Changing the Difficulty in Skirmish Single Player?

The Cylons have rebelled. The alliance of the Twelve Colonies falters. Take control of the Colonial Fleet and save humanity from an endless war.
Panzer_Spaniard
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Changing the Difficulty in Skirmish Single Player?

Post by Panzer_Spaniard » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:58 pm

Lat night I went heads up, three Artemis Battlestars and a couple of Atlas's, again three Jupiter Mk1's and I mercilessly wrecked them, taking nearly nothing in damage and losing very little of my fighter compliment (I didn't even issue orders, I just did a fire and forget and let them work).

I feel like the AI didn't take any actual aggressive stance with the Jupiter's, at one point even doing a hard to starboard and showing more of the Port armor....which was 100% gone.

Is there any way to make the skirmish AI behave with more tactical zeal?

Thanks to any who respond or chat.
Lt. Duran
Battlestar Trajan
BSG-91

Gryphon_Space
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: Changing the Difficulty in Skirmish Single Player?

Post by Gryphon_Space » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:05 am

this would require an entire AI overhaul and most of the code would need to be rebuilt from the ground up.

Panzer_Spaniard
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Panzer_Spaniard » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:26 pm

May I inquire as to why such a drastic change? Difficulty is present in the single player campaign, and the AI reacts (even just in battle) a lot more swiftly and surely than in Skirmish.

I just find it odd there is only one difficulty in skirmish and the only augmentation is to take smaller or more lightly armored ships, neuter your munitions capacity, or clip the wings of your fighters.

I am enjoying skirmish as a war games scenario maker, without the current meta of whatever people are doing online. That is more cheese than legitimate battle tactics (no offense to those who enjoy MP).

Do you work on some of the back end code?
Lt. Duran
Battlestar Trajan
BSG-91

Gryphon_Space
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Gryphon_Space » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:24 am

no it's just knowledge of how this game works and how the ai currently operates. good maneuvers, tactics and strategies are basically impossible to program into the ai in this game some form of logic path that can work for any fleet or just not worth it

Panzer_Spaniard
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Panzer_Spaniard » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:26 pm

So, I work in tech, and have previously done full cycle testing for both NOA (Nintendo) and the Microsoft XBox team. They already have the code and schema for difficulty in single player, all AI ships move better, shoot better, are very tactical, even the smaller colonial vessels you meet that are loyal to Sagitaron.

I'm just saying they already have plans for upping Skirmish mode in regards to fleet point cost, and if they are willing to do that (mainly for MP, I suppose) they can also augment the single player experience or make multiple match types.

The whole "season" concept and long term development and continued release cycle is to keep the game fresh, relevant, and maintain a player base. It's not an unreasonable request, and from the testing I was a part of with the beta, I know that they both are able to listen, and adapt to feedback and make big fixes/changes in a dev cycle.
Lt. Duran
Battlestar Trajan
BSG-91

Return to “Battlestar Galactica Deadlock”