"The Hills have eyes" Tournament

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
Daniele
Slitherine
Slitherine

"The Hills have eyes" Tournament

Post by Daniele »

We are pleased to announce another Field of Glory 2 public tournament. This will be played using the normal Field of Glory 2 Multiplayer system and our automated tournament system.

This time we are showcasing the new units added in update v1.5.32.

Anyone who has Field of Glory II can enter. You do not need to own any DLCs to enter.

To enter, go to the tournament page here:
https://www.slitherine.com/tournaments/1/0

The general tournament rules can be found here:
https://www.slitherine.com/tournaments/rules

The first round will commence on Monday 31st August 2020 at 10.00 am GMT. No further entries can be accepted after the tournament has begun.

Specific tournament rules:
This tournament will involve three rounds. Each round will last 14 days. The battles will be Medium-sized custom battles:

Punitive Expedition into Arabia 400 BC: Achaemenid Persian 419-329 BC vs Arab 1000-313 BC. Middle Eastern Hilly.
Invasion of Armenia 69 BC: Roman 105-25 BC vs Armenian (Tigranes) 83-69 BC with Pontic 84-47 BC allies. Mediterranean Hilly.
Armenian Intervention 360 AD: Roman 313-378 AD vs Sassanid Persian 350-476 AD with Armenian 253-476 AD allies. Mediterranean Hilly.

Games are paired, so each matchup will be played both ways. Each player will be able to choose his forces using the normal force selection system. In each round, all players will be playing on the same randomly generated map for both games.
First round pairings will be selected randomly, subsequent rounds using the Swiss Chess system. Nobody will play the same opponent in more than one round.

The scoring system is as follows:
If a game runs to the turn limit, each side scores points equal to the enemy % routed at the turn limit. If the game times out, adjustments may be made, depending on how far the game has progressed and who took longer over their turns – see below.

If one army breaks, the victorious player scores 60 points plus the difference between the enemy % routed and his own % routed. The loser scores points equal to the winner's % routed.

Examples:
1) If Ben defeats Tamas's army, and has inflicted 45% routed on Tamas, and Tamas has inflicted 15% on Ben, Ben will score 60 + (45 – 15) = 90, Tamas will score 15.
2) However, if Ben defeated Tamas’s army by inflicting 62% routed on Tamas, and Tamas had inflicted 56% routed on Ben, Ben would get 60 + (62 – 56) = 66 points, and Tamas would get 56.
3) If the game is unfinished (or it reached the turn limit) with Ben inflicting 20% routed on Tamas, and Tamas inflicting 10% routed on Ben, Ben would score 20, and Tamas would score 10. (Provided that between them they have played at least 24 turns in all – see below).

Note that this system rewards aggressive play over desultory skirmishing. If you rout an enemy unit then hide for the rest of the game, both players will get extremely low scores - lower than if they played hard and lost.

Byes:
If an odd number of players sign up for the tournament, one player will get a bye in each round. In the first round this is random. In subsequent rounds it will be the player with the lowest score. The score for a BYE is 75 points for each game.

Round times and timing out:
Each round will last 14 days.

Any battles that are not completed by the end of the round will be timed out. The player who has had the game in his “My Turns” box the longest overall will be the one who is deemed to be timed out. This will not normally incur any penalties, unless insufficient turns have been played: If the timed-out player has played less than 12 turns, his score will be reduced proportionately, and his opponent will be granted the BYE score if it exceeds his current score. If the timed-out player has played less than 6 turns, he will not be included in the draw for the next round. This is to prevent someone else’s enjoyment being spoiled by being drawn against someone who has apparently dropped out of the tournament.
Ludendorf
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Re: "The Hills have eyes" Tournament

Post by Ludendorf »

(Immediately throws his sword into the ring.)

Interesting theme. So, we're looking at hill combat this time?
pompeytheflatulent
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by pompeytheflatulent »

Is there any plans for large sized armies in tournaments in the future or was that a one-off thing?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

pompeytheflatulent wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:40 pm Is there any plans for large sized armies in tournaments in the future or was that a one-off thing?
It might happen. Generally we will use Medium sized armies.
Richard Bodley Scott

Badger73
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Badger73 »

Is there a procedure to report opponents who consistently disappear from tournament play? For example; my current first round opponent exchanged first turns four (4) days after the tournament started, has only completed four (4) turns since then, and has not replied to our last moves for over a day. Looking up his past performance I noticed that in six tournaments from November 2019 through June 2020 he failed to complete twenty (20) of his matches on time and in the August Sanctus Summer Clash he was dropped from play after timing out of both first round matches.

