstein's monster it by cutting it up and putting it back together with the player on the opposite side and AI where the player used to be.

This goes double true the more complex a scenario becomes, such as Defenders of the Reich or Gothic Line.

The exception is multiplayer, which is purposely designed to work from playing on either end.

uran21

Post by uran21 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:15 pm

Kerensky wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:29 pm

Hmmm, no that's not how it works, I'm afraid. There is nothing 'easy' about flipping sides in a scenario.
It is not about flipping sides (which is complex) but about just adding another faction instead of Germans. So practically you are playing the same campaign but you control some other faction instead. Script codes usually refer to the Player (in Editor sense of the word) and the Player stays unchanged. Auxiliary units on maps have to stay German if they are connected to objectives or scripts. It is not something to be done officially because it is immersion-breaking (starting Barbarossa with US forces for example) but it is a fun mode. I got this idea to test units of other factions on already created content and it turned out to be very fun simply because of its unusual ahistorical setting.

Real_MultiPlayer
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Real_MultiPlayer » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:28 pm

So you want to just use a different countries and use germany as a spring board to attack everyone the way the germans did ...

So russian armies invading russia? french armies fighting the french ?

I cant see any likely hood of a dev making this but if they give players the tools to create actual campaigns then players can make what ever they want..

Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:55 pm

uran21 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:15 pm
It is not about flipping sides (which is complex) but about just adding another faction instead of Germans. So practically you are playing the same campaign but you control some other faction instead. Script codes usually refer to the Player (in Editor sense of the word) and the Player stays unchanged. Auxiliary units on maps have to stay German if they are connected to objectives or scripts. It is not something to be done officially because it is immersion-breaking (starting Barbarossa with US forces for example) but it is a fun mode. I got this idea to test units of other factions on already created content and it turned out to be very fun simply because of its unusual ahistorical setting.
Yes, but my point is that something like playing the Kursk offensive as the British against the Soviets is beyond reality. Yes you can change the 'played defined side' to enable that. I didn't mean that was difficult. ;)

But that's not Panzer General or Panzer Corps, that's full on Civilization. Take historical elements, throw them in a blender, add a completely randomly generated earth, and play with the result that comes out.
Proper historically based content can't just be flipped on a dime.

panzeh
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by panzeh » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:10 pm

So, i've been messing with the editor..

Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:44 pm

Awesome, except when I check my history books, the Soviets invaded Poland from the opposite end of the country. ;)

And I would say this is something that is perfect for modding. Clashing with history is irrelevant for modding, it's all about more fun, more game play.

Return to “Panzer Corps 2”