Britcon 2019 Game 4 vs Early Successors

Forum for anyone to post reports of their battles and pictures, otherwise known as After Action Reports.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

petedalby
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Britcon 2019 Game 4 vs Early Successors

Post by petedalby » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:57 pm

And so on to the final game on Saturday vs Chris Tofalos who is using a Macedonian Early Successor – so lots more pike again.

Chris’ army IC & 2 TCs, 6 x 8 Pike, 2 x 2 El, 1 x 6 Thracians, 1 x 6 Thorakitai, 1 x 6 Theurophoroi, 1 x 6 LF Jav, 1 x 6 LF Sling, 1 x 4 Cav Lance Sw

As every Britcon regular know this 3rd game on the Saturday is probably the toughest of the weekend. I’ve played Chris before and he is a solid but cautious player but at this point he’s already taken 2 good scalps beating Graham Briggs and David Fairhurst so you underestimate him at your peril. Once again I won initiative and chose Agricultural. There was very little terrain on the table and I was left wondering whether I should have chosen a bit more….

This is deployment – check out all those pikemen!

Chris’ phalanx is supported on 1 flank by his Elephants and Thracians whilst the other has the 2 MF Offensive Spears, LH & LF Sling. The cavalry are in reserve. The MF wing looks to be the most tempting for my cavalry so I attack with my cavalry hoping that the Thracians can cope with a 6 of their opposite numbers and 4 elephants.

As in previous games we’ve played, Chis started to collapse the flank facing my cavalry – which is a prudent move – whilst sending over 2 pike blocks to shore up his position. Thinking this might be the start of a general attempt to disengage I pushed forward with my pikes and Thracians. In my haste to get stuck in I failed to notice how much Chris had weakened his position.

Chis now had 4 x 8 Pikes facing 3 x 10 pikes, one of which was superior and 1 x 8 pike. That feels like a major advantage to me. The problem was the 8 pike was lagging at the back and the others should have waited for them. I also pratted about with my Thracians when they should have just kept going in a straight line.

My LF tried to tempt Chris’ pike into an uncontrolled charge but all passed with the aid of his IC. Unfortunately when it came to my turn I was not so lucky. Despite being with the IC my central block charged. Disaster!

The initial impact wasn’t too bad and one of Chris’ BGs disrupted and lost a base but it was an uphill struggle after that. Chris charged an unengaged BG into my Superiors which meant I could not relieve the pressure on the engaged BG. With twice as many dice the outcome was inevitable barring a major shift in luck.

Not a lot was happening on my right flank as Chris’ army ebbed and flowed backwards and forwards but I was seriously outnumbered and was happy to disengage.

On the left Chris eventually attacked my Thracians with his Thracians supported by a BG of elephants. In a rare bit of luck his Thracians routed. And so did the pike fighting my Superiors. Suddenly we had a flicker of hope!

Average lancers charged superior ones to no effect. The Thracians beat the elephants 4 to 2 in melee but they passed their death roll. The glimmer of hope was fading.

By now all of my pike are routing and I am looking at defeat. I will manage to rally 2 of the pikes back to steady which was some consolation.

Chris commits his IC to melee and I have 2 attempts to kill him but without success. The Elephants stop missing and both Thracians end up routing.

And in a final act of stupidity I allow my LH to be shot at twice. They go fragmented which takes down the army with about 5 minutes to go.

All credit to Chris who will come 3rd in the competition. Frustrating for me to have missed the opportunity that I was given early on and too many other errors followed. Those sorrows will be drowned in beer wine and whiskey later!!
Pete

Return to “Field of Glory AAR's”