I doubt that he will finish our first round matches on time for this tournament either. It disappoints me that I won't have a chance to enjoy playing them. I've been snakebit before by tournament no-shows before and I understand when a new player feels overwhelmed and doesn't finish or when a usually reliable player has to deal with more important real life issues than playing a game. However, that's not the case here and my intent is to prevent participants in the next round of this tournament suffering the same frustration at his hands. Ideally, I would like to know how to report this privately to tournament organizers and not make this a public matter. Kudos to all of you who complete your matches!
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Badger73 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:35 pm Is there a procedure to report opponents who consistently disappear from tournament play? For example; my current first round opponent exchanged first turns four (4) days after the tournament started, has only completed four (4) turns since then, and has not replied to our last moves for over a day. Looking up his past performance I noticed that in six tournaments from November 2019 through June 2020 he failed to complete twenty (20) of his matches on time and in the August Sanctus Summer Clash he was dropped from play after timing out of both first round matches.

I doubt that he will finish our first round matches on time for this tournament either. It disappoints me that I won't have a chance to enjoy playing them. I've been snakebit before by tournament no-shows before and I understand when a new player feels overwhelmed and doesn't finish or when a usually reliable player has to deal with more important real life issues than playing a game. However, that's not the case here and my intent is to prevent participants in the next round of this tournament suffering the same frustration at his hands. Ideally, I would like to know how to report this privately to tournament organizers and not make this a public matter. Kudos to all of you who complete your matches!
The tournament system is automated so there is no system of reporting. If he plays less than 6 turns he will be dumped from the next round. If he plays less than 12 and is the slower player, you will get 150 points for the two games.

However, it would be a good idea if repeated offenders were prevented from entering future tournaments. I will talk to the powers that be to see if such an automated system could be implemented.
Richard Bodley Scott

Badger73

Post by Badger73 »

rbodleyscott wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:16 pm
Badger73 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:35 pm Is there a procedure to report opponents who consistently disappear from tournament play? For example; my current first round opponent exchanged first turns four (4) days after the tournament started, has only completed four (4) turns since then, and has not replied to our last moves for over a day. Looking up his past performance I noticed that in six tournaments from November 2019 through June 2020 he failed to complete twenty (20) of his matches on time and in the August Sanctus Summer Clash he was dropped from play after timing out of both first round matches.

The tournament system is automated so there is no system of reporting. If he plays less than 6 turns he will be dumped from the next round. If he plays less than 12 and is the slower player, you will get 150 points for the two games.

However, it would be a good idea if repeated offenders were prevented from entering future tournaments. I will talk to the powers that be to see if such an automated system could be implemented.
I appreciate your quick response. Allow me to suggest, as an additional option, the capability for players to email their opponents from the multiplayer active matches screens via the Slitherine game server to piggy back from the current email notifications we already receive when it is our turn to play. Provide a function button as an option to send an email, select the "To" addressee from the list of active opponents, default the subject line to the match name in progress, provide a text box to type a message from which the server can send a canned email with that information. This would allow opportunities to privately communicate concerns ("I haven't heard from you. Is a problem?") and pro-active information ("I'm on holiday this week and will not exchange any turns for the next five days. Thanks for your patience.") among players. Thank you for looking into this.
SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

So what happens if I have broken more than 40% of my opponent's army, and am up more than 25%, but he has not yet opened the turn? If we time out, would that count as a "draw", or will the system read the % as a win and give me the 60pts?
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

SnuggleBunnies wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:21 pm So what happens if I have broken more than 40% of my opponent's army, and am up more than 25%, but he has not yet opened the turn? If we time out, would that count as a "draw", or will the system read the % as a win and give me the 60pts?
The latter.
Richard Bodley Scott

SnuggleBunnies

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

That's a relief, thanks.
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
Badger73

Post by Badger73 »

Badger73 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:35 pm <snipped>
For example; my current first round opponent exchanged first turns four (4) days after the tournament started, has only completed four (4) turns since then, and has not replied to our last moves for over a day. Looking up his past performance I noticed that in six tournaments from November 2019 through June 2020 he failed to complete twenty (20) of his matches on time and in the August Sanctus Summer Clash he was dropped from play after timing out of both first round matches.

I doubt that he will finish our first round matches on time for this tournament either.
<snipped>
I would like it known that this opponent stepped up and completed both our matches before Round One ended. Last Friday I messaged that I was disappointed by his slow play and that I didn't expect he would finish our matches. He acknowledged, apologized, and responded quickly thereafter throughout the weekend. I give him credit for making good and setting things right.
oscarius
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by oscarius »

Just putting it down for the record my opponent Wakavengerf has played no turns for our second round match (Roman v Armenian), so with five days lost it's uncertain if we'll be able to reach a result even if he does start to play.
ShadowNDust
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by ShadowNDust »

It seems I can abandon a game and I would face no penalty if the game is over 12 turns, even if I took longer to make my turns. Am I correct?
oscarius

Post by oscarius »

Eight hours to go and not a single round submitted to me, can confirm it with screenshots
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

oscarius wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:25 am Eight hours to go and not a single round submitted to me, can confirm it with screenshots
No need, you should get 150 points for the two games.
Richard Bodley Scott

Return to “Field of Glory II”